Opening of a clubhouse at Vaul 1968.
Golf on Tiree
A golf course existed in Vaul as long ago as the 1890s. In 1911 an eighteen-hole course, 6,306 yards long, was laid out with the help of a professional golfer, James Hobbins, who married a Tiree woman. In September a club house was gifted by Mr Charles MacNeil of the Colonial Iron Works in Govan.
Before World War II, Tiree was a very popular golfing resort. There were eighteen-hole courses at Vaul, Scarinish and Heanish and a nine-hole course at Cornaig. All were closed during the war and only the Vaul course was brought back into use in 1962 with nine holes.