Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland
 Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland

Half of this lot look like they are out of work. We need a municipal golf course

Kilmarnock 

Kilmarnock Municipal.  Opened 1909. “Kilmarnock’s new Municipal golf course was formally opened on Saturday with an exhibition match between David Kinnell and Mr Robert Andrew, the Prestwick Amateur. The feature of the play was the splendid driving and approaching of both, but the professional was deadlier at the short game, and won by four up. Mr Andrew had the sixth hole in two. Mrs Gemmill, the wife of Provost Gemmill, drove off the first ball with a silver-mounted driver presented to her for that purpose as a memento of the occasion by Treasurer James Smith, on behalf of the town council. A similar presentation was made to Mr Hugh S. Dunn, in appreciation of his services in connection with the acquirement of the ground by the corporation. The total length of the course is 4190 yards, the longest hole being 285 yards and the shortest 158 yards. The membership of the course has already reached 506 - 370 gentlemen, 98 ladies, and 38 juveniles.” (ASH 7.5.1909)  Renamed Caprington GC in 1958

Caprington Castle
Print Print | Sitemap
forgottengreens.com