“A golf course is to be laid out at Leuchars, in Fife, where the game was played sixty years ago, and where it was given up. The ground at Tentsmuir has been found suitable by Tom Morris.” This earlier Leuchars course would have been around the 1830s.
(Edinburgh Evening Times 4.12.1896)
No further references have been found, nor has anything relating to the former links been discovered. It is hard to see how such a development could have survived, given the near-proximity of Scotscraig, and of St Andrews.