Looking over the old Broadford course today
Broadford Golf Course ( Skye ) 1909.
Oban Times, August 14th 1909.
New Course at Broadford, Skye.
Broadford Golf Club. Founfef 1909d. "On Thursday last the Broadford golf course was formally opened by Dr A.D. Mackinnon, C.M.G., of Duisdale, in presence of a number of spectators.
After the course had been declared open, Mr Malcolm Macinnes, who presided, thanked Dr Mackinnon on behalf of the club for performing the opening ceremony, and assured him that his kindness was greatly appreciated by all concerned. Mr Macinnes then called on Dr Wm. Macleod, Broadford, to present Dr Mackinnon with a silver mounted golf driver bearing a suitable inscription, as a souvenir of the occasion.
After Dr Mackinnon had expressed his sincere thanks for the beautiful golf club presented to him and for having been invited there, he and Mr A. Macdonald, the club’s secretary, engaged in playing a round over the course. It may be mentioned that the golf course is over an excellent piece of ground on the township of Harrapool Common grazing, and with it’s natural bunkers and hazards, lovers of golf have now at their disposal a course that affords plenty of skilful play.
Mr Machardy, Chief Constable for Inverness-Shire, very kindly marked out the greens. He being an excellent player, and having already marked out 90 courses, is all the recommendation that is necessary." (OT 14.8.1909)
"A 9 hole course, laid out on Harrapool Common, three miles from Broadford and Kyleakin Piers. Holes range from 150 to 450 yards and there are plenty of natural hazards. Membership 20 (local)” (GA1909-10)
Last mentioned in The Golfers Handbook in 1929. In 1933 there is an entry for Strath Golf Club, also a 9-hole course.
There are then no entries until 1937 when Ashaig Golf Club at Breakish appears with the same Greenkeeper as Strath GC. It remains until 1956, with no details other than the name, the greenkeeper, and the location