There is some confusion concerning the spelling of the name of the golf club in Taynuilt. The name of the first club, formed in 1891, is shown as Bonawe in the Annuals, but newspaper items four or five years later covering its activities have it as Bonaw. The second club, whose course was opened in 1905, named as Bunawe and also, in newspapers, as Bonawe
Bunawe Golf Club. Instituted 1891. A 9 hole course at Bruachroy.
“The new course of the Bonawe Golfing Club was played over for the first time on Saturday. The day was fine, and some enjoyable rounds were played. Amongst those who played were Dr Macnaughton, Bonawe; Messrs Honeyman, Oban club; Campbell, Taynuilt; McDonald, Taynuilt; McColl, captain, Bonawe club &c.
Mr Honeyman, in laying out the ground ,has availed himself cleverly of the natural conformation of the somewhat hummocky and heathery “braies aboon Bonawe” to form a unique course. There are peat bogs to get over, and some clumps of heather where straying balls will be difficult to recover. The scenery is of the grandest description.” (S5.4.1892
“The course is a fairly good one, the hazards being peat bog and heather.” (GA 1892-93).
“A meeting of this Bonawe Golf Club was held on Monday last. Mr A.J.H.Campbell of Dunstaffnage was unanimously elected president; Mr D.Tullies, Rutherglen, vice-president; Mr.A.M.Sinclair, Sringbank, captain; and Mr K.A.Beaton, secretary and treasurer. The club has rented for another year from Mr. Black, farmer, and the Bonawe crofters, the fine course between the rivers Nant and Awe, which has for several years past been so much appreciated by summer visitors.” (OT 23.5.1896)
Last recorded 1902.
Bunawe Golf Club. Instituted 1906. A 9-hole course, laid out by Willie Fernie, on the Lochnell estate, to the north of the Callander and Oban Railway, bounded on the west by the River Nant and on the east by the River Awe. The ground consists of old pasture and is of an undulating and highly diversified nature interspersed with clumps of trees and containing three small ponds or tarns. The soil and the character of the grass are very suitable for golf. Room is available for ultimately expanding the course to the full 18 holes if desirable.. The holes are varied in character, all of them possessing natural features which form capital hazards. The putting greens are admirably situated and are of ample size, while it would be difficult to surpass in beauty the surroundings. (S 26.5.1906)
Length of Course, 2621 yards
Hole No. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Length in yards 212 379 194 228 260 450 258 420 220
Beautiful scenery, bracing air, and very even natural ground. (WWG)
Name changed to Taynuilt Golf Club. First mentioned 1907.
“The Caledonian Railway line to Oban forms the southern boundary of the course, and the first hole is within reach of the sound of the River Nant as it hastens to the sea. Generally, it may be said, the course is over fine old turf, which has not known a plough for generations. Where a mole has sent up a few mounds you can see that thee is peaty soil beneath, but the course is fairly well drained. The long grass at various points in the fairway requires to be kept well down, but if you keep the line you get fine brassy lies throughout. The bunkers are mostly natural ones, such as rabbit burrows and dykes, and they are a change to players who are accustomed only to artificial sand bunkers. At the second hole we pass the ruins of an ironwork which used to be the centre of a busy industry here fifty years ago, when the supply of local timber was more plentiful. The third hole is a blind one and sporting, the drive being from beside the railway over a wooded knoll; the fourth hole, which skirts the other side of it, has a very narrow fairway between two rows of trees. The fifth, or “Loch” hole, gives good sport, there being a whinny mound to the left and a small loch behind the green. Several of the trees are placed on the brows of rising ground, and afford tempting places for long drives. The sixth and eighth holes, which are the longest, measure 350 and 400 yards respectively. The greens are on the small side, but many of them are of exceedingly good turf and are well kept. All that this course needs is to be played on, and as the place comes to be developed we may look to the course becoming more and more a favourite one.” (S 11.8.1914)
Membership 55. Last recorded 1914.
The entire Bonawe estate was offered for sale as a single lot in 1914, including ‘’Taynuilt Golf Course’. In the absence of further references, it can be assumed that the club folded following the sale, or perhaps the onset of WW1 forced its closure.
Taynuilt Golf Club. First mentioned 1934.
“A new nine-hole golf course was opened at Taynuilt yesterday, when a exhibition four-ball match was played between Alex Herd (Moorpark) and C B Macfarlane, the Scottish Internationalist, and R Bannaford, the local professional, and R B Denholm, the Scottish Internationalist, shown right
At the opening a speech was made by Major Bullough, of Inverawe, and the first ball was driven by Sandy Herd. About 300 spectators witnessed a close match which Denholm and Bannaford won by two holes. The best ball score was 70, and Denholm had the best induvidual score of 71.” (S 26.4.1935)
“A 9-hole course was laid out in 1934 by Sandy Herd and the undulating nature of the site with its gravel subsoil greatly impressed him. Length 2,705 yards, Par 70(18). Activities still suspended owing to war-time conditions.” (SGC Mar 1947).
Membership 120. Did not re-open after WW2.
The present club was founded in 1987.