Leadhills Golf Courses
Hamilton Advertiser April 16th 1889
Leadhills ( Lowthers ) Golf Club.
Lowthers golf club - Like so many communities of late the natives of Leadhills and Wanlockhead have succumbed to an attack of golf. The club with the above name was formed some time ago and now numbers (including ladies) over 30 members. Mr Noble presented the club with two handsome medals - one for ladies and another for gentlemen - to be competed for monthly. Mr Noble succeded in gaining the medal in the first competition, with a scratch score of 83. Mr Edmond, Wanlockhead, presented a cleek and club as handicap prizes, and the Rev Mr Symington came in for the first with 99 less 25 = 74 ; Mr Simpson and Mr Murray being equal for second. In playing off the tie they finished as before, Mr Simpson 101 less 22 = 79, Mr Murray 94 less 15 = 79. A third tussle was tried, when Mr Murray gained the club. On Saturday last six ladies played for Mr Nobles medal. The winner was Miss Kate Hastie, Leadhills ; Mrs Allan, Wanlockhead, second ; and Miss Maggie Hastie third.
Ham Ad. 10th Jan. 1891. Leadhills.
A Short Holiday in the Upperward. (Curlers & Golf)
Sir - Leadhills has an interesting history, nestling at the base of the Lowther Range, surrounded on all sides by heather clad hills, gashed with deep scaurs and destitute of trees. It is the centre of a district rich in story of the doings of the Covenanters. It has played it's part in the religious history of Scotland ; and not only there, but also in the scientific and political history of our country, it shines. Symington's engineering genious was fostered here ; and here too, Allan Ramsay the poet,
"Aft has wid thro' glen, wi shirken feet,
When neither kilt nor plaid could find the weet,
Yet blithely wad he bang oot owre the brae,
And stand owre burns as licht as ony strae,
Hoping the morn may prove a better day."
In winter the village is wrapped in deep repose, unless when John Frost makes his annual visit. Then the inhabitants throw off their lethargy, and, shouldering their "besoms" give him a right hearty welcome. It was under his auspices that our New Year's holiday was spent so happily. Our good friends there arranged for us a day on the ice, and, having marshalled their forces, led us to Horners Dam. The usual preliminaries having been gone through, the sides were chosen (with an equal number of the greenhorns) and soon we were busy trying our skill at "drawing, gaurding, lifting this ane owre the T, or taking an inweek off that ane". The glory of a young man is in his strength, but alas ! for the glory of that day. The ice was "drug" and the wrong side of the "hog" was too often the resting place of the greenhorn's stone. Then a turning of stones from the "flat" to the "croon" was resorted to, and "potlids" became frequent, followed by the usual shaking of hands, presentation of a sweetie, or some other compliment, while the hills re-echoed our shouts of victory. Our daffin and chaffin, however, was prematurely ended (much to our regret) by rain beginning to fall, but we left the ice hopeful that `ere morning John Frost would assert his supremacy. It was not so. Overnight the thaw increased, and on the morrow our skips led us forth to do battle on another field, viz., the golf links. Golf is a recent introduction to the village, but already some prizes have been brought home by those sent forth to do battle with other champions. Here, though the course is a small one (and might easily be increased without injury to anyone) the day was pleasantly spent. The trial of skill as on the previous day, proved the opposing forces to be nearly equal, thus leaving us to look forward with great zest to another combat twelve months hence. It will please the friends of "Curliana" to know that an effort is being made to resuscitate the curling club, and I doubt not that by another season the cunning skips will again enter the lists against all comers, and will again listen to the old village bell ringing forth it's peal of welcome on their return from many a well contested bonspiel. When the heart is weary, and the whole man sick with the bickerings of trade, and the noise and din of city life, a holiday such as this does much to recuperate the worn-out faculties, and bring the needed refreshment to life. The season of the year makes little difference. In summer we wander o'er the rugged hills or dip down into the valleys plying the rod and line with eager watchful eye ; but it is at the New Year season, when old friends are forgotten, and each with outstretched hand wishes his fellow "A Guid New Year" in all sincerity, that heart meets heart around the fire-side, or on the curling pond, and all feel that even gloomy winter lends it's aid in making man to man brothers. - I am etc.
Ham. Ad. July 4th 1891.
Lowthers golf club - The monthly challenge medal was competed for on Wednesday, Mr Edmond, Wanlockhead, being the winner with a score of 82. This is the least number of strokes in which the course of 18 holes has been accomplished.
Ham Ad. 4th March 1893. Leadhills.
Golf : The competition for the monthly gold medal took place last Saturday, the 25th ult. The morning was frosty, but before play began the course was in fair-good order, and the scores were better than was expected. The medal was won by Mr Edmund with a score of 80. At a meeting held afterwards, it was unanimously agreed to appoint Capt.Brown, Liverpool, as hon.president. It was also agreed that the club (ladies & gentlemen) should have a drive to some neighbouring course for a day's play. It may be mentioned that the gold medals are played for as follows ; Ladies, 3rd Saturday, and gentlemen's last Sat. each month.
Ham Ad. May 13th 1893. GOLF.
Leadhills ; The members of the Lowther Golf Club played their monthly competitionon Wednesday last. The scores were ; W.J.H.Noble 78 (medal), J.Edmunds 80, D.Gibson 83, Dr Dunlop 84, J.Shankland 86, P.Hastie 93, Rev C.P.Blair 94, J.McKerrow 94, J.Wilson 95. On Friday a competition for prizes took place, with the following results ;
1. D.Gibson 78 less 3 = 75
2. W.J.H.Noble 77 scr. = 77
3. J.McKerrow 92 less 14 = 78
4. J.Edmund 79 scr. = 79
4. R.Dempster 85 less 6 = 79
6. Rev C.P.Blair 84 less 4 = 80
7. J.Wilson 92 less 10 = 82
7. P.Hastie 89 less 7 = 82
9. Dr Dunlop 91 less 7 = 84
10. J.Shankland 97 less 9 = 88
Ham Ad. 5th August 1905. New Course ??
Lowthers Golf Club ; The annual meeting of this club was held in the miners library. A new course of nine holes, granted by kind permission of Mr White and Mr Wilson, has been opened. It has an altitude of fifteen hundred feet, and may be reckoned the highest in Britain. It has been well patronised by visitors and others.
(Wilson, Hass farm ??)
Ham Ad. 4th August 1906. Broadlane Park.
Local notes - The golf course at the Broadlane Park is still proving a great attraction to visitors. - Hay cutting has commenced in unfavourable weather. - The July visitors have now left, and strangers have arrived for August. Houses are well let for this month. - etc. - The district has been largely visited this season by excursion parties.
Ham Ad. July 11th 1908. Leadhills.
Local Notes ; The golf course, which is one of the highest in Britain, has once more been put in order for play.
Ham Ad 1st May 1927. Leadhills.
Golf course ; The new golf course laid out by Mr Tennant at Woodbush is proving very popular, and is likely to be more so as it becomes wider known. We hear a well known Scottish golfer went over the course and was highly satisfied with it. It's close proximity to the station should make it very suitable for day visitors, and we hope to see it well patronised.
Hamilton Advertiser, May 18th 1935
All roads lead to the new golf course to-day ( Saturday ) and weather being fine there will be a large attendance at the opening ceremony. The club has done an excellent stroke of business in securing the services of the two well known players to play an exhibition game – Mr L.G. Crawley, the British Walker Cup player and the winner of the silver cross at St Andrews this week.
His partner, Mr E.H. Moss, is a well known Oxford player, and along with C.K. Cotton was winner of the London Amateur foursome in 1934. Several trophies have been gifted by generous donors for play during the season. The best wishes of all sportsmen are extended to this new venture.
Hamilton Advertiser, May 25th 1935.
The new golf course which was opened on Saturday, 18 inst, should prove an added attraction to the village for summer visitors. The visitors to Leadhills are now well catered for, and can enjoy in addition to quiet walks among the Lowthers, angling, bowling, tennis, and golf. The first competition on the new golf course attracted a large number of enthusiasts, and was won by Messrs D. Walker and J. Marr.- The promiscuous pairs on the bowling green resulted in a win for Messrs D. Clark and D. Miller.
Famous Player Plays Round.
The long delayed realisation of the hopes and aspirations of golf lovers in the little village of Leadhills came on Saturday, when the great L.G. Crawley, former Essex County Cricketer, noted amateur golfer, and former Headmaster of Warriston School, played off the first ball on the newly constructed 12 hole course. The course is the highest in Scotland.
On the opening day, the snow still lay thickly on the hills, and on some of the fairways drifts still lingered. But the coldness of the weather could do nothing to spoil the enthusiasm of the Leadhills people for their enterprise. A large crowd – close on two hundred people – were present on the course, and followed Crawley and his partner, Moss, of the English Universities, as they played round. There were visitors from many of the surrounding towns and villages, and there were also representatives of the Hopetoun Estates Development Company Ltd, from whom the ground for the course has been let at a small annual rent.
Mr Wm. Aitken, Captain of Lanark Golf Club, and well known to the people of Leadhills, was also present.
It is to four men – W. Thomson, George Brown, William Marr, and David Stewart – that most of the credit for the actual construction of the course must go. During the months of Winter, since September last, they have worked at the construction of the greens and tees with no other incentive than their love of the game. The result of their work is admirable, and it is only a matter of time and continued care for the greens and tees to improve in surface and firmness. The course itself is nothing if not “ Sporty.” Up hill and down dale, but all the very best of fun.
Leadhills, which was hit hard when it lost it’s industry, has kept up it’s indomitable spirit in adversity.
Throughout the whole county the people of Leadhills are known for their friendliness and for the fact that as a community they represent the reality of what elsewhere is a legend or a lost hope – they are really a community, and work together for the common good.
The new golf course is a result of this community spirit, and the four men chiefly concerned in the work, and their occasional helpers, have taken full advantage of the help of the Marquis of Linlithgow and the Hopetoun Estates.
The Captain of the club is Mr W.T. Stewart, and in his speech at the openeing ceremony, he very ably expressed the past, present and, he hoped, the future of the young course and it’s members. He referred to the former course and the efforts during recent years to resucitate it. The opening day, Mr Stewart said, was a great event. It saw the realisation of their ambition. He spoke of the efforts that had been made for the course, and expressed the gratitude of the members. A few had done the hard work concerned, but many had in various ways contributed to the realisation of the dream. The greens and tees were well made. All that was needed to perfect them was the co – operation of nature. The club-house was an asset to the club. The subsciption – six shillings per annum – was probably the lowest in Scotland. Mr Stewart appealed to the younger generation to support the club.
After the Captains speech, Mr Crawley and Mr Moss played off. Good golf was shown all the way round, and the crowd watched with interest. After the game the Captain thanked the players for their help in giving the club a send-off and gifts were handed over to them by Mr Joseph Marr. The players thanked the club for the gifts, and said that as Englishmen, they were very proud to have been asked to open the highest golf course in Scotland. Dr Black thanked all those who had given equipment and prizes for competition to the course. Tea was provided for the guests in the club-house, and at 6pm an open competition was held.
A siver cup has been given for competition by the Marquis of Linlithgow, and one has also been given by Messrs Nole and Milligan, law agent and secretary of the Hopetoun Estates Development Company Ltd.
Hamilton Advertiser, July 27th 1935.
An open to-all golf foursome took place at the course. There was a large entry. After some keen play this competition was won by Messrs Wm. Marr and Archie Brown, Messrs R.W. Marr and Wm. Thomson being second. In a ladies competition for a putter, one of the clubs so kindly presented by Mrs Joseph Marr of Prestonpans, Nurs Kennedy was successful, beating Mrs Bulloch in a stern struggle, which was carried to the twenty first green. It is gratifying to be able to announce that the membership of the course is now over seventy.
Hamilton Advertiser, August 3rd 1935
Leadhills, Local Notes.
In the latest promiscuous game at the golf course Messrs John Moffat and John Bulloch were the successful competitors , Messrs W. Thomson and T. Marr being runners- up. In the semi-final for the clubs presented by Mr Joseph Marr, Messrs R.W. Marr and R. McKendrick beat the brothers T. and J. Marr by 3 up and 2 to playand now go on to meet Messrs W. Marr and T. Brown in the final.
Hamilton Advertiser, August 10th 1935.
The two-ball foursome promiscuous game was won by Messrs R.W. Marr and T. Johnston, the runner ups being W. Marr, Wanlock, and W. Marr, Hexholm. The monthly medal was won by W. Thomson, a success which met with the delight of all his clubmates. This week the club has been put in possession of the Hastie Trophy, a magnificent piece of silver in the shape of a fruit-dish. The membership still increases to the further congstion of the course.
Hamilton Advertiser, September 19th 1935.
The concluding round of the Marquis of Linlithgow Championship Challenge Cup was played on Tuesday evening under pleasant weather conditions, and for the second year in succession Mr D. Walker proved his golfing ability by emerging a comparatively easy winner with what must be considered the excellent and consistent scores of 78, 79 and 75 – total 232 – for the three rounds, evidently only a little above par golf under a course which, to say the least, is by no means an easy one.
Hamilton Advertiser, November 21st 1935.
The annual general meeting of the Leadhills Golf Club was held in the Rechabite Hall, on Tuesday. The financial statement showd the club to be in a flourishing state. The following officials were appointed ;- President, Mr R.W. Marr ; Secretary, Mr T. Walker ; Tresaurer, Mr Gavin Gibson ; Committee – Messrs A. Brown, G. Brown, R. McKendrick, W. Marr, and Dr Black. A new layout of the course was decided upon, and it is understood that operations in this respect will be taken in hand during the winter months.
Hamilton Advertiser, August 22nd 1936.
The weekly promiscuous game was won by Messrs W. Thomson and R. McKendrick with Messrs D. Walker and A. Lyon occupying second place. The first round of the club championship was played on Tuesday under rather depressing weather conditions. Still great enthusiasm exists and competition is close.
Hamilton Advertiser, September 26th 1936.
Mr D. Walker won the final of the gents monthly medal, and he has been a most consistent winner in the seasons various competitions.
Hamilton Advertiser, March 27th 1937.
A general meeting of the Leadhills golf club took place on Monday evening. The President Mr R.W. Marr was in the chair, and announced that plans for the new season were well in hand. Mr John Moffat was appointed greenkeeper. The official opening will take place on Saturday 10th April.
Hamilton Advertiser, April 24th 1937.
The official opening of the Leadhills golf club took place on Saturday. Postponed from the previous Saturday owing to unfavourable weather, it almost looked as though a second postponement would be necesary for the same reason. It cleared up, however, just in time for the opening and the small band of enthusiasts who had risked conditions and turned up to time, was rewarded with a pleasant afternoons golf. The opening ceremony was performed by the club’s President, Mr R.W. Marr, who in a neat speech, expressed the hope that the club’s third season would prove to be harmonious and successful. He then drove the first ball in a two-ball foursome competition which was ultimately won by Dr Black and Mr J. McKendrick.
Hamilton Advertiser, May 1st 1937.
The management committee met in the club-house on Wednesday and made the following changes in office bearers, due to the removal of Mr David Walker from the district ;- Secretary, Mr Gavin Gibson ; Match Committee, Messrs A. Brown , J. Bulloch and W. Marr. A new layout of the course which uses the ground to more advantage is now in operation.