Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland
 Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland

Queen Of The South.

The Kingholm, used by the local golf clubs of Dumfries as a links, is a piece of merseland running alongside the river Nith below Dumfries for a distance of nearly one mile. It is anything but a golfer's ideal course, being covered for the most part with coarse tufty grass, on which cattle are grazed, and presenting few or none of the features, in the way of hazards and bunkers, possessed by most seaside greens in Scotland. Such hazards as are now encountered are mostly artificial. The ground fell into the hands of the Crown some years ago, and was, with the adjoining estate of Hannahfield, allocated to the War Office to provide camping, parade, and drill-ground for the 3rd 3. S. Militia, and accordingly for two months each summer, golf is practically prohibited over half the Kingholm. The links are " common," in this respect ; but the War Office has given the town of Dumfries a right of use in the Kingholm for purposes of public recreation. Consequently, it is open to all-comers to play over the series of nine holes and greens maintained by the Dumfries and Galloway Golf Club, and used also by the Nithsdale  and the Mechanics' Golf Clubs. The record score (professional) is 68 (34 and 34), by William Fernie, about 1884 ; but the round of nine holes has twice been done in 33 by George Fernie, the present greenkeeper and club professional.

A ship at anchor on the Merse

Queen of the South Golf Club

 

Glasgow Herald June 22nd, 1891

Dumfries, New Golf Club

Formation of club

 

At a meeting of several members of the old Mechanics Golf Club, held on Friday night, it was resolved to form a new club, to be called the Queen Of The South. Sheriff Campion was appointed President, and it was resolved to try to get possession of the medals which belonged to the former club.

Queen of the South Golf Club.

 

Scotsman May 23rd 1892

 

 Founded 1891.  A 6-hole course in the Kingholm Public Park in Dumfries.  The course is covered with coarse grass, on which cattle are grazed, and it has few hazards.  It was rented from the Town Council by Dumfries & Galloway GC to whom QOS paid a rent for use of the course.

A match between these clubs took place on Kingholm course, Dumfries on Saturday. There was a strong wind, and rain fell heavily at intervals, beside which the greens had previously been pretty well soaked. Despite these unfavourable conditions the game proved thoroughly enjoyable and resulted in favour of the home side.” (S 23.5.1892)

Last mention 1902.

Scotsman May 23rd 1892

 

Dumfries and Galloway  V  Queen of the South. Scotsman 23rd May 1892

 

A match between these clubs took place on Kingholm course, Dumfries on Saturday. There was a strong wind, and rain fell heavily at intervals, beside which the greens had previously been pretty well soaked. Despite these unfavourable conditions the game proved thoroughly enjoyable and resulted in favour of the home side.

 

Print Print | Sitemap
forgottengreens.com