Glasgow Golf Club.
1st course at Glasgow Green. 1787 to ?
2nd course at Queens Park. 1870 to 1874
3rd course at Alexandra Park. ( Still in use ) 1874 to 1895
4th course at Blackhill. 1895 to 1904
Present site at Killermont since 1904
Also have course at Gailes, Ayrshire.
The following information is not intended as a comprehensive history of the Glasgow Golf Club, but merely an insight into the club's former golf courses prior to their present site at Killermont.
Glasgow Green Golf
Scotsman December 14th, 1922
Golf 100 year ago
35 Bruntsfield Gardens, Edinburgh, December 5th, 1922
Sir, - as a regular reader of “ Golfing Topics,” I think you may find the following quotation of some interest. It is from volume 111, of “ Peter’s letters to his kinsfolk,” by Lockhart, the son-in-law, and biographer of Sir Walter Scott. The letters are intended to describe the social life in Scotland in Lockhart’s own day. My edition, the second, is dated 1819. The extract I send you speaks for itself – I am, &c
George S. Dickson.
Golf On Glasgow Green
“In the neighbourhood of the monument “ Nelson’s,” we saw several elderly citizens playing at the old scots game of golf, which is a kind of a giant variety of billiards – the table being a certain space on the green, sometimes of many hundreds of yards in extent – the holes situated here and there, at great distances – and the balls, which are made very hard, stuffed with feathers, being swung to and fro in a terrific manner, by means of long queues with elastic shafts – a fine healthful game, which seams to be a mighty favourite both here and at Edinburgh.”
Glasgow Evening Citizen January 29th 1870
Golf Club For Glasgow
Glasgow Evening Citizen January 31st, 1870
The Golf Club
We are glad to learn that the old national game of golf is about to be revived in this neighbourhood. Forty years ago it was a favourite amusement of the citizens, but since that time it has fallen into disuse, as far as our own city is concerned. Why golf should have come to be so neglected it is difficult to say. It does not, like cricket, tax the bodily powers so as to preclude people of average physical development from joining in its practice : and at the same time the exercise afforded by it is healthful and exhilarating. The requisites for the game are a large common or “ links” ( divided into different sections along its circumference, each of these being indicated by a small hole ) : a weighty ball about two inches in diameter ; and an elegant flexible club. The game consists in holing the ball with the smallest number of shots, and the work of the player is made up of pedestrianism round the margin of the “ links,” two or three vigorous blows with the club, and occasionally some delicate manipulations. If at first sight golf may appear to the players of more ardent sports to be too tame for general acceptance, proof to the contrary is found in its antiquity, as also the number, distinction, and enthusiasm of its votaries in former days.
It can be traced as far back in Scottish history as 1457 ; it was long a favourite game of the nobility and gentry of the country ; and it is still practiced vigorously at Edinburgh, St Andrews, Perth, and at Prestwick near Ayr. For a considerable time back a movement has been on foot in Glasgow to revive the game ; it was only yesterday, however, that a club for that purpose was formed.
Mr Gordon Smith, writer, has been appointed secretary, and the club membership includes a number of our leading citizens. The “ Links,” for the club, we believe, will be in the neighbourhood of the South Side Park.
In reference to the paragraph in our impression of Saturday anent the establishment of a Golf Club for Glasgow, a correspondent writes :- “ I would like to know whether the ‘links’ in connection with the new Golf Club are to be free. Although residing in the extreme North of the city, I would gladly walk to the extreme South to have stroke at the grand old game, unless I am debarred the privilege, by reason of the exclusiveness of the club. If, however, the links are to be open to all ( and I hope so ) clubs can be formed connected with different professions or classes, as in all the other golfing places.
Glasgow Evening Citizen February 18th,1870
The Golf Club
Upwards of 70 gentlemen, it would appear, have now joined the golf club. The ground ( in the South Side Park ) has been laid out under the direction of a “ professional” who has been engaged by the club, and the formal commencement of play is arranged to take place, we understand, on Saturday 26th inst. At noon. It is expected that there will be a large turn-out on the occasion, including “ professionals” from various parts of the country.
Glasgow Evening Citizen February 25th, 1870
Glasgow Golf Club
In consequence of the “ Links,” being covered in snow, the formal opening of this club, we understand, has been postponed till Saturday week. The opening is arranged to take place on that day at 12 o’clock.
Glasgow Evening Citizen March 5th,1870
Glasgow Golf Club
To-day this newly constituted club played for the first time, “ the grand old game” of golf, upon their links in the South-Side Park. Fine weather, which is indispensable to the thorough enjoyment of the game, fortunately attended the proceedings, and the opening in every respect was successful. A large number of ladies and gentlemen were present, as well as several “ professionals” from a distance.
Glasgow Evening Citizen March 7th, 1870
At the formal opening of the Glasgow golf club, which, as intimated in our last impression, took place on Saturday, a foursome match was played between the Lord Provost and Tom Morris against Mr Gordon Smith and Mr James Hunter. The former couple won the first round by two holes, and the latter the second round by the same number. In a short match home the Lord Provost and Tom won by two holes – the last hole being won by dint of a very fine cleek-shot by his Lordship. Bailie Wilson and Bailie Salmon against Mr James Knight and Mr Salmon, junior, followed, the latter couple winning by four holes. Mr Knight and Mr Walker took a round by three holes from Mr Lucas and Mr Crombie. In a second round the match was halved. In a single Mr Hart beat Mr Prentice by four holes. Mr R.C. Todd beat Mr A. Sloan by two holes, Mr Gordon Smith beat Mr Hart one round by three holes. Mr Hart, however, turned the tables on him, winning the second round by the same number. In a short match home, Mr Hart won by a hole, there just having been one stroke of difference in the three matches. Tom Morris and Mr G.E.Ewing played Mr Thos. Lamb and Mr Samuel Carrick. The first round was won by the latter pair by one hole ; the second was halved.
Glasgow Herald March, 1870
Golf – Glasgow Club
The Glasgow Golf Club, which has been dormant for nearly forty years, was on Saturday revived under the very happiest auspices. The club is now reconstituted, and comprises amongst its members the Lord Provost of Glasgow, Bailie Salmon, Bailie Osborne, Ex – Bailie Wilson, Charles Tenant esq, of the Glen, and many other gentlemen of note. The formal re- opening taking place last Saturday, on the South Side Park recreation grounds.
Glasgow Evening Citizen June 4th, 1870
Glasgow Golf Club
We understand that this club have arranged to play a match with the Thistle golf club of Leith, on Thursday first, commencing at half past twelve o’clock in the South Side Park. As the gentlemen of Leith club are known as first rate players, some fine sport may be expected. There are to be six players, we believe, from each club.
Glasgow Herald June 10th, 1870
Leith V Glasgow
Yesterday afternoon, a match at golf came off between seven gentlemen of the Glasgow Golf Club and an equal number of the Leith Golf Club, on the recreation grounds of the South Side Park. The conditions were – two rounds of the green, of nine holes each. The weather and the ground were greatly against good play. At the conclusion of the match, it was found that the Leith golfers were the winners by a large number of holes, but this partly arose owing to the unavoidable absence of several of the crack players of the local club. Th return of the matches are as follows :- Messrs Robert Chambers and Manzies of Leith defeated Dr Pollock and Mr Knight of Glasgow by one hole in the first round, and two holes in the second round. Messrs Wood and Williamson of Leith defeated Messrs Watson and Lamb of Glasgow by six holes in the first round, and by an equal number in the second round. Messrs Smith and Macbrair of Leith defeated Mr Wm. Wilson and Mr Gordon Smith of Glasgow by two holes in the first round and five holes in the second round. Mr Dawson of Leith defeated Mr Cudburgh of Glasgow by four holes in the first round and by the same number in the second round. Majority in favour of the leith club, thirty holes.
In the evening the Glasgow club entertained the Leith players and their friends to dinner in the Clarence Hotel. The Lord Provost ( Captain of the club ) occupied the chair, while Mr William Wilson discharged the duties of croupier. The gentlemen present were, Bailie Salmon, Rev. Dr Pollock, Messrs J.R. Lamb, Charles Prentice, D.I. MacBrair, Andrew Walker, and about twenty others.
Mr Chambers,in proposing the health of the Lord Provost, as Captain of the Glasgow Golf Club, referred to the great advantage which this club must enjoy from having at its head one who occupied so influential a position, and who, on the occasion of a friendly contest, displayed such a genial spirit. The proceedings were of a thoroughly enjoyable character. A return match between the clubs will, in all probability, be played sometime during autumn.
North British Daily Mail June 30th 1871
Golf – South Side Park
To the editor of the North British Daily Mail
Sir, - As your correspondent, “ cricketer,” wishes information about golf playing in the park set aside for games ( not for cricket exclusively ) I beg to state that the Glasgow Golf Club is under the Presidency of the Lord Provost, and numbers a good many of the citizens of Glasgow. The ground played over by the golfers is on the skirts of the park, while the whole centre of the park is taken up by cricketers. But it is quite clear “ cricketer” knows nothing of the ancient and royal game of golf if he imagines it can be played in long grass. Donkeys may be fond of long grass, but certainly not golfers. The English game of cricket was scarcely known in my young days, but now whole columns of the newspaper are devoted to accounts of cricket matches, while the quiet and modest game of golf is scarcely noticed.
Surely there is room for us all, unless your correspondent wants the whole park to himself and his game, long grass and all – I am, &c.
June 29th An old golfer.
To the editor of the North British Daily Mail
Sir, - The matter which “ cricketer” calls attention to is important. The privilege of a public park for the recreation of those who cannot afford a private one is great, and is appreciated by the increasing hundreds of the youth of our city, who are wont to avail themselves of it. As regards the South Side, however, the privilege bids fair to become a farce, from the encroachments of a class of gentry for whom it was not intended. The cows and the bowlers are established grievances that are being more and more felt as the park gets more and more crowded, and now the golf gentlemen, with the chief magistrate at their head, seek to enjoy themselves at our expense, and are throwing their coils around us with what ulterior object is known only to themselves. It is becoming a difficult matter for a few lads to get space enough to have a game of cricket with enjoyment, cleanliness, and safety. One by one our clubs betake themselves to private ground ; can these great associations of gentlemen ( to say no more of the ladies of the bovine species ) not manage to recreate themselves without curtailing the privileges of a City Arab.
Glasgow, June 29
Glasgow Evening Post December 8th, 1870
The Glasgow golf club have resumed their winter play on the South Side Park. The green is in fair condition, and, with a little attention, the putting holes could be much improved.
Glasgow Herald November 21st, 1871
Glasgow Golf Club
By appointment, the members of this club met in the Queens Park for a few friendly matches on Saturday. The dense fog that hung over the city prevented a full muster, as was expected, but the members who ventured through the mist had clear bright sunshine at the park, and a day’s enjoyment seldom equalled.
The putting ground is gradually improving, and when turf is laid down round the holes, which will be done early in the year, golfers may enjoy their health inspiring game to their hearts content. At one o’clock the following matches started :- A foursome three rounds of the green by Mr Wilson and Mr G. McArthur against Mr Playfair and Dr Robertson, in which the former were victorious by 4 holes. A single was engaged in between Mr Coudbrough and Mr Connachie, which resulted in the former placing two holes to his credit in a match of 9.
A fine foursome of two rounds was then played by Mr Watson and Mr Coudbrough against Mr Hunter and Mr Connachie, in which the latter couple were victorious in the first round by 2 holes, but the second was so keenly contested that it resulted in a tie. A single was also played between Mr Wood and Mr Lamb, in which the former was the victor.
Glasgow Herald March 30th,1872
Glasgow Golf Club
The annual meeting of the Glasgow Golf Club was held yesterday in the Bowling – house of the Queens Park bowling club, Mr Wm. Wilson occupied the chair. The chairman said it was gratifying to find that the accommodation afforded to the members in the Queen’s Park Bowling House was such as to have in every way proved satisfactory, There had been a good deal of play last year, and the ground was consequently getting into much better condition. The membership was increasing. He then, as treasurer, read the statement of the finances from which it appeared that the expenditure during the year had been fully met by the revenue amounting to £43.11s 5d of subscriptions. On the motion of the chairman, Bailie Salmon was elected Captain for the ensuing year, Mr Wm. Wilson, Treasurer, and Mr Gordon Smith, Secretary. On account of the unpropitious state of the weather, the competition for the Captain’s medal and Mr Wilson’s challenge medal was delayed till the 9th of April.
Glasgow Herald April 10th 1872
Glasgow Golf Club
The members of the Glasgow golf club met yesterday in the South Side Park, to compete for the Captain’s medal and the Wilson Challenge Handicap Medal. There was an excellent attendance of the members, larger than on any previous occasion in the history of the club. Ten couples started in the competition, which, after a keen contest, ended in Mr J.R. Lang winning the Captain’s medal with a score of 50 for the first round, and 45 in the second, making a total of 95 strokes. In the handicap medal the Rev. James Rennie and Mr William Connachie tied at a score of 86 – Mr Rennie receiving 10 of odds and Mr Connachie 20.
In playing off the tie, which was limited to one round, Mr Rennie holed it in 50 strokes, and Mr Connachie in 57. Making allowance for the odds, Mr Rennie thus won the medal by two strokes.
The scores were as follows :-
Rev. Mr Rennie …….. …………. ……………. ………… odds 10 86
Wm. Connachie ……….. ……………. ………. ……… .. 20 86
Dr Robertson ………………. ………………. ………….. .. 20 87
W. Lees ……………… ……………. ………………………. .. 14 89
H.M. Playfair ………………… …………….. ………….. .. 14 91
Thomas Lamb ………………… …………… …………. .. .. 10 92
W.R. Coudbrough ……………….. ……….. ……….. …… .. 10 93
Rev. D. Ferguson ………………… ………. …………….. .. 12 93
Rev. D. Barrie …………….. …………… ………… ….. .. 20 93
Rev. A. Guthrie ………… ………….. …………… …….. .. 10 94
Rev. J.E. Cumming …………….. …………….. ……….. … .. 14 94
Rev. J. Wallace ……………. ……………. ………… ……. .. 20 94
Gordon Smith ……….. ……………… …………….. ………… .. 10 95
Jas. Knight ………………….. …………… …… …..Without Odds 96
Rev. And. Gray ………………. ………… …….. .. .. 96
After the competition several interesting matches were played – amongst others, the following :- Dr Robertson and Mr Coudbrough played against Rev. D. Ferguson and Mr Lees a match of two rounds, which ended in a tie. Rev. A. Guthrie and Rev. J. Wallace played against the Rev. D. Barrie and Mr Murray. This was a match of 16 holes, which ended in favour of Messrs Guthrie and Wallace by six holes. Mr Thomas Lamb and Mr Gordon Smith played a single of two rounds. The first round ended in favour of Mr Smith with one hole ; the second in favour of Mr Lamb, also by one hole, leaving the opponents square in the two rounds. Another single was played between the Rev. Quinten Johnstone and Rev. John Smith. The round resulted in a tie, after which two holes were played to decide the match, but this also was halved. Among the gentlemen who took part in the match was Baillie Salmon, to whom belongs much of the credit for the present prosperous condition of the club. It was a source of general regret that the indefatigable treasurer, to whom the club mainly owes its existence ( Ex - Ballie W.Wilson ) was unavoidably absent. The ground was enlivened by the presence of a number of ladies, and a number of gentlemen interested in the success of the club were also present.
Scotsman April 14th,1873
Lanark V Glasgow
On Friday a competition took place in the Alexandra Park between the Lanark and the Glasgow Golf Club’s. The weather was everything that could be desired, and the green was much better than the members had anticipated. Special attention has been paid to the putting greens, which were really in very fair condition. Both sides had to regret the absence of some of their best players ; but as it was, the scoring was good. The play between Mr Annan and Mr McArthur, and also that between the Rev. Mr Ritchie and Mr John Vassie was remarkably good. The contest was very close between these players, and as will be seen from the subjoined scores, the match between Mr McArthur and Mr Annan was halved, while Mr Vassie ended one hole ahead of his opponent. On the whole, the Glasgow Club were successful by 25 holes. The following is the result :-
John Vassie ……………………….. 1 Rev. John Ritchie ………………….. 0
William Annan ………………….. 0 George McArthur ………………….. 0
Robert Lithgow ………………….. 0 Thomas Lamb …………………….. 10
John Vassie Jnr ………………….. 0 William Lees ………………………. 6
Richard Vassie …………………….. 0 Gordon Smith ……………………… 2
John Haddow ……………………. 0 H.R. Coudbrough ………………….. 1
James Forrest ……………………… 0 D. Ferguson ………………………. 3
James Arthur Vassie ……………… 0 Dr Robertson ………………………. 2
Alexander Paterson ……………….. 0 Rev. Dr Cumming ………………… 3
Robert Frame ……………………. 2 William Connochie …………………. 0
Simon L. Kello ……………………. 0 Archibald Sommerville ………………1
Glasgow Herald January 10th 1874
Glasgow Golf Club
By appointment the Glasgow Golf Club recently met the Greenock club at a friendly match on their ground on the Inverkip Road. The day was on the whole fair, but from the changeable state of the weather was not all that could be desired. Seven couples started for two rounds of seven holes each. Mr Gray, Mr Ritchie, Mr Frame, Dr Robertson, Mr Thomas Lamb, the veteran Captain ( Ballie Salmon ) and the treasurer, Mr Wilson, represented the Glasgow contingent ; and for Greenock club there appeared – Mr Tulloch, Mr Grieve, Mr Spiers, Mr Muir, Mr Frank Tulloch, Mr Greer, and last, but not least, the Captain, Mr Ireland. The result of the day’s match was in favour of the Glasgow club by 28 holes. The hazards were many and difficult, and it required careful judgment whether to land on the near side of them or attempt the far side, with the probability of landing in the middle. Some capital foursomes were got up after the match, and keenly contested. A return match is contemplated at an early day in the Alexandra Park, and the tables may be turned. The Greenock club contains some of the best players in the West of Scotland, their Captain holding at present the handicap medal of the Glasgow Club. The Greenock club handsomely treated their Glasgow friends to a hot lunch to fortify them for the return journey. The Glasgow Golf Club have arranged a series of friendly games among their own members for practice, one of which comes off on Monday on the South Side Park at one o’clock.
Glasgow Herald April 1st, 1874
Glasgow Golf Club
This club inaugurated the season on Monday when the annual competition for the Wilson handicap challenge medal and other prizes took place on the Queens Park. There were seventeen competitors. The Arthur medal, for which all started at “ scratch” fell to Mr Thos. Lamb with 78 points. Dr Robertson and Mr Gordon Smith, who were allowed 10 and 8 points respectively. Tied for the Wilson Medal, which ultimately fell to the former, who scored 44 points, Mr Smith’s total being 48. Mr Connachie gained two clubs with a score of 83, getting an allowance of 18 points. Dr Cumming received a club and three balls, and Mr McArthur a club. At the annual meeting, Councillor Salmon was re-elected Captain, Mr W. Wilson, Treasurer, and Mr Gordon Smith, secretary.
Glasgow Herald April 7th, 1874
Annual Competition Of The Glasgow Golf Club
And Preparing For Alexandra Park.
The annual meeting of the Glasgow golf club, the only golfing club pertaining to the city, was held on Monday afternoon on the Queen’s Park. Previous to the competition commencing, a business meeting was held in the Queen’s Park Bowling club house.
Mr W. Wilson, treasurer, in the absence of the Captain, presiding. On the motion of Mr Frame, Ballie Salmon was unanimously re- elected Captain, Mr Wilson, Treasurer, and Mr Gordon Smith, Secretary. A committee was appointed, and a few gentlemen admitted members. The committee’s report for the past year was then read. The report stated that an increasing interest was being taken in the national game by the artisan’s of Glasgow.
The club had many difficulties to contend with, the chief one being the want of ground suitable for the peculiarities of the game. To a considerable extent these difficulties had been removed, and in the course of time, as the greens got older, it is expected they will be found well adapted for the purpose of golf.
With a little care and attention to the putting green, it is believed that the Alexandra Park is capable of affording an enjoyable game. Arrangements have been made for this season with a properly qualified professional, who will be able to attend to the comfort and convenience of the members, and assist in improving the putting greens and driving course. In the four friendly contests with other clubs in which the members of the club have engaged during the past season, the Glasgow club have been on every occasion successful.
Arrangements have been made with the park’s committee of the town council for leasing, at a moderate rate, one of the apartments in the workshop and officers buildings in the Alexandra Park. This will serve as a workshop for the club and Ball maker, and accommodation will also be provided for the members club. The committee are gratified to state that the membership of the club is gradually increasing, there being 54 at present on the roll. During the past year the annual subscription has been reduced to 10s 6d, the result of which has been a large accession of new members.
Business over the members proceeded to the green to compete for the Arthur Medal, the Wilson Handicap Challenge Medal, as well as a number of club and ball prizes. The game consisted of two rounds of the green, the medals and other prizes being played for together. The Arthur medal was competed for at scratch, and for the Wilson medal and other prizes the players were handicapped. Only 17 members entered the lists, the weather being very unpropitious. Indeed, golf could scarcely have been played under more disadvantageous circumstances, so far as the elements at least were concerned. A strong southerly gale, accompanied with drenching showers of rain, swept across the course, although every now and again the sky cleared, and the sun shone out brilliantly. The wind, however, never in the slightest degree abated while the competition was in progress, and low scoring was next to impossible. Notwithstanding the character of the weather the individual play was remarkably good, Mr Thomas Lamb’s actual score of 78 for the two rounds being a capital score even in fine weather. The ground was in better condition than might have been expected after so much rain, and, with the exception of a small portion in the centre, was comparatively dry, the players being able to obtain a good, and withal, firm footing.
At the conclusion of the match it was found that Mr Thomas Lamb was the winner of the Arthur Medal, with an actual score of 78. Dr Robertson and Mr Gordon Smith “ tied” for the Wilson Handicap Medal at 81, with allowances of 18 and 8 strokes respectively. Another round was played for a decision, when Dr Robertson came in the winner at 44 strokes, Mr Smith taking 48. This is the second time in succession that Dr Robertson has won this medal. Mr Smith got the third place, and was awarded a club and an iron. The next prize ( two clubs ) fell to Mr Connachie with a score of 83, after deducting 18 strokes. Dr Cumming followed with 85, after an allowance of 10, and received a club and three balls. Mr G. McArthur, who started at scratch, came in the winner of the last prize ( a club ) at 86.
Bells Sporting Life March 20th, 1875
Glasgow Golf Club Annual Meeting and
The membership of this young and flourishing club assembled for the first time on the Alexandra Park, Glasgow, to compete for the Arthur medal and the Wilson handicap challenge medal, and a number of other prizes, consisting of clubs and balls. Previous to the competition the annual meeting was held in the club room, Councillor W. Wilson, one of the most enthusiastic golfers in the district, presiding. In the annual report which was read the committee expressed gratification at being to state that the game had much increased in popularity during the year, and that during the past 18 months the number of members had been more than doubled, and at present the club consisted upwards of 120 members. Until recently the playing had been conducted at the Queen’s Park, where they had the use of the “ bowl house” but owing to the number of other pastimes practiced there – such as football, cricket &c – and the frequently crowded state of the Park, it had been felt that golf could not be prosecuted with any degree of comfort. Play there had consequently been given up, and the members had betaken themselves to the Alexandra Park, where the club professional is located through whose assistance the park had been greatly improved for the purposes of the game. The report further stated that partial success had attended the matches engaged in against sister clubs, and now that they had got better organised, the committee looked forward to future contests with increasing confidence.
The statement of the accounts for the year ended 12th March was submitted, and showed a balance due to treasurer of £66 3s 6d. The assets of the club at Alexandra Park the treasurer values at £40. The reports were unanimously adopted, and thereafter office bearers were chosen for the ensuing year :- Councillor Wilson was elected Captain in room of Councillor Salmon ; Mr T. Lamb, Treasurer, in room of Councillor Wilson ; and Mr N.W. Wilson was appointed to act as joint secretary along with Mr Gordon Smith, who for a number of years has ably discharged the duties of secretary. The managing and match committee were then arranged, and vacancies filled up.
Business over, the members adjourned to the green to engage in the competition for the prizes already mentioned. Twenty four competitors came forward including a number of the “ cracks” of the club, who would do credit to many older golfing societies in the kingdom.
The course was found in fine condition and the results attained attested the wisdom of the change made in the headquarters of the club from the Queen’s Park to the Alexandra Park. The position of the park which has been appropriated is a beautiful stretch of undulating ground skirting the banks of the Monkland Canal.
To a professional golfer, the absence of “ bunkers” or hazards, is a great disadvantage, but on the whole the course is pretty well adapted for the purposes of the game. The greatest judgment has been displayed in the laying out of the green and the fixing of the holes, and the natural peculiarities of the ground have so far overcome as to admit of the game being played with much satisfaction and pleasure to those participating in it.
At one o’clock the competitors started in the following order :- Mr Bennie and Mr A. Robertson, Rev. D. Cumming and Rev. Mr Rennie, Mr McGregor Robertson and Mr W. Connachie, Mr Hugh Fulton and Mr R.H. Coudbrough, Rev. Andrew Gray and Mr D.M. Ritchie, Dr Robertson and Mr Williamson, Mr Kenneth Wilson and Mr G. Gray, Mr David Fulton and Mr J.P. Kidd, Councillor William Wilson and Mr Osbourne, Mr Craigie and Mr Dolman, Mr G.M. Wilson and Mr A.W. Smith, Mr Robert Watt and Mr John Brownlee. The weather was all that could be desired. Two rounds of the green, or 20 holes, were played, at the conclusion of which, on comparing cards, it was found that Mr A.W. Smith had carried off the Arthur medal with a score of 83 – 43 the first round and 40 the second. His play throughout was remarkably steady, and his driving on several occasions particularly fine. Following close upon him came Mr Kenneth Wilson, son of councillor Wilson, and a young lad apparently not over 14 years of age, who did the two rounds in 84 – 43 and 41. For such a youth this was exceptionally good play, and we state that he did one of the holes in two strokes, it will be seen that he is one of the most promising golfers in the club. He drives a long pretty ball, and his play is sure and steady. With a handicap of 12, reducing his score to 72, he easily carried off the medal presented to the club by his respected father. The other prizes, five in number, were gained by the following :- 1st Hugh Fulton 77 ( with 20 odds ) 2nd Mr Doleman 83 ( scratch ) 3rd and 4th Dr Robertson 84 ( with 10 odds ) and Mr Coudbrough 84 ( with 8 odds ) a tie. One round of the green was played for decision, Dr Robertson beating Mr Coudbrough by one stroke, the former taking 48 and the latter 49. The fifth prize fell to Mr Graigie with a score of 85 ( with 16 odds ) Baillie Osborne and the Rev. Mr Rennie came next with scores of 87 ( with 35 odds ) and 86 ( with 6 odds ) respectively.
The play, on the whole, was very good, and the “ outing” was of the most enjoyable and exhilarating description. After the competition a number of friendly foursomes were engaged in. At 6 o’clock between 20 and 30 members dined together in Wilson’s Royal Restaurant, West Nile Street. Baillie Salmon ex- captain of the club presided, and Councillor Wilson, the newly appointed Captain, discharged the duties of croupier. The toast of “ The Glasgow Golf Club” was given from the chair, responded to by the croupier, and enthusiastically pledged. Other toasts followed, and the evening was further enlivened with song.
Scotsman December 8th, 1884
Glasgow Golf Club
The monthly competition for the Wilson handicap medal took place in the Alexandra Park on Saturday. Thirteen couples entered the lists. Mr John Hood won the medal in 104, 18 odds – 86 ; Mr William Milne, 96, 8 odds – 88 ; and Dr Colville, Captain, 101, 11 odds – 90, being second and third respectively.
Glasgow golf club at Alexandra Park from golfing annual 1889
Glasgow Golf Club, Reconstituted 1870.
Entrance Fee, 1L. Is. ; Annual Subscription, Ten Shillings and Sixpence; Number of Members, 350. Captain Robert Dundas, C.E. Secretary Wm. Milne, 362, St. George's-road, Glasgow.
Golf Prizes. Club, Wilson, and Scott Monthly Medals (all handicap), competed for monthly by the first, second, and third classes of players respectively ; Club Medal (scratch), Robertson Putter (scratch), and Wilson Medal (handicap). Garroway Cup (handicap), competed for in March ; Stewart Cup (handicap), competed for in April ; Tennant Cup, open to all Amateurs (scratch), competed for in May; Rae-Arthur Medal (scratch), Salmon Medal (handicap), and Captain's Prize (handicap), competed for in October. At the Spring and Autumn Meetings there are, in addition to the above, prizes of clubs.
Prize Winners in 1888. Club and Wilson Monthly Medals : A. H. Doleman, with 77J, average of four best scores. Scott Medal : G. Newton. Tennant Cup : David Bone. Stewart Cup : David Sinclair. Club, Wilson, and Rae-Arthur Medals : A. H. Doleman. Salmon Medal : Geo. K. Thompson. Captain's Prize : David Bone.
The Lowest Scratch Score in a club competition is 74, made by David Bone in September, 1888, and by A. H. Doleman in March, 1888.
The Glasgow Golf Club was re -constituted in 1870. When the original club was founded is not known, but the members latterly played on Glasgow Green. The minutes down to 1832, and silver club with some twenty-four silver balls attached, bearing the names of the captains from 1787 to 1828, which had been searched for in vain, were last year seen in the Bishop's Palace, Glasgow Exhibition, where they had been sent on loan, by Mr. Mclnroy of Lude. The club approached Mr. Mclnroy as to the minutes and silver club, but without success. The club, as at present constituted, began in 1870 to play on the South Side Park, but soon had to leave it for much opener quarters at the Alexandra Park in the East End, where it still is located. The park was extremely unlike what a typical green should be. It had a cold clayey soil, long coarse grass in summer, no sand hazards, but in their place iron railings to be crossed. These were equally trying to the golfer's temper, as a very awkward " lie" is sometimes got when the ball is caught at the foot of these. Some of these railings are used as boundaries, and at places the play requires to be very straight to avoid the penalties.
With much labour spent in cutting, rolling, and filling up holes, the turf may at last be said to be under control, and bad lies are now as rare as they formerly were frequent. The putting greens have improved even more than the course, and many of them would do credit to some of our more famous seaside resorts. Altogether a very enjoyable game can be had on the green, as witnessed by the Club Directory, and the large number of golfers of all degrees who are beginning to frequent it. The course three years ago was a nice one of nine holes, but the
large accession of playing members compelled an extension, first to fifteen, and now to eighteen holes. From 60 to 100 players turned out at the monthly and other competitions, and last October meeting 133 competed, the largest on record at any golf competition.
Andrew Forgan is the club maker, Jamie Gow the professional, and Ned Cassidy the green-keeper.
Glasgow Herald December 28th, 1894
Beginning the move to Blackhill
The annual meeting of The Glasgow Golf Club was held last night. The sub-committee appointed to look for a suitable golf course reported in favour of the acquirement of the lands of Blackhill and Smithycroft, the property of the Corporation of Glasgow, which are situated to the North-East of Alexandra Park. After some discussion, it was agreed to remit the whole matter to the general committee, with full powers to conclude forthwith the arrangements for securing the ground, or to call another general meeting of the club before doing so.
Scotsman April 5th, 1895
Glasgow Golf Club New City Course.
The new golf course of the Glasgow Golf Club on the lands of Blackhill and Smithycroft , owned by the corporation, and adjoining the present public golf course on the Alexandra Park, was yesterday inspected by the committee of the club, and it is expected it will be ready for play at once. For the next year or two the lands will be leased from the present tenants, but on the expiry of their lease the golf club will rent it direct from the corporation. The course is likely in time to make a very good golfing ground, and by securing it the club will have a private course close to the city, and a private seaside link at Gailes.
Glasgow Herald April 6th, 1895
Article with Layout Sketch
After an occupancy of about twenty years, the Glasgow Golf Club are about to quit Alexandra Park. Their new course at Blackhill will be opened today. At this very important stage in the history of the club a retrospective glance may not be uninteresting.
The date of the foundation of the original club is lost in obscurity. It is known that they latterly played on Glasgow Green, and the club’s antiquity is guaranteed by the survival of minutes down to 1832, and a silver club with twenty-four silver balls attached bearing the names of the Captains from 1787 to 1828. They are in the possession of Mr McInroy of Lude, and were exhibited in the Bishop’s Palace at the Glasgow Exhibition in 1888. The club was reconstituted in 1870, and the South-side Park was the scene of their sport. The club was not allowed to occupy that ground long, and found more open quarters at Alexandra Park, where they have remained until the present time. At first the course consisted of nine holes, but the large accession of playing members forced an extension to 15, then to the regulation 18 holes.
Alexandra Park at the outset was as unsuitable for a golf course as any place could be. A cold, clayey soil, and long grass in summer, with no hazards except iron pailings, were not very inspiring elements out of which to carve a course. The Glasgow Golf Club, however, spent a large sum of money putting it into shape. Turf was brought at great expense from Ayrshire to clothe the greens, and despite unfavourable circumstances the park has been kept in good condition to this day. One thing which mitigated it against it as a suitable golfing ground within recent years was the increasing number of people who took advantage of the liberality of the Glasgow club in equipping the course.
The green, the property of the corporation, was, of course, open to all comers. As a consequence it greatly overplayed. The once well-clothed turf became a honeycomb of cups left by negligent golfers with a turn for agriculture. The putting greens, too, during the greater part of the year were absolutely devoid of grass, and what was otherwise the finest part of the game degenerated into the purest luck.
On Saturday’s the course became so congested that starters had intolerable waits at the first tee. These circumstances led the Glasgow club to look out for a better investment for the money they had been laying out year after year to keep the course in order. In 1892 a relief course was opened at Gailes, and has proved attractive on Saturdays. The taste for golf, was, however, going on apace, and the Glasgow club were compelled to seek out quarters where they might carry on their pastime in greater quietness. The change to Blackhill will be for the better. For one thing Blackhill is much better suited to the game. It is the very antithesis of Alexandra Park. Instead of the drive-and-iron-shot class of holes, there are several fairly long holes, and in the present unavoidable “ deadness” of the turf, brassy play will be as frequent as it was in-frequent at the park. The class of players who drive from the tee with a putter will have no chance, and the fact that between every tee and green intervenes a hazard is sufficient guarantee of genuine iron play. Five holes of 300 yards and upwards have been laid off ; nine holes of between 250 and 300 yards, and no hole is less than 200 yards. Considerable difficulty was experienced in laying off the course as given in the plan above.
Nature, however, has been very kind to the new links. Plenty of green sward was found suitable for putting greens, and although these will not for a considerable time have the velvety appearance of sea-coast links, careful trimming will bring them up to the average inland course. They have been made of a convenient size – each 25 yards square, and the natural lie of the ground has been undisturbed. Indeed, the day of the flat billiard – table greens seems to have passed away. The course has been laid out by the members of the links committee – Captain Motion, Mr J.T. Irving, Mr T.S. Paterson, Mr A.A. Guthrie, Mr J. Mack and Dr Dougan ; and the members will have an opportunity to-day of seeing how well their work has been done. Mr Paterson, the greenkeeper at Alexandra Park, has superintended the practical work of laying off the green, cutting the grass, and rolling the course. A deal of work yet requires to be accomplished, and the arrangements of the holes is by no means final. Playing will show weaknesses, if any, and as there is plenty of room, there is nothing to hinder a first-class course being laid down suitable to all. To-day the opening ceremony will take place at three o’clock Captain J.R. Motion will strike off the first ball, and he will then engage in a match with Mr William Doleman, after which members will at liberty to play.
The first tee is situated at the canal, just above the locks. It is ten minutes walk from the present club-house, access being had through a gate at the “ locks” hole, across the existing bridge over the canal, and along a specially prepared private pathway. The first hole does not present any special difficulties. A long carry will negotiate a fence, and an iron approach will reach the green. Out-of-line difficulties will be met with in long grass. Four will be par play. The second hole is a little longer, but the character of the ground is similar to the previous hole. A five at the third hole will be good play. Two long drives will reach a stone wall, and a well directed half-iron shot over the hazard will reach the green. With a following wind the wall may be negotiated in two by a powerful player.
One of the longest holes on the green is the fourth hole. It is 325 yards in length. An ominous wall will at once punish a foozled tee shot, but with the ball well away and a clean lie a brassy shot and an iron approach should take the ball home. Five is “ par” play. The feature of the fifth hole is in the approach game. A wall has to be lofted after two long carries. The sixth and seventh holes are mainly zig-zag repetitions of the two previous holes, only a pulled ball at the seventh will be penalised at the distillery grounds. New ground is broken at the eighth hole. The green is at the coal pit, and is immediately guarded by a wall. The player is taken homewards again to the ninth hole, principally to allow of a short round being taken if desirable. The tenth hole, however, takes him further afield. A five, including a long drive and a raking brassy shot over a wall brings the green in view. The eleventh hole reaches the outward bounds of the course. The dyke is again in evidence, and a pulled ball will be suitably punished in the road. Twelve and thirteen are at present shorter holes than shown in the plan, but when the cabbage field is done away with will be laid out as drawn. As they stand they lend the welcome variety of short cleek shots from tee to green, and it is a question whether they should not be allowed to remain. The fourteenth hole is rich in having tw o dyke hazards. The fifteenth hole takes the player to the highest elevation of the course. If he can take his attention for a moment off his ball, and if the too frequent fog is absent, he may command a magnificent panorama of the Cathkin Braes and the valley of the Clyde on the one side and the Campsie Hills on the other.
The fifteenth, sixteenth, and seventeenth holes are similar in character, each having the inevitable dyke as a hazard. The home hole is one of the most interesting on the course. A drive over a wall discloses the green away down the hill, while a cabbage garden and the canal will swallow a pulled tee-shot. The green should be reached in two.
To-day the Spring meeting of the Glasgow club will be held over Alexandra Park, and as has been stated, the Blackhill course will be formally opened.
Glasgow EveningTimes April 5th 1895
Glasgow Golf Club
Opening Of New Course At Blackhill.
The new golf course at Blackhill will be
Formally Opened for play on Saturday, 6th
Inst., at Three O’Clock Afternoon. J.R. Morton Esq,
Captain Of The Club, Will Strike Off The First Ball
Adam Neilie, Secretary
Glasgow, 175 St Vincent Street
Glasgow Evening Times April 6th 1895
The New Golf Course At Blackhill
The new course at Blackhill in connection with the Glasgow Golf Club was formally opened to-day. We give a plan of the course. The green gives great promise of being an ideal spot for carrying on the Royal and Ancient pastime. For the most part the turf is old, and exceedingly well clothed. Hazards are numerous – in fact, there is not a single hole that has not a stone wall between the tee and the green. The putting greens, too, are all natural, and are each 25 yards square. The special feature of the course, as distinguished from Alexandra Park, and one which is very welcome to players, is that members will have to possess a knowledge of every part of the game to negotiate the holes successfully. The putter will have to be used only on the greens, and not from the tee as at the park. Access to the first tee is by the bridge over the canal, and the distance from the present club-house is ten minutes walk.
Distance To Holes
1st Hole …… 236 yards 7th Hole ….. 273 Yards 13th Hole …….. 227 Yards
2nd “ …... 275 “ 8th “ …... 324 “ 14th “ ……… 250 “
3rd “ …… 250 “ 9th “ ….. 295 “ 15th “ ……… 260 “
4th “ …… 325 “ 10th “ …... 325 “ 16th “ ………. 293 “
5th “ …… 295 “ 11th “ …… 292 “ 17th “ ………. 300 “
6th “ …….. 230 “ 12th “ …... 300 “ 18th “ ………. 255
Dundee Courier April 8th,1895
Glasgow Club Spring Meeting
On Saturday the Glasgow club held its spring meeting over the Alexandra Park, and special interest was attached to the occasion, as it was the last day on which the premier club in the West will hold competitions over these links. The club has acquired a private course over the Blackhill estate, to the North-East of the park, and the new course was formally opened in the afternoon, when the Captain ( J.R. Motion ) and the veteran William Doleman played a match for holes. The Captain won by four holes. The course is a capital one, with plenty of hazards, and the greens promise to be good. As to the competition, the club medal was won by the champion, D. Bone, who made a scratch score of 77. He also won the Robertson Putter. The Wilson Medal ( handicap ) fell to John Leishman with 85 less 11 = 74. The scoring all over was unusually high, as a gale of wind blew all day.
Scotsman May 24th, 1904
The Glasgow Club’s New Course
The golf course at Killermont recently acquired by the Glasgow Golf Club was opened on Saturday afternoon by Lord Provost Primrose, who, with a silver-mounted cleek, drove the first ball from a tee made by “ Fiery.” The Lord Provost confessed to being extremely agitated, and modestly pointed to the finger of fortune as having enabled him to hit the ball.
This done, the company proceeded to the club-house, where prosperity to the club was pledged with cake and wine. In a graceful speech Sir John referred to the history of the club since it was originated in 1787, and hoped that in the new home, “ beautiful beyond description,” the club would preserve all the best traditions of the game. Golf in the West has proceeded by leaps and bounds in recent years, and the opening of Killermont should still further swell the ranks of the devotees of the Royal & Ancient game.
The semi-final and final rounds of the foursome tournament were played, and ended in a win for Messrs James Robb and T.W. Robb who in the final defeated Messrs Colville and Hutchison by 2up and 1 to play.