Prestwick St Nicholas Ladies Municipal Golf Course
Note : This golf course had been in use from 1877 when the Prestwick St Nicholas ( Mens ) golf club played here from 1877 to 1892. In 1893 the Prestwick ladies golf club took this course over when the men left to go to their present location just over the road. The St Nicholas ladies would play here until 1935, when they too, would leave and cross the road to join the men on the main course. The course at this time was called the Prestwick ladies golf course. When the ladies left, the Prestwick Council purchased the land and retained it as a municipal golf course for ladies and juveniles as the following article describes.
Ayr Advertiser April 30th 1936
Ladies Golf Course
Taken Over By Prestwick Council
Prestwick Town Council has taken over the ladies St Nicholas Golf Course.It is understood that the course which is an eighteen holes one, will be utilised for ladies and juveniles.
Ayr Advertiser May 7th 1936
The St Nicholas ( Ladies ) municipal golf course is to be continued as an 18-hole course from and after May15th. The pavilion is to be renovated at a cost not exceeding £25. The charges for the other municipal course ( St Ninians ) have been revised. Season tickets for ladies and gentlemen will cost 20s. and each case the charge for a single round will be 1s.
Ayr Advertiser June 4th 1936
Municipal Course Opening.
To obviate the portion of land up till now tenanted by Prestwick Ladies St Nicholas golf club falling in to the hands of the builders and to preserve the amenities of the town, Prestwick Town Council some time ago spent £12,000 in the purchase of the major portion of the ground and the golf clubhouse. Other ground was obtained on lease, so that the course could be maintained as an eighteen-hole course, and the council decided to open the links to ladies and juveniles. ( Municipal Course. )
The course was formerly occupied by the ladies St Nicholas golf club, which was a branch of the St Nicholas Golf Club. The lady members of the club have now established themselves on the men’s course.
The new municipal undertaking was formally launched on Saturday by Provost Govan, in presence of a large gathering of spectators.
Before calling on Provost Govan, Baillie Ferguson, convenor of the golf course, shores, and public parks committee, said the purchase of the land on which the course was laid was not accomplished without a great deal of serious consideration and protracted negotiation. The council decided to make use of the ground in a manner calculated to help the traditional sport associated with Prestwick and the West of Scotland. While it had been decided that the course should be reserved for ladies and juveniles, gentlemen could play if they were accompanied by a lady.
Declaring the course open, provost Govan said he thought it would be a good idea if the ladies were to form a club. He reminded his audience of the tradition of the Prestwick courses and mentioned that it was on the St Nicholas links that Miss Nan Baird had started her golfing career. A flag was unfurled by Mrs Govan, and Mrs Ferguson presented souvineers to Miss Nan Baird and Mrs George Coats, who played an exhibition game.
The conditions at the course will be somewhat similar to those of former years. In charge will be Mr James Torley, who is superintendent of the St Ninian’s course at Kingscape. Mrs Inglis will retain her position as lady attendant, and Mr William Wright, head greenkeeper, has been appointed for the course. The course is 4659 yards long and the bogey is 70.