Dundonald Golf Course.
Formation Of Club
Ayr Advertiser March 23rd, 1911
"For some time there has been a talk of forming a course on the ground lying between the Gailes camping ground and the Barrassie course.
A meeting was held on Wednesday night in Glasgow, at which it was unanimously resolved to form a club, to be known as the Dundonald Golf Club, and to proceed with the formation of the links without delay. The ground extends to 120 acres, the turf being old and excellently adapted for the game. Fernie and Tulloch have planned a round about 6700 yards. The office bearers are : - Captain, G.R. Smith ; Vice Captain, John Baird ; and secretary and treasurer, David Spalding, 11 West Regent St, Glasgow, from whom further information can be obtained. The first hundred members have been admitted at an entry money of one guinea." (Ayr Advertiser 23.3.1911)
Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald June 30th, 1911
Opening Of New Dundonald Course.
"This new course, which has been laid out by Mr Tulloch, clubmaster of the Glasgow club’s course at Gailes, and Fernie, of Troon on the ground to the landward of the Western course, was opened in an informal manner on Saturday. The weather was dull all day, and heavy rain fell during the whole of the forenoon and the greater part of the afternoon, but in spite of this and the fact that no competition was arranged for in connection with the event there was an attendance of about 50 members and friends. The new course is one of the longest in the country, the round measuring about 6700 Yards. On Saturday it was in excellent condition, the ground, owing to the light sandy nature of the subsoil, being none the worse of the deluge of rain which it was subjected during the past week. It is understood that a clubhouse will be erected at an early date immediately to the landward of Gailes Railway Station."
"This new course, which has been laid out by Mr Tulloch, clubmaster of the Glasgow club’s course at Gailes, and Fernie, of Troon on the ground to the landward of the Western course, was opened in an informal manner on Saturday. The weather was dull all day, and heavy rain fell during the whole of the forenoon and the greater part of the afternoon, but in spite of this and the fact that no competition was arranged for in connection with the event there was an attendance of about 50 members and friends.On Saturday the course was in excellent condition, the ground owing to the light sandy nature of the subsoil, being none the worse of the deluge of rain to which it was subjected during the past week. The new course extends from the present railway station at Gailes to boundary at Barrassie, adjoining the Kilmarnock course there.Taking advantage of the three burns as hazards, which are crossed six times, as well as the natural lye of the ground, a very fine course has been formed.
Natural plateaus at a great many of the holes have been selected as putting greens in preference to the hollows, as this will make the approach shot more difficult than the lucky “triddler” into the punch bowl order. The whole of the ground is splendid old turf on a sandy sub-soil, and the course, with the exception of a few holes at either end, occupies the centre ground between the G. And S.W. Railway and the Ayr road. The length of the holes are :-
1 – 388 yards 10 – 383 yards
2 – 380 “ 11 – 500 “
3 – 340 “ 12 – 400 “
4 – 436 “ 13 – 180 “
5 – 345 “ 14 – 360 “
6 – 275 “ 15 – 480 “
7 – 440 “ 16 – 380 “
8 – 360 “ 17 – 450 “
9 – 150 “ 18 – 450 “
3114 Yards 3583 Yards
Total 6697 Yards
The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 18th, holes are over the good turf at the South end of the camping field, - ideal for golf ; the 4th hole goes over the burn – a fine two shot hole ; the 5th hole, a good drive takes to within a good iron shot to get over the burn ; 6th hole – tee here over the dyke, and a fine drive and pitch over splendid ground. Large natural bunker on the left of the green ; 7th hole – requires good drive to carry bunkers and whins, green finely placed on high ground at the end of the fine natural hollow ; 8th hole – over a whinny hill right down to railway, over fine turf ; 9th hole – will be one of the finest short holes on any links. The Barrassie burns form an island here, and lends itself to a perfect short hole ; 10th hole – from the island, the burn again has to be cleared with a carry of 150 yards, ample room on the left for the player who is too bold. The hole is over the best of golfing country. 11th hole – This is the long driver’s hole, and straight driving to keep clear of rushes on the right. A well-placed drive gives ample scope for the rest of the journey to the green ; 12th hole – Fine two shot hole over fine stretch of turf ; 13th hole – Stone dyke juts out over the approach – a beauty ; 14th hole – Requires long straight drive carry dyke and burn. Is nicely placed on a hill, and a perfect approach is necessary to lay on ; 15th hole – Along a fine, hollow, hilly ground on the right, and rushes on the left. The tee on the high ground gives a pretty outlook ; 16th hole – does not call for much comment ; 17th hole – Requires two perfect shots to carry the burn into a natural golfing hollow, where the green is finely situated.
The secretary of the new club is Mr David Spalding, of Messrs D. Spalding & Muir, accountants, 11 West Regent St, Glasgow.
A club house will be erected at an early date immediately to the landward of Gailes Railway station." (Dalry and Kilbirnie Herald 30.6.1911)
Note : The author has missed out a description of the 18th hole.
“The annual open scratch competition promoted by the Dundonald Golf Club took place over the club’s links at Gailes on Saturday and drew an entry of 49 golfers from Ayrshire, Glasgow and Lanarksire clubs. This figure is about 20 more than last year and represents the largest entry for the competition since the club changed the competition from a handicap to a scratch one. The prizes were the Defence Force Cup, and other prizes presented by the club.” (Ayr Advertiser 29.4.1926)
Glasgow Herald April 18th, 1952
Winding up of Golf Club.
"The decision to wind up Dundonald Golf Club, Gailes, was made at a meeting in Glasgow last night at which the club Captain, Colonel G.K. Crichton, presided. The clubs assets will be devided amongst the members. The club’s course at Gailes has been under continuous requisition by the war department since 1940. Part of the ground is to be used as a permanent army camp. It was announced that the lease, which expired in 1950, would not be renewed". (Glasgow Herald 18.4.1952).
Above is from the Daily Record, September 8th, 1945