Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland
 Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland

Port Appin.

Appin Golf Club.  Founded 1897.  A 9-hole course 10 minutes walk from Port Appin pier. 

Formation of a golf club

 

   "A golf club has just been started here with a course of nine holes over ground kindly granted by Mr Wm. Brown, farmer. The opening ceremony took place on Saturday, 10th inst, at 6pm, before a large company, when the President drove off the first ball. A belated bonfire, which had  wet to ignite on Jubilee Day, was fired during the evening on a knoll just overlooking the course, to celebrate the occasion.

   The holes are nicely planned and there are plenty of hazards, including running water, bog, and dyke.

   The situation of the course near the sea commands fine views of Loch Linnhe from various points. Several local gentlemen have agreed to become patrons, and the secretary is Mr David D.F. MacIntyre, Kenlochlaich Mains, to whom all communications regarding the club may be addressed." (OT 24.7.1897)

   "The new course recently opened is largely taken advantage of in the evenings during this fine weather, the ladies showing a large sprinkling among the players of the time honoured game." (OT 7.8.1897)

   "On Saturday 21st ult, the first competition in the history of the Appin Golf Club was brought to a very successful termination on the Ardtur Links. At the conclusion of the second round it was found that Mr Norman MacLeod of Calcutta had finished in 84, having made the record round of the course – 38 for nine holes.

As Mr Howard of London, who had taken first place in the previous days competition, finished in 82 + 4 – 86, it was agreed to play off the tie in 5 holes. Thus began the most interesting and exciting contest yet witnessed on the course. Spectators speedily gathered to follow the finalists. At the fourth hole both contestants were equal, and hence the interest of the play was greatly heightened when they drove off for the fifth hole, as it was to decide the winner of the medal. The ground approaching this hole was not very favourable for accurate play, and flukes were consequently easy. The hole was played, and went to the honour of Mr MacLeod who was amid enthusiastic applause, declared winner of the Silver medal." (OT 21.8.1897)

   "Wednesday, the 25 inst, being the Fort William spring holiday a team of eight players from the Fort William Club travelled to Appin and played a friendly match with eight players of the Appin Golf Club on the ground of the latter.

  The visitors arrived by the Fuselier on her forenoon run to Oban and joined her again on the return sail from Oban to Fort William.

  The weather looked somewhat threatening in the forenoon, but rain kept off till near the finish of the game.

   The Appin players having the advantage over the visitors of being familiar with the ground, the result was a win for them by 8 holes. The following is the tabulated result :-

 

                        Appin               Holes              Fort William                 Holes

 

D. McIntyre     ………………………   5                   D. MacNiven ……………………0

R. Morrison   …………………………  0                   W. MacNiven  ………………… 0

D.T. Smith   …………………………..   0                   J. MacLean   ……………………2

C. McMillan   ……………………..      3                   C. Livingston   ………………….0

D.D.F. McIntyre  …………………      3                    Hector Fraser   ………………  0

Robert Greive   ……………………..    0                   Alex Clough  …………………… 4

D. McMillan  ………………………,.    0                   J. Sinclair   ……………………… 7

James Rowan  ………………………    8                   Mr Young   ………………………0

 

                                                       21                                                                 13

 

   The monthly competition was played on Saturday, the 23rd, in very wet weather. The best scores were :- Mr Duncan MacGregor, 85 – 2 = 83 ; AND Mr D. MacIntyre, 101 – 6 = 95." (OT 30,4,1898)

      “The holes range from 120 to 300 yards and the course has a great many hazards of every description.  A clubhouse is being built”. (GGA1898). 

   " The golf Club concert, which has now come to be regarded in the district as a sort of hardy annual came off in Strath of Appin School on the evening of Friday, the 15th ult., presided over by Mr. P. MacKay, Glenure, who, in his opening remarks, explained that owing to the death of our universally be-loved and lamented Queen Victoria the meeting had been postponed form 25th January till that evening. 

   In a crowded house, made up from the Strath, Glencreran, Lismore, and Benderloch, a long programme was entered upon, and successfully carried through, consisting of bagpipe selections by Mr A. Campbell; song (English).  Miss Walker, teacher; song (Gaelic), Mr Buchanan, Airds Farm; song (English), Miss MacVean, Oban; pianoforte duet, Misses Black, Portnacroish; song (Gaelic). Mr D. MacMillan, Airds; song, (English), Mr Nisbet, Railway Works; pianoforte selections, Mr A. MacIntyre, Port Appin; song (English), Miss MacIntyre, Ballachulish; duet (vocal). Miss MacLachlan and Mr C. MacMillan; song (comic). Mr a. Rowan, Port Appin; song (English), Miss MacIntyre, Kenlochlaich; song (English), Miss MacGregor,  The Manse.  After a short interval the second part of the programme was rendered by those already named, with the addition of Messrs A. MacLean, Achostragan; P. MacGregor, Glaikeriska; and Cameron, Tynribbie,  The usual votes of thanks, with the singing of “God Save the King.”  Brought a most successful concert to a close.  A dance followed." (OT 2.3.1901)

Major Trophy: McLeod Trophy.

 

Last recorded 1904.

Print Print | Sitemap
forgottengreens.com