Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland
 Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland

Banffshire.

Aberlour Golf Club.  Instituted 1906.  A 9-hole course one mile from the station. “The picturesque little village of Aberlour was on Wednesday afternoon the scene of a very interesting ceremony, the occasion being the opening of a new golf course by Mr and Mrs J.W.H.Grant of Wester Elchies. Like other villages in Strathspey, it was found that to further popularise the place as a summer resort a golf course was necessary, and after considerable deliberations a movement was made to have the scheme carried into practical effect. Provost Jupp, always ready and willing to lend a helping hand for anything pertaining to the welfare of the town, was one of the leading lights in connection with the undertaking. >>

Aberlour Golf Course

 

Aberdeen Journal December 23rd, 1905

Formation

 

Golf Course For Aberlour

 

For some time past there has been a general feeling that a golf club should be formed in Aberlour, and a largely attended meeting was held in the Fleming Hall on Thursday night to take steps for this purpose. Provost Jupp presided and expressed sympathy with the movement. A golf course had now become an essential adjunct to every country district, and the burgh of Aberlour must not lag behind. Their town was beautifully situated on the banks of the lovely Spey. They had a fine climate, bracing air, and scenery second to none.Railway and postal arrangements were excellent. Why, then, he maintained, should Aberlour not become a health resort. ( Applause.)

Mr James Thomson, Merchant, also addressed the meeting. He explained that several places had been examined with a view of securing a suitable course. An ideal spot had been found within ten minutes walk from the town. It belonged to Provost Jupp and Mr Hendry, Flesher.

The ground has been surveyed by Mr Neaves, professional golfer, Lossiemouth, who pronounced that it would form an excellent nine-hole course. The expense of laying it out would not be heavy, and he hoped the initial expenses would be covered by public subscription. He intimated also that Provost Jupp had fixed the yearly rent of the land at a very small figure of 15s per year, and Mr Hendry had generously offered to give the first year of this part of the land free.

After some other gentlemen had expressed their views, the meeting decided that a club should be formed, and patrons and office bearers were appointed. The yearly subscription was fixed at 7s6d for ladies, 10s6d for gentlemen, and 5s for juveniles. It was resolved to go on with the formation of the greens, &c, at once.

A subscription list was handed round, and over £15 was promised, including a donation of £5 from the Provost. After a hearty vote of thanks had been accorded to Provost Jupp for presiding, a very enthusiastic meeting ended.

Elgin Courier June 6th, 1906

 

 The ground in question is in the hands of the Provost and Mr R. Hendry, Flesher, and on these gentlemen being approached they readily consented to place it at the disposal of the club, the former on very reasonable terms, and the latter free for the first year. A Subscription list was next opened, and soon the committee had such a sum in hand that they felt warranted in at once proceeding to have a course laid out.

      The new course, is on the whole a very good one, there being quite a number of natural hazards, such as roads and fences. Some of the greens are very tricky, and must be carefully played. The ground in all extends to about twenty acres, and the course is about a mile in extent. The first hole is at Katie’s wood, and is about 114 yards long. This hole is a difficult one , and requires a full pitch. The second hole goes to the north side of the Shean. It is a good, fair hole, but the ground is rather steep. The third hole, which is from the right side of the Shean and over the gravel hole to the edge of the Hatson Road, requires a cleek shot. The fourth hole runs from alongside the third green, again over the gravel hole directly west, and down to the edge of the Lynn Wood, where the green is a made up one. This hole is 205 yards long and is one of the best of the course. The fifth hole is one of 221 yards long and goes back to the boundary. A full drive is required. Players must be very careful at this hole, for an overdrive is sure to land the ball in a ditch, out of which it would be almost impossible to play a ball. The sixth hole which is 215 yards long, goes back to the west side of the shean, and is in every way a nice playable hole, a ditch and fence having to be contented with. The seventh is a slight cross on the sixth, an iron shot taking the player to the green. At the eighth hole one has to walk to the eighth tee, about 30 yards, where a good drive is got. The hazards consist of a road and fence and further down there is another road and fence. The same kind of obstacles exist at the ninth hole, where a good drive is required.” (ECC 6.6.1906) 

Aberlour Golf Course

 

The Elgin Courant and Courier Friday June 8th 1906.

 

Golf Course for Aberlour

The Opening Ceremony.

 

The picturesque little village of Aberlour was on Wednesday afternoon the scene of a very interesting ceremony, the occasion being the opening of a new golf course by Mr and Mrs J.W.H.Grant of Wester Elchies. As is well known, Aberlour stands second to none as regards scenery, and within the last year or two the number of visitors have been increasingly large. During the summer months hundreds of tourists visit the village to spend a day’s fishing or to climb the lofty Ben, or to wander amid the truly highland scenery. Like other villages in Strathspey however, it was found that to further popularise the place as a summer resort a golf course was necessary, and after considerable deliberations a movement was made to have the scheme carried into practical effect. Provost Jupp, always ready and willing to lend a helping hand for anything pertaining to the welfare of the town, was one of the leading lights in connection with the undertaking.

After a few preliminary details had been settled, a public meeting was held in the Fleming Hall on 21st December last with the object of forming a Golf Club.

Provost Jupp presided at the meeting and there was a large attendance. The Provost expressed his sympathy with the movement and pointed out the benefit the district would derive by having a golf course. At that meeting it was unanimously agreed to form a golf club, and a committee consisting of the Provost, Messrs W Philip,M.A.: A.H. Duff, Bank agent, Craigellachie : Jas Thomson, Draper: J.M.Starchan, M.A. : Jas F.McGowan, Bank Agent : D Morrison, Town Clerk : J.C. Coudbrough, I.R. Dailuaine : Alex Morrison and R.G.Morrison were appointed to carry out the other arrangements. Several likely places were visited by the committee and on Mr Chas. Neaves, the professional of the Moray Golf Club, being called in, that gentleman pointed out that a very suitable nine hole course could be made on the ground adjoining the village, and extending towards the Shean and the Lynn Ward.

The ground in question is in the hands of the Provost and Mr R. Hendry, Flesher, and on these gentlemen being approached they readily consented to place it at the disposal of the club, the former on very reasonable terms, and the latter free for the first year. A Subscription list was next opened, and soon the committee had such a sum in hand that they felt warranted in at once proceeding to have a course laid out.

 This was commenced some months ago and on Wednesday everyone was struck with the per-feet manner in which everyone had carried out. The opening ceremony which was held at the first teeing green was favoured with delightful weather and consequently there was a very large gathering not only Aberlour people but including many from the surrounding districts.

 

The Company Present

 

Among those present were – Provost Jupp. Councillor and Mrs R.G.Morrison, Mr A. Murray, Traffic Agent, Elgin. Mr Stuart, Chemist, Aberlour : Mr Duff, Bank Agent, Craigellachie : Mrs Duff, Do : Mr E. Law, West Lynn : Mr and Mrs James Pirie, Academy Street, Elgin : Miss C. Pirie Do : Mr McGowan, Manchester : Mr and Mrs Forbes, Glenspey, Rothes : Mr and Mrs McIntosh, The Square, Aberlour : Mr and Mrs Muirison Do : Mr Strachan, Teacher : Mr J Thomson, Draper : Mr A Thomson, Do : Mr A. Murison, north of Scotland Bank : Mr and Mrs N. Landale, Aberlour : Mr and Mrs Cheeper, Glenfarclas : Mr J Whyte, The Orphanage : Mr G.K.Macgregor, Spey District Board : Mr and Mrs Goldie, Coinallon : Mr R Gray, Dufftown : Miss J. Christie, Tilt Hotel, Blair Atholl : Miss Henderson, Aberlour Hotel : Miss J Henderson Do : Miss B Edgar, Craigellachie Hotel : Mrs Middlemass, Craigellachie : Dr Sellar, Dunleigh : Mr and Mrs Cotter, Allachy : Mr Coudbrough, I.R., Dailuaine : Baillie Laing, Aberlour : Miss Laing Do : Mrs J Thomson Do : Mr and Mrs F McKerron : Mr J F McGowan, Union Bank : Miss Thomson, Teacher : Mrs P McDonald : Miss Kemp, Teacher : Miss Rundie Do : Miss Hendry, Do : Miss Allardyce Do : Miss Brimms Do : Miss Simpson Do : Mrs Gray, High St : Mr R Hendry Do : Mr and Mrs James Munroe Do : Miss McVean, Teacher : Mrs and Miss Grant, Rosemount : Mr Peters, Union Bank : Mr Fyvie, North of Scotland Bank : Mr James Henderson, Aberlour Hotel : Mr Marshall, The Square : Mr J Nocholl, High Street : Mr M Brown, High School, Elgin : Mr Hugh Stewart, Town Clerk Do : Etc.

Provost Jupp said he had a very pleasant duty to perform, and he was quite sure he voiced the feelings of the gathering when, in their name, he welcomed Mr and Mrs Grantand their son and Heir, Master Archibald Hamilton Grant – ( Applause ).

These were the days of radicalism and rascalism. He was an old Tory, but he was very glad to say that they had not sunk to so low a level as not to be able to welcome their laird amongst them ( Applause ). He thought it was good for them to meet from time to time together, especially on an occasion like that when they were to open their golf course.

He believed that all great undertakings had sprung from small beginnings. Their golf course was perhaps a very small matter – a mere drop in the river Spey – but at the same time it was their hope that from a small beginning it would grow until they had not a nine hole course, but a thirty six hole one – ( Loud laughter and applause ).

For himself he did not see what fun their was in playing golf. He could understand boys playing marbles, but if he was asked the question why men played golf he could find no answer whatever ( Laughter ). When he looked on at them playing golf he rather pitied than envied them ( Renewed Laughter ). He expected however that the knocking about of these balls was a mere excuse to give them an opportunity of walking about in that beautiful spot to enjoy it’s lovely air, but after all he could only regard it as a waste of time ( Laughter ) Be that as it might, every man had his own opinion about things, and perhaps he had lived so long in the world that he had become disagreeable, and therefore they must pardon an old man ( Renewed laughter and applause ).

He was sure they were all very glad to welcome their laird, his lady and his little son, and he hoped the welcome to their son would be a right hearty ( Applause ). He was an only son, but he was not a spoiled boy. They all knew the interest Mr Grant took in agricultural matters, and his presence their that day showed that he was willing to help them to bring visitors to their burgh – ( Applause ) He hoped the golf course would have the effect of doing this. It had been a thing they had long looked forward to , and he did not see why people should not come to Aberlour now they had a golf course. ( Applause ).

He might just tell them that he had a letter the other day from a friend from Oxford who had two sons, and he had stated that both his sons would come to Aberlour for three months if they had a golf course. Seeing they had now got a golf course, he had no doubt these gentlemen would come ( Applause )

It gave him great pleasure in taking part in the opening ceremony, and he hoped the golf club would get on successfully, and that the membership would go on increasing – ( Applause ).

He had now great pleasure in calling upon Mr Grant to declare the course open – ( Loud Applause )

Mr Grant, who was very cordially received, said they had had a very eloquent speech fro Mr Jupp on the benefits of golf – ( Laughter ). It was rather a surprise to him that they had not had a golf course in Aberlour before now, because it was perfectly obvious that it tended to the importance of a small country place to have some attraction if they wanted summer visitors – ( Applause ).If they went to England they would be very much surprised at the enormous number of golf courses, and the enormous number of people who played and with the greatest deference to C Non Jupp, Old men played as well as young men ( Hear, Hear ).

New golf courses were being opened all over England, and a good many in Scotland. He was glad, as a Scotsman, that the Amateur Championship this year was won by their countryman, Mr Robb, ( Applause ).

As regarded Aberlour, it was difficult for him to say anything new. He could only say that Mrs Grant and himself had, and always would, he hoped taken an interest in the place. (applause). He now declared the golf course open and wished it all success- (loud applause).

Mr .J M. Strachan said that on behalf of the club he had to ask Mrs Grant to accept of a golf cleek as a souvinir of the function which she had honoured by her presence (applause). Continuing. He said the cleek bore the following inscription:-presented to Mrs Grant on the opening of Aberlour Golf Course. 6th of June. 1906.

Miss Mattie Thompson. A tiny girl of a few  summers and daughter of Mr Thomson secretary of the club’ then stepped forward and made similar presentation to Master Archie Grant.

The latter presentation was made amid hearty applause.

Mr D Morrison proposed a hearty vote of thanks to Mr and Mrs Grant and said their presence there that day was only another instance of the great interest they took in Aberlour ( Applause ).

Mr Grant in a word, returned thanks. Mr R.J.Morrison proposed a vote of thanks to Provost Jupp, at first he said, they thought of having a course quite near the orphanage, but they had fixed on this one and Mr Jupp had again come to their assistance, and given them the ground on very reasonable terms ( Applause ).

The provost returned thanks, and said most of the credit given him, should have been given to Mr Thomson who had been at great trouble and some personal expense in connection with the club. He proposed a vote of thanks to Mr Thomson – ( Applause )

Mr Thomson in a word returned thanks and the opening proceedings terminated. Tea was afterwards served out to all present by the ladies.

 

The New Course

 

The new course, is on the whole a very good one, there being quite a number of natural hazards, such as roads and fences. Some of the greens are very tricky, and must be carefully played. The ground in all extends to about twenty acres, and the course is about a mile in extent.The first hole is at Katie’s wood, and is about 114 yards long. This hole is a difficult one , and requires a full pitch.

The second hole goes to the north side of the shean. It is a good, fair hole, but the ground is rather steep. The third hole which is from the right side of the shean and over the gravel hole to the edge of the Hatson Road, requires a cleek shot. The fourth hole runs from alongside the third green, again over the gravel hole directly west, and down to the edge of the Lynn Wood, where the green is a made up one. This hole is 205 yards long and is one of the best of the course. The fifth hole is one of 221 yards long and goes back to the boundary. A full drive is required. Players must be very careful at this hole, for an overdrive is sure to land the ball in a ditch, out of which it would be almost impossible to play a ball. The sixth hole which is 215 yards long, goes back to the west side of the shean, and is in every way a nice playable hole, a ditch and fence having to be contented with. The seventh is a slight cross on the sixth, an iron shot taking the player to the green. At the eighth hole one has to walk to the eighth tee, about 30 yards, where a good drive is got. The hazards consist of a road and fence and further down there is another road and fence. The same kind of obstacles exist at the ninth hole, where a good drive is required.

Northern Scot Christmas Edition Dec 25th 1906

 

Opening of Aberlour Golf Course.

 

On Wednesday, June 6th, the inhabitants of Aberlour and the people of the district had the satisfaction and pleasure of seeing realised what it is no exaggeration to say had been the dream of many years – a golf course for the burgh. For a considerable time previous much had been spoken on the subject and numerous suggestions thrown out, but talk took practical form in December of last year, when a public meeting for the purpose of furthering the proposal was held. A committee, namely – Rev. Provost Jupp, Messrs W. Phillip, M.A. ; A.H. Duff, Craigellachie ; J.M. Strachan, M.A. ; James M.McGowan, Donald Morrison, J.C. Coulbrough, I.R. ; Alex Morrison, and R.G. Morrison – was appointed with powers. Subsciptions towards the expenses of the course were advertised for and found a ready response. Provost the Rev. Cannon Jupp headed the list with £5, while Mr R. Hendry gave £3 and Mr J.W.H. Grant of Wester Elchies £2.2s. Other subscribers included representatives of all classes in the town and parish, which was striking evidence of the general interest taken in the movement.

The opening ceremony was favoured with splendid weather. Mr J.W.H. Grant, Sperior of the burgh, declared the course open. He was introduced by Provost Jupp. Who discoursed racily on the reasons why golf is played. Mr Grant referred to the benefit that accrued to all places of tourist resort by the introduction of  golf courses. Mrs J.W.H. Grant played off the first ball, and was presented with a handsome golf cleek, suitably inscribed and having fastened to it a dainty bow of Grant tartan. A club of suitable size was also presented to Master Archie Grant by Miss Mattie Thomson.

The course is picturesquely situated on a height to the west of Aberlour. It is at present in a rather rough condition, but with constant play ought to improve vastly. It is distant about five minutes walk from the railway station.

Aberdeen Journal June 10th, 1910

Aberlour

 

A large company assembled on the golf course on Wednesday on the occasion of the opening of the new pavilion. After tea, Mr Goldie, I.R. Declared the pavilion opened. Play was then commenced, mixed foursomes being engaged in.

Aberdeen Journal January 10th, 1928

Part of article on changes to the town in 1927

 

New Golf Course

 

A putting green was laid out in the public park during the summer, and a new golf course is being constructed at Muir Of Ruthrie, operations on which are being started forthwith.

Aberdeen Journal July 28th, 1928

Cake and Candy Sale

 

A successful cake and candy sale, organised for the Aberlour golf course, was held in the Fleming Hall. In the unavoidable absence through indisposition of Mrs Cummings, The Dowans, the sale was opened by Lady Lucas Tooth, Aberlour House, who, in the course of an interesting speech, commended the inauguration of a golf course as an attraction for visitors. The sale realised the sum of £35 8s 3d, which amount was augmented by a dance held in the evening.

Aberdeen Journal May 23rd, 1930

 

Aberlour Enterprise

_______________

 

New Pavilion and Course Opened

By Mrs Cumming

_______________

 

In presence of a large gathering, the new pavilion and Aberlour golf coursewere officially declared open by Mrs J.F. Cummings, the Dowans, who was introduced by the Captain, Mr J.A.J. Munroe,as one who, with her household, not forgetting their highly esteemed President, had taken a great interest in the club from its early days, and had generously helped them to secure so fine a course. ( Applause )

Expressing regret at Mr Cumming’s absence, Mrs Cumming said she was delighted to learn of the progress of the club, and hoped it would continue to prosper. ( Applause.)

Mrs Cumming then unlocked the door of the new pavilion, and declared both it and the course officially open.

Mr Lawrence, retired builder, Craigellachie, moved a vote of thanks to Mrs Cumming. Mrs McWilliam, Glenmorag, in name of the club, presented Mrs Cumming with a beautiful inlaid golf club walking-stick.

 

Asset To The Town

 

Provost Allerdyce complimented the contractors on the tasteful pavilion and congratulated the golf club on their fine course as a valuable asset in attracting visitors to Aberlour, and hoped the club would continue to meet with the encouragement they deserved. ( Applause.)

Master Miller Stirling, The Dowans, drove off the first ball – a beautiful drive.

Messrs Smith, Lossiemouth, and Phimister, Grantown, the professionals, played an exhibition round.

Tea was served, and a foursome match – Captain V Vice Captain, followed.

 

Aberdeen Journal May 9th, 1931

Aberlour Opening

 

Aberlour golf course was opened for the season by Mr Lawrence, Craigellachie, Captain, In presence of a large company. An interesting match between Captain, and Vice Captain ( Mr James Walker, Aberlour) was on by the former by 7-5. An excellent tea was served by the ladies, and a pleasant social time was spent by the large company under ideal weather conditions.

Aberdeen Journal May 4th, 1935

Seasonal Opening

 

Aberlour golf course was opened for the season when Ballie W.A. McConnachie, Captain, thanked councillor A.H. Macintyre, the retiring Captain, and members of the committee for the efficient manner in which they had carried out their duties during the past season. Tea was served by the ladies with Mrs W.A. McConnachie as convenor .A mixed foursome math, President V Vice President, resulted in a draw.

Aberdeen Journal May 7th 1937

 

Aberlours Course Opened

 

In unfavourable weather conditions Aberlour golf course was opened for the season on Wednesday afternoon by the Vice Captain, Mr R.M. Tocher, During the afternoon, mixed foursomes were played.

 

Aberdeen Journal May 7th, 1938

Seasonal Opening

Aberlour Golfers Start

 

In delightful weather, Aberlour golf club’s course was opened for the season by Mr Wm. Miller Carron, Captain. In a mixed foursome match between Captain and Vice Captain, Mr Fred Hendry, the Captains team won.

Aberdeen Journal May 16th, 1940

Seasonal Opening

 

Mr R. Tocher, Captain, welcomed the company at the opening of the Aberlour golf course for the season, and tea was served by a committee, with Mrs Barron, Lillybank, as convenor. In a mixed foursomes match the Captain’s side defeated the Vice Captain’s by one match.

Note : the course probably closed in the 1940s due to the war etc.

Print Print | Sitemap
forgottengreens.com