Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland
 Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland

 Golf on Alexandra Park in the 1890s, surrounded by pollution and industrial waste.

Welcome to Glasgow & District.

Alexandra club at Alexandra Park.

Alexandra Park (Glasgow) Overview.

1870 Glasgow golf club is resuscitated.

1870 Alexandra Park is opened by corporation of Glasgow.

1871 October,  Glasgow golf club begin playing at Alexandra Park. also at Queens Park

The Glasgow golf club will maintain the course in the park until 1896.

1894 Alexandra Golf Club is born and begin playing at Alexandra Park.

1895 April Glasgow golf club leave Alexandra Park and go to Blackhill.

1896 May, Glasgow corporation re-open Alexandra Park and take full control again.

1899 Alexandra golf club leave and go to new course at Riddrie Mains.

1907 Alexandra club move from Riddrie Mains to council run Lethamhill. Both the public and Alexandra club use this course until Alexandra club lose their lease in the 1930s. Lethamhill is a council run course today.

Details of the Alexandra Park golf course can be quite confusing, hence the overview at the top of the page. 

Alexandra Park Re-Opens

 

Evening Times May 29th 1896

 

As was stated in our various editions the Alexandra Park course, which the corporation have resolved to maintain in future, was formally opened yesterday afternoon, when Ex Baillie Osborne drove off the first ball. The ceremony was witnessed by the members of the Parks and Galleries Committee and several other gentlemen, including a number of well-known Glasgow golfers.

Since taking over the course several alterations and improvements have been made, and an extra field or two have been taken in, thus enabling the course to be lengthened. Previously it was 4156 yards in length, while it is now 4264 yards. The old eleventh, twelfth, sixteenth, and eighteenth holes have been abandoned, and others substituted alongside the railway.

The holes as re-arranged are : The Bushes 271 Yds : The Mound 284 : The canal 396 : The flag staff 243 : Tinto 200 : The tree 236 : The corner 185 : Jean Frame 233 : The halfway 186 : Haghill 182 : Kennyhill 140 : The old farm 162 : The bridge 360 : The centre 185 : Campsie 312 : The locks 200 : The hollow 350 : and Home 175.

The work has been carried out under the supervision of Mr Whitton, Superintendant of parks. In common with other golf courses, the park is not in the best condition on account of the long spell of dry weather, but the greenkeeper ( Mr William Frame ) has the putting greens in a good state. They will, however, require a good deal of attention, and it is very important that sea sand should be used for top dressing. The course would be all the better of a few hazards, which can be made very easily with old railway sleepers. Similar hazards were made at Bearsden two or three years ago, with a resultant improvement in the iron play of the members. The Corporation have decided to charge 2d for a day’s play, and 7s 6d for a yearly ticket. 

Alexandra Park when it was an 18 hole course

Following the departure of Alexandra GC, the 18 hole course continued in use as a corporation course until it was closed in 1904.  In 1907 a 9-hole course was opened on part of the ground used for the old course. (GI 14.6.07) and still exists today.

Glasgow Evening Times February 10th 1899

 

Moving to Pastures New

 

In the interest of the club itself, the change is a praiseworthy one, and the withdrawal of 150 players from Alexandra Park will materially relieve that congested links. There are nine holes which have most advantageously placed.  Some of them for the present have been made purposely short, but as soon as the ground has been played over a bit the tees will be put back.  A cursory glance at the sketch will convince the observer that the  green is not adapted for the trundler, and that skilful mashie play will be necessary in order to compile a respectable score.  Trees are scattered throughout the course and will be found most obstructive to the wildly driven ball. There are also formidable hazards in the shape of clumps of whins.  On a good many inland greens these are conspicuous by their absence, but as they are common on coast links the experience gained by the members on Riddrie Knowes will stand them in good stead when they play over first-class sea grounds.  In addition to the ditches, there are a road, a burn, and a quarry the last named forming a hazard at two holes.  On the whole the course is decidedly sporting and should a better test of a golfer’s ability than the one the club have deserted.  As a temporary pavilion the Committee have secured rooms in a cottage at the entrance to the course, where members can leave their clubs.  The prospects of the club are exceedingly promising, and as the members are enthusiastic golfers, we may reasonably conclude that the turf will speedily be brought into good playable condition.   As I understand the limit of membership has almost been reached, those gentlemen intending to join should lose no time in making application in the proper quarter.  

 

Holes vary in length from 165 to 290 yards.  Hazards are trees, whins, a road, a burn and a quarry.  Membership 120(GA 1901-02). 

Owing to increasing application for membership, and the congested state of the course, the committee looked for a new course.  After much labour, they have been able to get a lease of about 90 acres on Lethamhill Estate from the Glasgow Corporation for 10 years.  The estate lies about 5 minutes walk from the Riddrie car terminus, and as the turf has not been turned up for many years, the committee expect a great demand for membership.  Already there are over 300 members, and as there is a fine old mansion house to be converted into a club house, it is generally believed the club will be thoroughly up-to-date.  The committee expect to have the course ready early in the spring of 1907.” (NGYB1907) 

 

Length of Course, 5040 yards - Bogey  78

             Hole No.        1            2           3          4          5            6          7          8             9

Length in yards         190      405      290      425      270      240      265      280        195

                Bogey          3            5           4          6          4          4             5          4             4

             Hole No.        10         11        12         13        14        15        16        17           18

Length in yards         310      385      265      310      330      120      325      320        140

                Bogey           4           5           4           4           5          3           5          5             3

 

Bunkers have been put down, and greatly help to making the course more difficult (WWG). 

Major Trophy: Garroway Cup. Gold Medals (scratch and Handicap)

Membership 400. Last recorded 1933.

Alexandra Club at Riddrie Knowes

Evening Times February 10th 1899

Text which accompanied sketch

 

The Alexandra Club’s New Course

 

As intimated last week, the Alexandra Club members have “ Hived” and settled down at Riddrie Knowes, where there is a good stretch of suitable golfing ground on the Gartcraig Estate, which is owned by Mr George J. Millar of Frankfield. In the interest of the club itself, the change is a praiseworthy one, and the withdrawal of 150 players from Alexandra Park will materially relieve that congested links. The course will be formally opened tomorrow afternoon by the Honorary President of the club, Mr James R. Garroway, who will drive off the first ball. It is within easy walking distance from Alexandra Park Station, and the starting point is close to the Cumbernauld Road. There are nine holes which have been most adavantageously  placed. Some of them for the present have been made purposely short, but as soon as the ground has been played over a bit the tees will be put back. A cursory glance at the sketch will convince the observer that the green is not adapted to the trundle, and that skilful Mashie play will be necessary in order to compile a respectable total. Trees are scattered throughout the course, and will be found most obstructive to the wildly driven ball. There are also formidable hazards in the shape of clumps and whins. On a good many inland greens these are conspicuous by their absence, but as they are common on coast links the experience gained by the members on Riddrie Knowes will stand them in good stead when they play over first class sea grounds. In addition to ditches, there are a road, a burn, and a quarry, the last named forming a hazard at two of the holes. On the whole the course is decidedly sporting, and should prove a better test of a golfers ability than the one the club have deserted. The committee have decided not to build a clubhouse at present. As a temporary pavilion they have secured rooms at a cottage at the entrance to the course, where members can leave their clubs. The prospects of the club are exceedingly promising and as the members are enthusiastic golfers, we may reasonably conclude that the turf will be speedily brought into good playable condition. As I understand the limit of membership has almost been reached, those gentlemen intending to join should lose no time in making application in the proper quarter.

 

Alexandra club's second course at Riddrie Mains

 On the Move Again !

 

 

Scotsman October 9th, 1906

New Course At Glasgow

 

The Alexandra club, which has been in existence for twelve years, and presently occupies a nine hole course at Riddrie, has just leased from the Glasgow Corporation the lands of Lethamhill, some little distance further North than their present course, and a little way to the Eastward of Blackhill public course. Ever since the Glasgow club left Blackhill there has been a constant cry for an outlet for East End golfers, and the new course, which will easily afford eighteen full holes, is intended to supply the want. In some feartures Lethamhill resembles Killermont, with its mansion house and polices. More than £1,000 is to be spent in laying out the course and altering the house.

 

Nisbets Golf Year Book 1907.

 

Owing to increasing application for membership, and the congested state of the course, the committee looked for a new course.  After much labour, they have been able to get a lease of about 90 acres on Lethamhill Estate from the Glasgow Corporation for 10 years.  The estate lies about 5 minutes walk from the Riddrie car terminus, and as the turf has not been turned up for many years, the committee expect a great demand for membership.  Already there are over 300 members, and as there is a fine old mansion house to be converted into a club house, it is generally believed the club will be thoroughly up-to-date.  The committee expect to have the course ready early in the spring of 1907.” (NGYB1907) 

 

Length of Course, 5040 yards - Bogey  78

             Hole No.             1          2           3            4           5           6            7          8              9

Length in yards         190      405      290      425      270      240      265      280        195

                Bogey                3          5            4          6           4            4          5             4            4

            

                Hole No.        10        11          12        13        14           15        16        17            18

Length in yards         310      385      265      310      330      120      325      320        140

                Bogey              4           5           4           4          5            3           5           5             3

 

Bunkers have been put down, and greatly help to making the course more difficult (WWG). 

Major Trophy: Garroway Cup. Gold Medals (scratch and Handicap)

Membership 400. Last recorded 1933.

Print Print | Sitemap
forgottengreens.com