Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland
 Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland

Kilmarnock, Ossington.

Ossington from golfing annual 1889

 

GOLF CLUB, INSTITUTED 1888.Entrance Fee, lil. Is. ; Annual Subscription, Ten

Shillings ; Number of Members, 105. Captain J. H.Turner, Esq. Committee Messrs. A. Yates, S. Smith, Jas.Blair, Hugh Lauder, D. McCulloch, A. Turnbull. Secretary John Sturrock, Solicitor, Kilmarnock. Greenkeeper T Ramsay.

Club Prizes. Walker Medal, played for under handicap, on the first Saturday of each month ; Gold Scarf Pin, presented by the Club to the most successful competitor for the Monthly Medal. These prizes are to be played for this year for the first time.

Golf at Kilmarnock is a thing of very recent date indeed, as the Club Directory. 233

first meeting of this club was only held on the last Saturday of March,1888, on which day the green at Holme Farm was declared open. The course is one of eighteen holes, and about a mile and a half round. There are some capital putting greens. The golfers of the town of

" braid bannets" are evidently enthusiasts, as the membership already reaches over one hundred.

Ossington Golf Club.  Founded 1888. A 9-hole course, on land at Holmes Farm about a mile and a half in length with excellent putting greens.  The season is from October 1st until the end of April. The club flourished from the beginning, but relations with the landlord were not good as the grass was too long and eventually, in 1893-94, a herd of cattle was allowed to roam over the course. The members decided to find a new course and rented land at Barassie. In September 1894, Ossington GC dissolved and Kilmarnock (Barassie) GC was formed.

Ossington Golf Course

Kilmarnock Standard December 17th 1887

New Golf Club

 

Golf is taking possession of Kilmarnock and a number of other inland towns, and we give it a hearty welcome. As an invigorating and health-giving game it has no equal. It is mere interesting than cricket ‘ not dangerous like football ; and unlike these sports, and Lawn Tennis, and Bowling, it can be played all year round. The committee appointed to take the requisite preliminary steps towards the formation of the new golf club have acquired a field on the farm of Holmes, which will be found most suitable for the purposes of the game. It is 45 acres in extent, situated within ten minutes walk from the middle of the town, and besides being of soil of a favourable character, has in some parts an unevenness of surface which will provide the “ Hazards” of the game. Those gentlemen who may have forgotten or omitted to respond to the invitation of the committee, should reply without delay, as, although the committee are desirous of commencing operations as soon as possible, they do not wish to exclude any of those invited who may still wish to join the club. We are glad to learn that the project is being largely appreciated, and gaining the support it so well deserves.

Kilmarnock Standard March 17th 1888

Golf Club

 

In consequence of the unfavourable weather which has prevailed, the condition of the greens and the course is not quite so good as could be desired nor as it will be when the contemplated operations can be completed ; but the committee are anxious to allow the playing of the game to be commenced as early as possible, and have therefore decided to open the ground to the members of the club to-day, as announced in our advertising columns.

Ayr Advertiser March 20th 1888

Golf

Some time ago a proposal was made to form a club for the practice of golf. It was heartily taken up, and now the “ Ossington Golf Club” members nearly a hundred members. Ground for the links was secured on the Holm Farm on the outskirts of the town, and they were duly formed, and on Saturday the links were formally opened in the presence of a large turnout of the members, Mr Fernie, Professional, Troon, being on the field. Mr Alexander Walker, of Piersland, having made a few remarks, declared the links open. Thereafter, he and Mr Fernie challenged Mr A. Yeats and Mr D. McCulloch for a game. This was accepted, and at the close the former were found to be 4 holes up on a full round of 18 holes. We understand that the committee propose this year to form links for the use of ladies, several of whom, have expressed a desire for the game.

           Ayr Advertiser March 20th 1888

                                   Golf

Some time ago a proposal was made to form a club for the practice of golf. It was heartily taken up, and now the “ Ossington Golf Club” members nearly a hundred members. Ground for the links was secured on the Holm Farm on the outskirts of the town, and they were duly formed, and on Saturday the links were formally opened in the presence of a large turnout of the members, Mr Fernie, Professional, Troon, ( In Picture ) being on the field. Mr Alexander Walker, of Piersland, having made a few remarks, declared the links open. Thereafter, he and Mr Fernie challenged Mr A. Yeats and Mr D. McCulloch for a game. This was accepted, and at the close the former were found to be 4 holes up on a full round of 18 holes. We understand that the committee propose this year to form links for the use of ladies, several of whom, have expressed a desire for the game.

Kilmarnock Standard March 20th 1888

 

Kilmarnock Ossington Golf Club

_____________

Opening Of Golf Ground

 

Until a comparatively recent period it has always been supposed that the royal game of golf could only properly be played on the seaboard ; and it is needless to dispute that the exhilarating sea breezes, the greater suitability of the ground in certain localities on our coasts, and other circumstances, give the game a zest and fascination which make it there peculilarly attractive and invigorating. It is, nevertheless, equally true that the game can be played, and thoroughly enjoyed, in places occupying an inland situation ; and the result of “ trying the experiment” has been that golf clubs have sprung up in a considerable number of inland towns, and the game is becoming more and more popular.

Kilmarnock is seldom far behind in any movement of this kind ; and as the game suits both old and young, can be played practically the whole year through, and has many other advantages to recommend it, it was bound sooner or later to take root here. In the end of last year a few enthusiastic golfers “ laid their heads together,” and ultimately called a meeting by circular for the purpose of considering and deciding whether a club should be formed. In response to the invitation a large and influential meeting was held, which took up the matter with hearty good will, and appointed a committee with powers to secure suitable ground, form the greens, and take the necessary steps for active operations. A capital field, forty five acres in extent, on the farm of Holmes, and in the immediate vicinity of the town, was accordingly secured. Unfortunately the weather has been since most unfavourable for the formation of the teeing and putting greens, and it was only last Saturday that the committee considered their operations sufficiently advanced to admit of regular play being commenced. There is still some little rolling and a few odds and ends to be done before the condition of the ground is such as the committee wish to make it, but it seemed to be a surprise to all thos who took part in the game on Saturday that such an excellent course could be formed and such a first rate game enjoyed at their own door. There are nine holes at fairly good distances, and two rounds ( 18 holes,) make a match. Close upon a hundred members have joined the club, and of these fully one half turned out in the course of Saturday afternoon and assited in inaugurating the club.

At 12 o’clock, noon, Mr Walker, of Piersland, the honorary President, struck off a ball from the first teeing ground, and in a few felicitous words declared the ground open. Thereafter Mr Walker, and Mr Fernie ( The Troon Professional, ) who had kindly consented to be present, challenged Mr A. Yates and Mr D. McCulloch to a “ foursome”

The latter, who are both good players, were the favourites ; but the Troon professional was in splendid form, and the hon. President was always “ on the line,” with the result that they defeated their opponents by four holes upon the two rounds.

Altogether the opening was a most auspicious one, and the club is to be congratulated on having the prospect of a most successful career before it.  

Ayr Advertiser March 20th 1888

Golf

Some time ago a proposal was made to form a club for the practice of golf. It was heartily taken up, and now the “ Ossington Golf Club” members nearly a hundred members. Ground for the links was secured on the Holm Farm on the outskirts of the town, and they were duly formed, and on Saturday the links were formally opened in the presence of a large turnout of the members, Mr Fernie, Professional, Troon, being on the field. Mr Alexander Walker, of Piersland, having made a few remarks, declared the links open. Thereafter, he and Mr Fernie challenged Mr A. Yeats and Mr D. McCulloch for a game. This was accepted, and at the close the former were found to be 4 holes up on a full round of 18 holes. We understand that the committee propose this year to form links for the use of ladies, several of whom, have expressed a desire for the game.

Kilmarnock Standard September 29th, 1894

Ossington Golf Club

 

Change Of Golf Course

 

The Kilmarnock Ossington golf club had a meeting in the “ Ossington” on Wednesday night. Mr D. Lauder, Captain, presided. There was a good turnout of the members. The committee, which had been appointed to try and arrange for better terms with the tenant of Holmes Farm, and at the same time make enquiry as to the possibility of securing ground on favourable terms at Barrassie, gave in a report to the effect that they had been unable to reach any satisfactory arrangement with Holms Farm tenant, but were successful in making a provisional arrangement for acquiring necessary and suitable ground at Barrassie. A motion was unanimously carried that the present course be given up, and that steps be taken at once to secure the ground at Barrassie on terms to be arranged by the committee. The following were elected office bearers for the ensuing year :- Hon. President, Mr J. Harling Turner ; Hon. Vice Presidents, Mr Hugh Lauder, Westmont, and Mr A. Yates, Norwood ; Joint Secretaries, Mr Charles Reid and Mr Alexander ; Treasurer, Mr Charles Reid ; Captain, Dr Lawrie ; Committee, Messrs Rankin, McAllister, William Brown, James H. Dunlop, John Davidson, Dr Wm. McAllister, D. Lauder ; Green Committee, Messrs A. Yates, H, Lauder and John Paton. The meeting agreed that the present members of the club pay the usual subscription till end of April, 1895. It was also agreed that the annual general meeting of the club be held in spring, when the entry money and subscription for the ensuing year will be fixed. It was resolved that two-thirds of the committee, at least, be residents of Kilmarnock. It was agreed that ladies may play over the course at Barrassie till April on same terms as at Holms Farm. The new course lie between the two railways, and is 123 acres in extent, being three times larger than the course at Holms. We understand that the committee are pushing forward the arrangements as rapidly as possible, so that the members may have the advantage of the new course at an early date.

Print Print | Sitemap
forgottengreens.com