Fairfield Golf Club. Founded 1903. An 18-hole course in the grounds of Elderslie estate, laid out by D Adams.
“The new nine hole course of the Fairfield golf club situated at Elderslie Polices, Renfrew, was formally opened on Saturday afternoon.
The Fairfield club was started four and a half years ago, and played over the Corporation course at Bellahouston. With a growing membership, the club found it’s operations interfered with by the large numbers who patronised the Bellahouston course, and felt compelled to look out for links of it’s own. It was for.
The course is somewhat circumscribed, but is of a fairly sporting character. A large crowd of members and their friends turned out at the opening ceremony. Mr A. Mithchell, Captain of the club, presented Mr A.A. Speirs of Elderslie with a cleek, suitably inscribed, and Mr Speirs drove off the first ball and formally declared the course open.
An exhibition four ball match afterwards took place. Messrs D. Bone (Glasgow Club) and J. McAndrew (North Western) opposing Messrs H.F. Macneal (North Western), and D. Adams (Lethamhill). The match was keenly contested throughout. All the players showed good form in their long game, but were frequently at fault on the greens, which are not yet in the best of order. The first two holes were halved. Bone and McAndrew won the third and fourth, and were thus two up. Macneal and Adams reduced their lead to one at the Seventh, and they brought the match level at the ninth. The best ball scores for the nine holes were :- Bone and McAndrew – 5,3,3,3,4,3,4,4,5 – 34. Macneal and Adams – 5,3,4,4,4,3,3,4,4 – 34. The second part of the match also proved close. Bone and McAndrew won the tenth hole in 3 to 5, but Macneal and Adams brought matters level at the fourteenth, which they gained in 3 to 4. Bone and McAndrew, However, again got in front at the fifteenth, and held the lead to the end, winning by a hole. Best ball scores :- Bone and McAndrew – 3,3,4,3,5,3,3,5 – 33- Total 67. Macneal and Adams – 5,3,4,3,4,4,5,3,4 - 35 – Total 69." (GET 2.9.1907)
Glasgow Evening Times December 28th 1908.
"The formal opening of the new clubhouse took place on Saturday after the completion of the monthly medal competition. After tea, a capital programme of songs, recitations, and instumental selections, varied at intervals by impromptu dancing, was gone through. Simultaneously whist drive parties were conducted in the ante rooms. The feature of the entertainment was the solo and dual dancing of Misses May and Eva Malcolm. The “ House Warming” was voted by all the most successful incident in the hitherto successful progress of the club." (GET 28.12.1908)
"The course of the Fairfield club on the Elderslie policies, Renfrew, is receiving special attention this week in view of the Exhibition games arranged for tomorrow.
In addition to George Duncan and Charles H. Mayo, as first arranged, the services of Tom Ball have been secured. This should make a very interesting three ball game, and, as the turf is of the right kind for ideal golf, there will probably be records made which will take a lot of beating." (GET 10.6.1910)
In April 1941 the course and the clubhouse were closed because of enemy action and temporary membership facilities were granted to members by Cathcart Castle GC.
Closed in 1942 when taken over by Clyde Navigation Trust for construction of Deanside Transit Depot.