Beauly Golf Club. Founded 1893. No references to this club have been found.
Reconstituted 1910 on an 18-hole course on land belonging to Lord Lovat, adjacent to the station.
“The project of laying out an inland golf course at Beauly, which offers such a variety of scene, has at length materialised. The hearty co-operation of Lord Lovat, the proprietor, has been secured – in fact, his Lordship is the moving spirit in the movement. The promoters took counsel with Mr Ben Sayers, North Berwick, who made a minute examination and report. Mr Sayers was captivated by the beauty and variety of the proposed course, where he had no difficulty in mapping out an eighteen-hole course, which, when laid out, will, in his opinion, be a most excellent and sporting course. Some of the soil is so rich that it will only be necessary to raise and relay the turf, while the natural bunkers that present themselves are various and different. Roughly, the length of the course is 5540 yards, and when completed is fully expected to rank as the best between Nairn and Dornoch. It is to be started at once, and will be opened with an exhibition by a number of leading professionals about the middle of May. In order to put the scheme on a business basis, a meeting was last evening convened in the Phipps Hall, at which Lord Lovat presided and explained the steps taken, and the purport of the meeting, adding that after going into every detail of the scheme, Mr Sayers had estimated the cost of the construction at £200, and the annual upkeep at £150. Mr James A Campbell, who had been acting as interim secretary, intimated that of these sums, including the handsome donations of Lord Lovat and his friends, £185 had been subscribed for construction, and £135 for annual upkeep for three years. This was considered so very satisfactory that on the motion of Dr McDonald, seconded by Mr Birnie, it was unanimously agreed to proceed with the course, and a committee was formed to carry out the arrangements, with Lord Lovat as chairman. “ (S 10.1.1910)
Northern Chronicle June 29th 1910
The New Golf Course at Beauly
"There was a large gathering of Ladies and Gentlemen on Saturday afternoon at the opening by Lord Lovat of the excellent new 18 hole golf course at Beauly.
In these days, when golf has attained such remarkable popularity, it is to the decided advantage of a district to possess a full length course, and the community of Beauly are to be congratulated in having a course which will prove a distinct attraction to visitors. It was laid out by Mr Ben Sayers, the veteran golfer, who took full advantage of the natural hazards to add to the sporting character of the course, which measures 4932 yards. While a number of the holes present no great difficulty to the experienced golfer, there are others with such a variety of artificial and natural obstacles that the most skilful play is necessary. The course is picturesquely situated, and from the twelfth tee, which is reached by a terrace walk, a magnificent view is obtained of the surrounding country, comprising a picture of water, valley, and mountain, that will delight the eye of the visitor.The instructions of Mr Ben Sayers in the construction of the course have been admirably carried out. The greens which are of fair size, are in wonderfully good condition. The idea of providing a new course is due to Lord Lovat.
His lordship saw the possibilities of a first class 18 hole course to the district, and upon his proposal being made known it was enthusiastically supported by the community. In addition to giving the parks on which the course is situated, Lord Lovat gave a donation of £100 to the funds of the new Beauly Golf Club, and he also promised a contributuion of £25 for the next five years, and a guarantee for other £75.
The membership of the club already exceeds 130, and there is every expectation that as the course becomes better known this summer will be considerably augmented. Lord Lovat has been elected President and Captain of the club. In Mr J.A. Campbell the club possess an energetic secretary, who from the outset has manifested the keenest interest in the new course as a valuable asset to Beauly.
Another active supporter of the club is Mr James W. Macrae who has taken his full share in futhering the preliminary arrangements . Mr Macrae has been appointed convenor of the green committee with Messrs A Birnie and J. Mackenzie. Mr R. Kay, Commercial Bank, has been elected treasurer, and the members of committee are:- Messrs T. Robertson, A. Birnie, John Mackenzie, R. W. Hepburn, D. Macpherson, J.W. Macrae, J.T. Garrioch, Simon Macdonald, Dingwall; W. Shaw, do; W. Forbes, Muir of Ord; and Thomas Fraser, Inverness.
The new course starts from a point close to the public road leading to the station and is in proximity to the mineral well. It extends on both sides of the railway line and to the adjoining slopes.
Speech by Lord Lovat
"The opening ceremony aroused much public interest, and the proceedings past off with complete success. Among those present were:- Lord Lovat, Lady Lovat, the Hon. Mrs Stirling of Keir, The Hon. Bernard and Mrs Maxwell, Lieut.-general Sir Bruce Hamilton; Bishop Chisolm, Aberdeen; Provost Gossip, Inverness; Bailie and Mrs Birnie, do; Dr and Mrs Bruce, Dingwall; Mr J.T. Garrioch and Mrs Garrioch; Mr Roberts, Engineer-in–chief, Highland Railway; Mr T. Macewan, traffic manager do; Rev. Cannon Cameron, Beauly; Rev. Father Macqueen, Inverness; Rev. Mr Rankin, Kilmorack; Rev. Mr Macrae, U.F. Church, Beauly; Mr Steele, Inverness; Mr Macdonald, H.M.I.S., do; Mr Newlands, C.E., do; Mr L. Macrae, do; Mr Birnie, Wellhouse ; Mr Cumming, County Collector, Dingwall; Mr John Mackenzie, Banker, Beauly; Mr James Maclean, Wine Merchant, do; Mr Macdonald, Painter, do; Mr Maccallum, Draper, do; Mr James W. Macrae, Mr J.A. Campbell, and others.
Lord Lovat said he had great pleasure in declaring the Beauly Golf Course open. That day marked an important public event in the history of Beauly. They all knew that golf courses had great powers of attraction for visitors from the south, as well as affording recreation for the people of the district. Golf courses were the means of bringing prosperity to a district, and increased the demand for the letting of houses. Therefore, he felt that the new golf course at Beauly would add considerably to the prosperity and welfare of the district – (Applause).
The people of Beauly had come forward in no uncertain way with subscriptions to help the golf course, and to endevour to bring the course to the high pitch of excellence which they observed it was in that day. He thought if they looked round the course they would agree with him that it had been laid out in a thorough way, and the work reflected very great credit on Mr Campbell, the secretary and the committee who acted along with him- (Applause)
He was sorry they had not present with them that day Mr Ben Sayers, who had laid out the course. They owed a very hearty vote of thanks to Mr Sayers and to the people in the district who had taken an interest in the work – (Applause).
He asked them to accord a hearty vote of thanks to the committee who had been able to get such thoroughly good work done in such a short period of time. He would not delay them longer, as he had no doubt that many would wish to enjoy a game. He could assure them that the leading four players would do their best to get out of the way, perhaps partly for their own safety- (Laughter).
He had pleasure in formally declaring the golf course open – (Loud Cheers).
Provost Gossip said he had the distinguished honour of being asked to present a driver to Lord Lovat as a mark of their appreciation of the splendid work Lord Lovat had done in connection with getting up the Golf Course. He understood Lord Lovat was the originator of the proposal of making the Golf Course, and had also contributed largely to the fund, and had exercised his influence and power in many directions to such an extent that they had a really fine Golf Course, which was likely to be of lasting benefit to the fine city of Beauly (Laughter).
He had a great love for Beauly himself, second he might say, to that of Lord Lovat. Beauly was one of the prettiest villages they had in the north of Scotland . In it, they had men of energy and ability, who were ready to do anything to further the prosperity of the district – applause). Visitors had been coming to Beauly in their hundreds, but with such a fine golf course they would now come in their thousands – (Applause).
They had also a very fine mineral well in the vicinity of the golf course. He had pleasure in presenting in name of the Beauly Golf Club, a handsome club to Lord Lovat – a club that it was impossible to make a bad shot with – (Laughter).
If Lord Lovat would always address the ball as eloquently as he addressed the House Of Lords, then he would always make a good score. (Laughter and applause).
Lord Lovat, in accepting the driver,sincerely thanked the Beauly Club for their handsome gift.
On the call of Provost Gossip, three hearty cheers were given for Lord Lovat. Cheers were also given for Lady lovat. The following is an inscription on a silver shield on the driver ;- Presented to the Right Hon. Lord Lovat, K.C.V.O., C.B., D.S.O., A.D.C., On the occasion of the opening of Beauly Golf Course. June 1910. The driver was supplied by Mr John Macpherson, Sporting Emporium, Inverness.
The opening match, which was thereafter played, was a very interesting four ball round between Lord Lovat and Mr Aylmer, Strathpeffer, on the one side, and Mr T.E. Grant, Dornoch, and Mr Alexander Birnie, Wellhouse, on the other. Amateur golfers in the surrounding district took a keen interest in this round on account of the presence of prominent amateurs like Mr Aylmer and Mr Grant, who have won distinction for themselves in the last two amateur championship competitions.
Mr Aylmer, as all golfers know, was the finalist this year against Mr John Ball Jnr, the present Amateur Champion. Last year Mr Grant had the great honour of having ousted Mr Ball in the Championship contest. As Lord Lovat had won credit in the parliamentary handicaps, there was also a keen desire to witness his play. The exhibition given by the four players was an excellent one. From the first tee, Aylmer and Grant, who had the preliminary round in the morning in order to acquaint themselves with the course, started at the top of their game. Their respective partners took a little time to settle down owing probably to the presence of a large “ Gallery”.
The drives from the tee from Aylmer and Grant were remarkably fine, their balls being phenomenally long and beautifully straight. The approach shots, which will be a very prominent part of the play on the new course, were also excellent all round.
Aylmer excelled for the first few holes in the running-up shots to the holeside, with the result that his side, after having the first and second, won three holes in succession.
Grant, possibly owing to his experience of the fast greens at Dornoch, did not quite gauge the necessary strength on the greens until the game was past midway. He won the sixth hole with an excellent 3, but Aylmer picked up another point at the eighth, and with another half Lord Lovat and Aylmer were three up at the turn. The half at the tenth was due to Mr Birnie’s accurate play from the tee. Winning the eleventh Lord Lovat and Aylmer were now four up, but they dropped appoint again at the next hole. Halves were registered at the four succeeding holes, giving Lord Lovat and Aylmer the match by 3 up and 2 to play. Aylmer won the 17th and Lord Lovat secured the last hole with a splendid 3. The players and other golfers, who went round the course, expressed their admiration with the manner in which the course had been planned by Mr Ben Sayers, and the members of committee were congratulated on the wonderfully good state of the greens. The following were the scores of the opening match.
Lord Lovat and Aylmer – 5,5,3,3,3,4,4,4,4,3,4,5,4,4,4,4,4,3. = 70
Grant and Birnie -- 5,5,4,4,5,3,4,5,4,3,5,4,4,4,4,4,5,4. = 76
A close and interesting two-ball foursome was subsequently played by Messrs Boyd and Anderson, members of the Prestwick Golf Club, against Messrs Ian Munro and Peter Robertson, of the Strathpeffer club. The golf displayed by this foursome was particularly fine, and the match was won by the Strathpeffer players, who were 4 up and 3 to play. Among the other matches was one between Mr J. McNicol, Inverness, and Alexander Shepherd, the Professional of the Inverness club, both accomplished golfers. This match was won by Shepherd, who holed out in the excellent score of 76. His opponent lost the ball at one hole and did not play out, but his score was 70 for 17 holes.
After the opening ceremony tea was served to the guests by a number of Ladies. A marquee was erected in the vicinity of the starting point. The excellent Pipe Band of the Lovat Scouts, under Pipe-Major Fraser, was present, and played a selection of Airs. The arrangements for the opening ceremony were excellently carried out by Mr J.A. Campbell, secretary, and the members of committee." (NC 29.6.1910)
The Ross-shire Journal Friday July 1st 1910.
Beauly Golf course
Opening ceremony by Lord Lovat
Note, The opening descriptions and text in thw Ross-shire Journal are almost identical to that of the Northern Chronicle but the description of the match is quite different and is as follows.
The first tee is in the Well Park and the line of play to the first hole skirts the public road. The hole is close to the bridge crossing and the railway. The road is out of bounds and a pull is punished. A hedge forms a hazard for the tee shot, and the drive must have height as well as carry ; accurate hitting obviously is essential.
Messrs Grant and Aylmer were well over the hedge, but Lord Lovat was to the right and in the rough and short. Mr Birnie was out of bounds. The latter two never recovered and the hole was halved by the others in a good 5.
The second hole was perfectly halved in 5. The line to the second or long hole runs practically parallel with the railway. A pull here also gets out of bounds, but to the right there is plenty of playing space.
It was mainly due to Mr Aylmer’s perfect short game that his side took the lead at the next hole. The green is in the centre of the field, with a large tree to the left and a bunker to the right. Mr Aylmer was on the green with his drive, but Mr Grant was trapped in the tree and took 3 to reach the green, getting down in 5 to his opponents 3.
The fourth or short hole is trapped by a hedge and roadway, with bridgend near enough to commend caution. All were over the road. A short pitch laid Mr Aylmer’s ball dead and again he got down in 3 to his opponents 4, thus standing 2 up.
The hedge, with trees on the left of the steading park and rough to the right, afford hazard for the fifth, and modify the temptation to let out. Another perfect 3 for Mr Aylmer, who lay dead with his approach, enabled his side to lead by 3 holes, both Mr Grant and Mr Birnie taking 5.
The sixth hole is 168 Yards – a good cleek shot – but beyond the green, which is surrounded by small hillocks, whins and a burn wait the unwary. It is a fine tricky hole.
All were on the green in two, but Mr Grant was the only one to get down in 3, and he won the first hole for his side.
The seventh is across the railway, and in front of the tee there is a burn and a rough roadway, both of which have to be carried. They present no great difficulty, however. The line of play to the hole, 350 yards, is in the direction of Farley House and on sloping ground. The hole, which is guarded by raised mounds, was beautifully halved in 4 by Mr Aylmer and Mr Grant.
The eighth hole, which is also guarded with raised hazards, is 330 yards distant, and the tee is situated close to the ariel railway. Mr Aylmer regained his lead of 3, playing the hole perfectly in 4. Weak putting, however, on Mr Grant’s part only lost the hole. The last named was finding the greens heavy, and several times his putts were not strong enough.
From the ninth tee the line of play is alongside a dyke with an avenue of trees, and a pulled shot meets with trouble. The length is 227 and a half in 4 showed a nicely played hole. Lord Lovat and Mr Aylmer thus turned 3 up.
No great difficulty is met to the first hole in the return half, which is a short hole, but the cleek shots did not quite reach the green. Mr Birnie was home with his brassey, and he and Mr Aylmer, whose pitch was dead, halved the hole in 3.
The eleventh hole at Diamond Hill is “ Blind” with a hazard midway in the line of the drive, and punishment for a pull or a slice if the line through the trees be not accurately kept. However, a moderate driver will reach the rising ground beyond the intersecting road, and the green should be comfortably carried with a second. All got on to the slope, save Lord Lovat, who, however, made a good recovery, and lipped the hole for a 4. Aylmer was down in that figure, Grant, who was a little to the right with his drive, and Birnie each registering 5s.This put Lord Lovat and his partner 4 up, but Grant showed the finer play at the twelfth hole. The tee of this hole is reached by a terraced walk leading to the highest point of the course. Theline of play is angular. The burn and the road have to be crossed, and the tall trees are in the way. Once these hazards are past there are more difficulties. A burn and whins guard the green and the approach must be perfectly played. Grant got a hook on his drive that gave him a good line of approach, and with his second he was over the fence, just short of the green. With an excellent run-up he had a 4. Aylmer drove into the long grass, took two to get out of it and got down in 5.
The thirteenth crosses the road from a tee cut in sloping ground. A good drive leaves a long approach. Birnie almost got this hole, but his ball just lipped the hole and a half in 4 was called. The line to the fourteenth hole, 253 yards, is alongside the railway, and a sliced drive is sure to be out of bounds. Setting out at right angles along a fence, the furthest away point to the north is reached, where the green is a sloping one, but presents no difficulties. All were down in 4s. The next three holes are as interesting as any in the homeward journey. At the 16th green, 315 yards, some artificial hazards have to be negotiated. Re-crossing the railway bridge the 17th tee is situated immediately on the other side. Some distance from the hole, 367 yards, a hedge has to be carried. The green is well guarded with raised mounds. The 15th was nicely halved in 4s, but Grant was beholden to his partner for this. Grant and Aylmer had magnificent drives to the 16th. Lord Lovat got his ball badly on the heel of his club. Birnie failed to reach the green in 2, and Aylmer and Grant halved the hole in 4.
This decided the match Lord Lovat and Aylmer winning by 3 and 2.
Playing the bye Aylmer won the next hole in a perfect 4, the others taking 5. The eighteenth hole, the short,-135 yards- is somewhat tricky. Behind the tee and the hole a line of trees juts out necessitating a sporting high shot. A bunker gaurds the right of the green. While Aylmer was too strong, Grant and Birnie were both in the bunker, Lord Lovat, who had the best tee shotlying on the edge of the green. Grant and Birnie got out of their difficulty well and both lipped the hole for 3s. Aylmer was short with his approach, and took 4, but Lord Lovat, running well up with his second, secured the hole in 3, and gave his side a lead of 5 holes in the round. The best ball scores were :-
Lord Lovat and Aylmer – 5,5,3,3,3,4,4,4,4, - 35
3,4,5,4,4,4,4,4,3, - 35 --- 70
Grant and Birnie -- 5,5,4,4,5,3,4,5,4, - 39
3,5,4,4,4,4,4,5,4, - 37 --- 76
The second foursome took place between Messrs Anderson and Boyd, Prestwick and Messrs Ian Munro and P.D. Robertson, Strathpeffer. At the start the play was phenomenal, the latter pair taking the first six holes in an average of one above 3s and standing 5 up. This standard of play, however, was not maintained, but Messrs Munro and Robertson won comfortably by 4 and 3.
Later in the evening, Mr Aylmer played a few holes, when, making only one mistake, he did the first six holes and the three home holes in the record score of 31.
The entire lengh of the course is 5146 yards divided as follows :-
1 ……. 347 Yards 10 ……. 267 Yards
2 ……. 400 “ 11 …… 300 “
3 …… 293 “ 12 ……. 368 “
4 …… 168 “ 13 ……. 341 “
5 …… 295 “ 14 ……. 253 “
6 …… 168 “ 15 ……. 224 “
7 …… 350 “ 16 ……. 315 “
8 …… 330 “ 17 ……. 365 “
9 …… 227 “ 18 ……. 135 “
Total Out 2578 Yards Total In 2568 Yards
"Playing over the new golf course at Beauly on Monday evening, Tom Fernie, the Scottish Professional Champion, set up a new record. The record up till then was 73, which was put up by Mr Aylmer, the Sidmouth and Strathpeffer record holder, on the opening day. Fernie’s score was 71, and was made in a foursome in which he was partnered with Sir Seaton Kerr, against Mr Ben Sayers and Mr Young. Sir Seaton and Fernie won by 3 and 1. The lengh of the course is 5146 yards, and the holes vary in length from 150 yards to 400 yards. To-day an exhibition game is to be played by Alex Herd, Tom Fernie and Ben Sayers." (NC 10.8.1910)
Ross-shire Journal August 12th 1910
Noted Professionals at Beauly
"Alexander Herd, Tom Fernie, Ben Sayers and Shepherd, Inverness gave an exhibition over the new Beauly Golf Course on Wednesday before a large and interested crowd. The course was in fair condition. Herd and Fernie played a stroke match and Sayers and Shepherd followed, also in a stroke match in the forenoon. Herd outdrove Fernie at the first two holes, securing both in 5 and 4 to Fernie’s 7 and 5, the latter going out of bounds at first. The third was halved in 4, but Herd won the fourth in 3, coming within four yards with his drive. The fifth and sixth were halved in 4 and 3. Notwithstanding a bad pull into the rough at the seventh, Fernie recovered splendidly, winning in 4 to 5. Perfect play halved the eighth in 4. Herd won the ninth in 3, turning in 35, four strokes under Fernie. After halving the tenth in 4, Herd won the eleventh in 4, and the dog leg in the same figure.Herd took five to Fernie’s 3 at the thirteenth, showing weakness on the green for the first time.Herd finished in 3,3,4,5,and 2, his score being 68, which cut five strokes off the record ( Amateur ) for the course. Fernie, who was slightly off colour, required 76.
Sayers and Shepherd played excellent golf, Sayers having eight 3s, and finishing in 74. Shepherd was 75, including an excellent 2 at the tenth.
In the evening Herd and Fernie played in a four ball match against Sayers and Shepherd. Both Fernie and Shepherd played poorly, the game being practically a tussel between Herd and Sayers. Herd and Fernie won by 3 and 2, Herds round was 68. Sayers completed the round in 72.
Forenoon – Out 5,4,4,3,4,3,5,4,3, - 35
In 4,3,4,5,3,3,4,5,2, - 33 --- 68
Evening Out 5,4,3,3,4,3,4,5,3, - 34
In 4,4,4,4,3,3,4,4,4, - 34 --- 68
Forenoon – Out 5,6,3,3,5,3,6,4,3, - 38
In 3,3,4,4,5,3,6,5,3, - 36 --- 74
Evening -- Out 5,4,4,3,4,3,5,5,4, - 37
In 3,3,4,4,4,3,5,5,4, - 35 --- 72
"The Beauly course was busy last week, a mixed foursome for several valuable prizes promoted by the management, taking place on Wednesday evening. Miss Janet Macrae, Gladstone House, and Mr J.B. Jamieson, had charge of the arrangements and 20 couples competed. Keen interest was manifested, 12 holes being played, and the following were the leading scores. Viz :- 1. Miss M. Mackenzie and Mr T. McCallum 83 less 30, 53 ; 2. Miss Galloway and Mr A. Ross 75 less 15, 60 ; 3. Miss B. Ross and Mr G. Galloway, 77 less 15, 62 ; 4. Miss Stewart and Mr W. Cruikshanks, 82 less 19, 63 ; 5. Miss Paterson and Mr P. Lennox, 84 less 21, 63 ; 6. Miss J. Macrae and Mr J.B. Jamieson, 68 less 4, 64 ; 7. Miss Macpherson and Mr C. MacLeod, 80 less 16, 64. The prizes were presented at the close by Mrs McCallum, Ions, who was awarded hearty cheers."
Northern Chronicle January 31st 1912
Beauly Golf Club Annual Meeting
"The annual general meeting of the Beauly Golf Club was held in the Phipps Hall, Beauly, on Monday evening. There was a large attendance, and Mr J.T. Garrioch, factor for the Lovat estates, was called to the chair. After the minutes of the last meeting were read and approved of, the secretary Mr James A. Campbell read his report. The statement bore that five matches with outside clubs were played, of which three were won and two lost. The siver cup presented by Mr Chisholm of Duthil, Minesota, had been won by Mr Anton Gunn, the runner-up being Mr James Grant.
Lord Lovat’s cup was played for fornightly, all winners playing in a final match, when Mr R.W. Hepburn secured absolute possession. The first class gold medal was won by Mr James A. Campbell, and the second class one by Mr Kenneth Mack and the report extended enzie.
Mr Garrioch presented a series of prizesfor mixed foursomes, Mrs MacCallum and Mr John Macdonald taking first place, and Miss Grant and Mr A. Birnie the second prize. Besides these there were several mixed foursomes arranged by the President of the Ladies section, Mrs MacCallum and the secretary, Miss Macrae for prizes obtained through the good graces of these ladies and the report extended a mead of praise to these ladies for their interest in the club.
The membership showed an increase of 17 from the previous year, the total being 133. The report recommended the erection of a clubhouse without delay and went on to criticise the conditions of the course urging that the greens were not receiving anything like adequate attention.
Mr T.G. Gillespie submitted the financial statement, which showed that the season opened with a deficit of £27.5s 7d and closed with a credit balance of 18s 10d.
Both reports were adopted, and on the motion of Mr J.T. Garrioch, Mr Campbell and Mr Gillespie were cordially thanked for their sevices.
A full discussion took place over the question of a clubhouse, and a committee was appointed to go into the matter, get designs and estimates of costs to-gether with suggestions as to how the money could be raised, and to report to an early meeting.
It was agreed to allow the ladies section the sum of 2s 6d per month during the season for a small monthly prize to be played for at the ladies discretion. The prizes won during the season were presented by the chairman, who was awarded a vote of thanks for same and for his conduct in the chair." (NC 31.1.1912)
Northern Chronicle April 10th 1912
The active season opened on the Beauly Golf Club on Saturday, when a match took place between 13 a side Captained by Mr R.W. Hepburn, who is Captain, and Mr James A. Campbell, secretary. The weather was very boisterous, the wind at times approaching hurricane force, and making play very difficult. The Captain won by eight matches to four, one match being left drawn. The following were the teams and scores :-
A. Birnie ………………………… 1 John Mackenzie ………………. 0
R. W. Hepburn …………………… 1 W. Lawson …………………… 0
Ian Gunn ………………………… 1 J.A. Campbell ………………… 0
John Macdonald …………………. 0 Anton Gunn ………………….. 1
G. Galloway …………………….. 1 Jack Birnie ……………………. 0
K. Mackenzie …………………… 1 Alick Ross ……………………. 0
G.T. Thin ………………………… 1 J.T. Gillespie …………………. 0
D. Pollock ………………………... 1 Archie Macrae ……………….. 0
J. Mackenzie …………………….. 0 John Paterson ………………… 1
Andrew Mackay …………………. 1 Alick Maccallum …………….. 0
R.L. Anderson …………………… 0 W. Mackenzie ……………….. 1
D. Paterson ……………………… 1 George Macdonald ……………. 0
W. Campbell ……………………. 0 John Fraser …………………… 1
Northern Chronicle April 17th 1912
The Beauly course is greatly improved, the greens in particular being truer than last season. Several alterations have been affected by the green committee, while it is also intended to introduce several pot bunkers at holes where no natural difficulties present themselves.
Northern Chronicle May 1st 1912
The Beauly Golf Club are buy arranging their competitions for the coming season, and some valuable prizes fall to be competed for, amongst others, the Chisholm cup, the Hawkes gold medal, the monthly gold medals, and other prizes. The Ladies committee are also arranging for the playing for several prizes, and later on a series of mixed foursomes are to be arranged. The entries for the competitions are in excess of any former year, and the course is becoming more popular every season.
Northern Chronicle May 15th 1912
The members of the above club competed on Thursday and Saturday evenings for the gold medal presented by Captain Hawkes. The prize was competed for against the bogey score of the course and drew out a very big entry. The winning card was returned by Ian Gunn, who was two up on the redoubtable Colonel. The next best scores were Anton Gunn one down and A. Birnie two down.
Ross-Shire Journal June 21st 1912
A general meeting of the Beauly golf club was held in Phipps Hall on Friday evening, when Mr Birnie, Wellhouse, presided over a full attendance of Ladies and Gentlemen. The principal business was to proceed with the arrangements for the Bazaar, to be held in the Phipps Hall on Friday and Satuday, 13th and 14th September. The Hon. Secretaries read a large number of replies from patrons and patronesses, all of whom promised substantial financial and personal support.
It was further intimated that lady Lovat was toTake a stall while lady Marjory Mackenzie of Gairloch the Hon.Mrs Merry of Belladrum, and Miss Dove, Eilean Aigas, also offered to take are stall.It was agreed to have seven stalls in all, including four work stalls, a luncheon and refreshments stall, a flower stall, and a produce stall.It was agreed to ask Lord Lovat to open the bazaar on the 13th and Lady Portsmouth on the 14th.
The Scotsman August 11th, 1913
New Clubhouse At Beauly
The new clubhouse of the Beauly club was opened on Saturday, when there was a large assemblage of golfers, including many of the country gentry. The course, which is an excellent 18 hole one, was laid out four years ago under the supervision of Bernard Sayers Snr, since which time excellent progress has been made with the game in the district. By means of a bazaar, funds were raised to build the house, which contains commodious and well furnished ladies and gentlemen’s rooms, a well-lighted hall, and a kitchen with full cooking apparatus. In the absence of Lord Lovat, President of the club, on whose property the course is, his Brother-In-Law, the Hon. B.C. Maxwell, Fairlie House, presided at the opening ceremony. The Hon. Mr Maxwell said golf was yearly becoming more popular, and its influence spreading all over the world. He had recently played the game in China, and not only were there keen players there, but the caddies were quite loquacious as their local ones.
The Hon. Mrs Maxwell applied the key to the door, and declared the clubhouse open, amid hearty applause. The group were photographed, and after tea, purveyed and served by the ladies, a game of twenty-one a-side was engaged in with the Inverness club, resulting in a win for the visitors by 13 matches to 8.
Major Trophies:Lord Lovat’s Cup. Chosholm Silver Cup, Hawkes Gold Medal, Second Class Gold Medal
The land was requisitioned by the Ministry of Agriculture in 1914.