Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland
 Forgotten Golfing Greens Of Scotland

Pannanich Wells Hotel.

Pannanich Wells Hotel Golf Course. Opened 1908. Two and a half miles east of Ballater on the B 976.      

      “The new golf course in connection with the Pannanich Wells Hotel was formally opened on Saturday afternoon. On the invitation of Mr and Mrs Middleton, about 40 old friends and visitors to the Hotel arrived by the 2.45 train, and drove in brakes to the Hotel, where they were hospitably entertained at dinner. Mr Robert Watt, agent, North Of Scotland, and Town and County Bank, Harbour branch, Aberdeen, presided and Mr Aitken, Shipowner, and one of the oldest visitors to the Hotel, was croupier. Mr W.R. Aitken proposed “ The health of Mr and Mrs Middleton,” complementing them highly on their excellent management of the Hotel, and prophesying that the new course would greatly add to its attractions.

      The party then adjourned to the new golf course, which is beautifully situated on the banks of the Dee. The course is still at some points rather overloaded with natural hazards, but it will undoubtedly improve  as time goes on. The length of the various holes are First, 165 yards; Second, 185 yards; Third, 156 yards; Fourth, 150 yards; Sixth, 140 yards; Seventh, 145 yards; Eighth, 172 yards; Ninth, 180 yards. The various greens are getting into very good condition, but the tees, as a rule, are rather soft.

      The first ball was driven by Mr John Smart, Mr Smart mated with Mr David T. Lamont, Bieldside, and the round of nine holes was done in an average of 4. Mr Jamieson, City Analyst, Mr Alexander, Druggist, Aberdeen; and Mr Alexander Watt Jnr formed a threesome, and the average for the round was about 5. Mr Robert Watt and Mr Jamieson followed. The weather was lovely and all returned to the Hotel delighted with the course and its surroundings.

      After tea the party returned to Ballater and left by the 8.15 train. The company included; Mr Robert Watt, Agent, North of Scotland and Town and County Bank, Aberdeen ; Mrs Watt, Mr Rey, and Mr Jack Watt ; Mr Lewis Anderson, Inspector of Lighting, Aberdeen ; Mr W. Smith, Retired surveyor ; Mr Duncan, 607 Holborn Street, Aberdeen ; Mr John Valentine, Old Aberdeen ; Mr John Alexander, Druggist, King Street, Aberdeen ; Mr Joseph Henry, Belvidere Street, Aberdeen; Mr David T. Lamont, Bieldside; Mr R.W. Duthie, Netherkirkgate, Aberdeen; Misses Murray, Holborn Street, Aberdeen; Misses Duthie, Skene Terrace, Aberdeen ; Mr Smart, carrier to His Majesty The King; Mr James Grant, Joiners, (Grant Brothers); Mr James Coutts, Gamekeeper, Glenmuik; Mr Jamieson, City Analyst, Aberdeen; Mrs Jamieson; Mr and Mrs Jamieson; Mr and Mrs W.R. Aitken, Shipowner, and family.” (ADJ 8.6.1908)

Advertisements for the hotel, always mentioning the nine-hole golf course free to residents, appeared in the newspapers regularly until early in 1927. In October 1927 a new owner took over and no advertisements thereafter mentioned the course. It is reasonable to assume that course closed under the new management.

.

Print Print | Sitemap
forgottengreens.com