Cleats Golf Course. 1914
Evening Times February 6th 1914
‘Thos. Ramsay, greenkeeper, Troon, is engaged laying out a nine hole golf course about a mile and a half from, Lagg Hotel, Arran, for Mr Spiers, of Cleat Farm. The course is expected to be ready about Easter, and the opening ceremony will be performed by the Marquis of Graham.
Mr Ramsay has done a lot of work in connection with Arran courses, his contracts including the laying out of the greens at Lamlash, Glen Sannox, and Blackwaterfoot.” (Glasgow Evening Times, 6.2.1914)
“Another new course has been added to the number on the Isle of Arran. It is situated at The Cleats, in the extreme south west of the island. Natural sand bunkers are a feature of the course, and the turf is very fine.”
(Golf Illustrated, 31.7.1914).
“Only open for a year or so.” (Ardrossan Herald 1998)
Such an isolated and newly opened club would have had little chance of surviving the strictures of WW1.