Teeing off at Turnberry
Forgotten Greens Of Existing Clubs
The following details refer to existing golf clubs which have occupied a previous site, or sites, prior to their present location. Not all golf clubs have recorded their history in a publication or centenary book, therefore, this list will be a useful reference resource to present or future researchers. As this information was originally going into a book, and to keep the number of pages and cost to a minimum, it was decided to publish the information as a list, however, as we are now on a web site then this information can be expanded upon and edited as we go along.
This section of the site is very much an ongoing project and the information shown should not be regarded as being final. It is also our hope that new information will be contributed as the site becomes known.
Aberdeen Golf Club.
Played on course at Queens Links from 1815 to 1888.
The club have played at their present site at Balgownie since 1888.
Extensive histories have aready been written by others on this great club.
Aboyne Golf Club
1. Played on Village Green from 1874 although the club was not formally instituted until 1883. The club have played at their present site since 1905. ( Also see Aboyne in Main site )
The Aberdeen Press, March 29th, 1905
New Golf Course For Aboyne
A public meeting was held in the Aboyne public hall on Monday evening to discuss the projected acquisition of the Fernie Brae and Formaston Parks as a new golf links for Aboyne.
There was a large and representative gathering.
Mr A. Grant, Pine Villa, chairman of the golf club, presided, and in a concise manner explained the purpose of the meeting, the attitude of the golf club in relation to the scheme, and the steps which had been taken .He said the day was, when Aboyne rejoiced in being the happy possessor of a golf links on Deeside, but that day, fortunately or unfortunately, was past, and they were now on all sides eclipsed by their neighbours. The green of Aboyne was without doubt one of the principal attractions of the place, but, crowded as it was now with all sorts of games, it was altogether unsuitable for golf.
Mr Ean Cecil of Craigendinnie had, with kndly interest, agreed to lease the Fernie Brae and Formaston Park.
He ( The Chairman ) would say, not only according to the view of the golf club, but also according to the opinion of an expert who had carefully gone over the ground, that a more suitable place could not be found in Aboyne, nor indeed, in the whole of Deeside.
The laying out of the ground would involve a large expenditure, more than the present golf club could cope with single-handed, and they therefore wished to ascertain the feeling of the people of the district regarding the matter. As the success of the plan would depend on the support which the people of Aboyne would extend towards it, they appealed with confidence to them, as this was not a selfish scheme for the benefit of the golf club alone, but one calculated to effect very seriously the interests of the village as a whole.
Mr J. Milne, Shoemaker, Captain of the club, also spoke in support of the scheme.
Mr C. Smith, Postmaster, said surely the public must see how the scheme was to be for their mutual benefit. Aboyne was almost entirely a summer resort. If they failed to attract visitors all classes would suffer. If they were agreed that the scheme should be carried out, he suggested they should straightway proceed to discuss ways and means for its fulfilment. In his opinion, the first essential was the formation of a large and thoroughly representative committee.
Mr Grant stated that several letters had already been received in relation to the scheme, and several people had already given it substantial support by handsome donations.
Rev. Father Thomson said he was not animated by a blind enthusiasm for the game, and therefore any remarks he made should carry greater weight. He endorsed most emphatically the remarks of the previous speakers. He had known personally of people having passed over Aboyne in search of Ballater and other places with better golf links. It was recognised that a good golf course was a source of prosperity to many places. They ought to leave no means untried to attract visitors and to cater for their tastes. He himself was ready to contribute to the scheme, and he had no doubt many other persons would do the same. But it did not follow that he and other contributors were to be members of the golf club, and when the scheme was accomplished he felt that those contributors ought to have a vote in the management of the funds. He had no doubt the present golf club would see the wisdom of that policy. He therefore moved that a committee, to be called the new golf course committee, should be elected, with powers to carry the scheme through.
Mr Shiach, Shoemaker, supported Father Thomson’s motion, and added that it was of the utmost importance that the people of the village should know that they were not merely engaged in the formation of a new golf club, but were forming resolutions regarding the feasibility of a scheme which would be generally beneficial to all. He seconded Father Thomson’s motion as being the first necessary step to put the scheme in working order.
The motion was unanimously adopted.
Mrs Captain Farquhar, Granville Lodge ; Dr Macintosh, Mr A. Henderson, Merchant ; Mr Littlejohn, Builder ; and others asked a few questions calculated to enlighten the meeting as to the expense of the undertaking, and also as to the prospective means for putting it on a sound financial basis. These questions showed, in an informal manner, the unanimous feeling of the meeting was that each one would give the scheme his most practical and cordial support.
A large and thoroughly representative committee was then elected, and out of those was chosen a smaller body to act with discretionary powers as prime movers in the scheme. Mr Grant was appointed chairman and convenor of the committee, and Mr C. Smith, Postmaster, and Mr A.C. Borrowman, accountant, North of Scotland Bank, as joint secretaries.
On the motion of Mr Anderson, Banker, Mr A. Grant. Mr Sandison, Huntly Arms, and the two secretaries were delegated to negotiate the terms of the lease.
The meeting recognising Mr Anderson’s ability in matters of this kind, elected him unanimously as a member of the same delegation. This concluded the business of the meeting.
The Aberdeen Daily Journal September 14th, 1905
New Golf Course At Aboyne
Opened By Lord Aberdeen
The new golf course at Aboyne was opened yesterday by Lord Aderdeen in presence of a large number of visitors and of the inhabitants of the district. The first ball was driven off the tee by Mrs Coats of Glen Tana.
The course in one of nine holes, but it is hoped that before long the club may find itself in a position to acquire additional land, and complete the course of 18 holes. The new course has Aboyne-Loch in the East, the Queens Hill on the North, and the Ladywell Park on the West, and comprises the comparatively level ground of the Formaston Park and the uplands of the Fernie Brae. Mr J.A. Donaldson, of the Bieldside club, laid out the greens, and the whole scheme was carried out under the supervision of Mr James Stewart.
With Mr James Downie, as greenkeeper, the course ought by another year to improve in its sporting qualities.
The Opening Ceremony
At the opening ceremony there was a large and fashionable gathering. Mr J.R. Heaven, Forest Of Birse, presided. Invitations had been issued to the following subscribers, most of whom were present :- Lord and Lady Aberdeen, Mr J.R. Heaven, Forset of Birse, and party ; Mr G. Coats and Mrs Coats, of Glen Tana and party ; Mr W.E. Nicol, of Ballogie and party ; Lady Brooks, The Neuk ; Major Davidson of Dess ; Messrs J.C. Barclay-Harvey of Dinnet ; James Williams, Dakota ; Harvey Hall, Deeside Lodge ; A. Sandyson, Aboyne ; Robert Williams, Birsemohr Lodge ; Ewan Cecil, Craigendinnie ; James Ledingham, Kincardine O’Neil ; J.F. Cochran, of Balfour ; James Duguid, Millbank ; James Wright, The Birches ; Hon. Mrs St John, Drumnagesk ; Mrs Pickering of Kincardine ; Mrs Davidson, Altdinnie Tower ; Admiral Sir C. Fare, K.C.B., Balnacoil ; Dr Farquharson, M.P. ; Dr William Gordon, Town Clerk of Aberdeen ; Messrs Genise Morgan, R.A. Springfield ; J. Dyce Nicol, Bank of England, Hull ; W. Bullouch, Kincardine O’Neil ; H.O. Davidson, Birchbank ; G. Bennet Mitchell, Cae-na-coil ; Henry Ross, Craigmore ; Dr W. Brodie Brown, Rosslyn ; Messrs A.G. Anderson, Bank House ; John Coutts, Homewood ; James Cruikshank, Schoolhouse ; Robert Milne, Bona Vista ; A. Grant, Pine Villa ; W.S. Milne, Aboyne ; John Troup, Aboyne ; A. Henderson, Pine Villa ; Gordon Smart, James Milne, Aboyne ; A. Fletcher, Vulcan Cottage ; G.H. Cowie, Thistle Bank ; John Davidson, Aboyne ; F.C. Waters, Falcon Cottage ; R.G. Nicol, of Ballogie ; A.H. Stephen, Tigh-na-Gaeld ; D.M.M. Milligan, Advocate, Aberdeen ; Mrs C. Farquhar,Craiglurch ; Messrs W. Farquhar of Carlogie ; Peter Stewart, Aberdeen ; Captain Farquhar, R.N.C.V.O., Mr Kildane ; C. Robinson, The Vicrage, Hunstanton ; Dr Mackintosh, Camden ; Messrs R. Smith, Viewfield ; C.C. Smith, Post Office ; Alexander Wright, Springfield ; Alec Watt, Springfield ; A. Carnegie, Birsemohr Lodge ; Admiral Sir Aurthur Farquhar, K.C.B., Mrs King, Dalry ; Messrs A. Littlejohn, Builder ; Surgeon-General Spencer, C.B., Mrs E. Duncan, Preasmohr ; Miss Ross, Maneos House ; Rev. J.D. Mackenzie, The Manse ; Rev. A.W. Wishart, Aboyne ; Rev. J. Thomson, St Margarets, Aboyne ; Messrs John Grant, ( Watt and Grant ) ; A.T. Curr, Linton Cottage ; David Calder, Norwood ; James Clubb, Lily Vale, Aboyne ; James Stewart, Salisbury House ; Andrew Black, St Lesmo Tower ; T.A. MacKintosh, St Catherine’s ; Mrs Methven, Bletsoe ; Dr J. Inglis, Misses J.and M. Crombie, Station Square ; Miss Farquharson, May Villa ; Sir John Clark of Tillypronie ; Colonel R.F. Caldwell, Inneshewan ; Messrs Joseph Farquharson, R.A., Moubray Farquhar, Drumnasgesk ; Commander Stuart Farquhar, R.N., Messrs Aurhur Robertson, Aboyner ; James Gibb, Aboyne ; Captain Ewen, Mrs Maxwell, Balfour House ; Mr and Mrs Graham, Granville Lodge ; Messrs George Coutts, Earn Bank ; A. Langebrink, Birchwood ; Lady Francis Cecil, Fasnadairoch ; Mrs Thornycroft, Miss A. Dugdale, Mrs Moggath, Glenalloch ; Miss Garnt, Luton Cottage ; Mrs Robertson, Kincardine O’Neil ; Messrs R.P. Robertson, Glasgow ; J. Russell Middleton, Altdinnie ; J.P. Hardie, Gavin Coutts, Birchwood ; H.H. Tory, Stanley Cottage ; A. Buchan, Bridgend ; F. Middleton, Galindo ; Alexander Mackay, Aberdeen ; F. Birss, Boddomend ; J.G. Henderson, Stanley Cottage ; John Henderson, St Eunaus ; Georg Allan, Station Agent, Aboyne ; J. Bremner, Tarland ; Miss Fraser, Lodge Cottage ; Messrs J. Stewart Watt, Advocate, Aberdeen ; G. Barclay, Edinburgh ; J. Harper, Bridg-end ; Hon Mr Pennt, Tigh-no-gaeld ; Mrs Drake, Graiglarach ; Mr Willoughby Brown, Auchintarf ; Rev. Cecil Nash, Mrs McNair, Mrs Davidson, Altdinnie ; Miss Ogg, East Rosebank ; Miss Hyde, Auchentarf ; Mr J.F. Gaskell, Cambus O’May ; Lieutenant E. St John, R.A., Drumnagask ; Rev. Dr Dunn, The Manse, Birse ; Rev. A. Mackenzie, The Manse, Coull ; Messrs J.F. Bush, Huntly Arms ; A. McKenzie, Dunmail, Cults ; Inspector Allan, Police Station ; Messrs W. Ewen, Station Square ; W. Todd, Do ; Ex Provost Grant, Ballater ; Mr J. Anderson Titaboutie ; Messrs W. Shiach, Aboyne ; John Watson, The Hall ; Mrs Thomson, Aboyne ; Mrs Grant, Aboyne ; Mrs Thain, Viewmount ; Mrs Wadd, Victoria Cottage ; Messrs David Mearns Westwood ; Duncan Calder, James Smith, Cameratta ; H. McWilliam, W. Duncan, Dee Cstle ; James Duguid, Ballater ; A. Henderson Jun, John Middleton, Huntly Cottage ; Robert Dinnie, Birsbeg ; Miss Murray, Schoolhouse ; Miss Farquharson, The Firs ; Miss Stewart, Bridge View ; Mr C. Smith, Primrose Cottage ; Miss Lindsay, Clifton Cottage ; Messrs Hendry, Kinaldie, Tarland ; A. Davie, Huntly Cottage ; and John Farquhar, Granville Lodge.
The chairman said that they were met for the purpose of opening the new golf course at Aboyne. He was glad to be able to say that the new golf club started under very favourable financial conditions – ( Applause ) – thanks to the good work of the preliminary committee and of its energetic secretary, Mr Smith, ( Applause.)
The funds collected were sufficient to prepare the ground for the laying out of the golf course and the building of a handsome pavilion, and it was hoped that the members subscriptions would suffice to cover further current expenses, and also enable the club to complete the course and thus make it one of the best. ( Applause )
He had pleasure in asking Mr W.E. Nicol, of Ballogie, to give some of the reasons why the golf course was necessary. ( Applause.)
Address by Mr Nicol of Ballogie.
Mr Nicol, in the course of a racy speech, said he had been informed that it was his duty on that occasion to say something with regard to the opening of the course. They had all come there to celebrate two things. They were, first and foremost, there to celebrate the opening of their new golf course, and they had also come to celebrate the furtherance of the very royal and very ancient game. ( Applause.)
With regard to Royalty, they knew very well that the game has been played by many crowned heads ( Applause.) He believed the first crowned head who had ever played golf was James 1st, but whether or not he was a golfer of distinction they had no reliable information to go by ( Laughter.) They also knew that Charles 1st had played golf. That monarch had been playing somewhere near Edinburgh when he heard there was a rebellion in Ireland. He “ chucked” his single or his foursome. - ( Laughter.) – it was not related which he was playing – and went away in a troubled state of mind to Holyrood. Then there followed Charles 2nd, and his successor, the Duke of York, who had been a keen golfer and a good player, because that was related on most reliable authority. He did not know if any members of the house of Hanover ever played golf. He thought they would not, in all probability, have been so fleshy, as many of them were if they had played golf ( Laughter and Applause.)
Coming to more modern times, they found that his majesty the king took a great interest in the game. It was only last month that the king opened a golf links in Germany, and he had also a golf links in his own park at Windsor. Then they found that the late Duke of Albany and the late Duke of Clarence were very keen players. There were small fry – the Prime Minister – ( Laughter ) – the Colonial Secretary, Lord Advocates, and many other small fry keen at the game ( Laughter )
In Aboyne golf was played for many years on the green. He remembered when golf was played in a casual way, 25 or 30 years ago, but it was about 22 years since some of them met together at Aboyne and formed a club, which has played since, on the green. He was glad to sat that Rev. Dr Dunn and Dr Keith, and a few others had met together, and it was perhaps appropriate for him to address the gathering on the present occasion, as he had been elected at that bygone period the Captain of the first club. ( Applause.)
They owed a deep debt of gratitude to many people in Aboyne. There was a large committee who carried out the work in connection with their new course, and they had worked hard. ( Applause.) They knew that two gentlemen very kindly gave their honorary service. He referred to Mr Bennet Mitchell, who executed the plan of the course and the plan of the handsome pavilion, and kindly superintended the building until it had been completed. ( Applause.) One of the most energetic men in Aboyne was their friend Mr James Stewart, who had superintended the carrying out of the work without remuneration. ( Applause.)
Their thanks were also due to Mr Arthur Farquhar, the Captain of the club, Mr Grant, and Rev. J. Thomson, who in all probability had written the article which had appeared in the newspapers giving a full description of the course and the scenery which surrounded the course. ( Applause.)
There was another man who deserved their thanks. He had been most energetic, and one of the most excellent beggars he knew. ( Laughter.) He did it in such a nice way that nobody declined to help him, and that was their friend, who had come recently to the district, and associated himself in every good interest in Aboyne and neighbourhood. He ( Mr Nicol ) referred to their postmaster, Mr Smith. ( Loud Applause.)
Their chairman thought that, so far as their funds were concerned, they had done extremely well. But there was never a golf club or association in existence that could not take a little more money. ( Laughter and Applause.)
He ( Mr Nicol ) was told a horse or donkey was very much wanted to draw a big mowing machine, which they had not yet got. ( Laughter )
If anybody would present them with a horse or donkey, and a mowing machine, they would be very pleased indeed. ( Laughter and Applause.) They desired funds to come in gradually to the secretary. There was an aspiration that the course, now a nine hole one, would be made an eighteen hole one. He ( Mr Nicol ) did not think the course would be completed until the committee had made up their minds that they were to include one of the best hazards, and that was to go over Spion Kop. ( Laughter and Applause.)
They found that golf was played all over the world, Switzerland had about a dozen courses,and Germany and Austria were following suit. Even at Khartoum they had greens – they called them greens – ( Laughter ) – but they were not greens in the sense in which the people of this country recognised greens.
They had read in the newspapers about the enthusiasm of golfers. Only a short time ago, at St Andrews, no fewer than 15,000 spectators were present at the International Match, and it required a large force of police and forty stewards to keep the crowd in order. ( Laughter.)
But as the match went South, the number of spectators decreased and less than 1000 person’s witnessed the last day’s play at Deal. With regard to that match, Scotland was beaten, but not disgraced. There was another point brought forward by a gentleman – an M.P., and they always expected wisdom from an M.P. ( Laughter and Applause.)
He ( Mr Nicol ) had observed that Mr Crombie, member of parliament for the adjoining county, has stated at a similar function to theirs that a place was not fully civilised until it had a golf course. ( Laughter and Applause.) In that case Aboyne had been civilised many years ago by the course in the green. But now in Aboyne they had come to a state of greater civilisation - ( Laughter and Applause.) – and he hoped it would long continue in that way.
He ( Mr Nicol ) would strongly recommend the younger people not to take to golf ( Laughter ) Let them instead play Hockey, Football, and Cricket, as long as they were sound in wind and linb. ( Laughter and Applause.) but there was an advantage in golf ; they could play it as long as they could walk – ( Laughter ) – and even if they could not walk. ( Renewed Laughter.) He had seen people play at golf who were in a bath chair and on a pony. ( Laughter and Applause.)
He ( Mr Nicol ) had an acquaintance who was a golfer, and by the greatest stroke of luck he ( Mr Nicol ) had beaten him in a game which they had played. Mr Nicol, afterwards met his friends wife, who remarked,” Well, were you playing golf ?” “ Oh Yes,” he ( Mr Nicol ) replied. “ I hope you did not beat him, Mr Nicol,” were her next words, and he ( Mr Nicol ) replied, “ Oh Yes,” ( Laughter.) “ Well,” she continued, “ You don’t know what it means when George gets beaten at golf ; the house is simply unbearable.” ( Loud Laughter.)
Then there was the poor man who did not happen to be a golfer, but whose wife was smitten by the craze for golf. Her husband complained of the neglect of the family and household. He had spoken to his wife one day about the matter, and all that she said was “ you be niblicked,” ( Loud Laughter.)
He ( Mr Nicol ) wished the new golf course and its promoters all manner of success ( Applause.) The chairman then called upon Lord Aberdeen to declare the course open. ( Applause.)
Speech by Lord Aberdeen.
Lord Aberdeen, who had a most cordial reception, offered his hearty congratulations to the promoters of the new golf course. He and Lady Aberdeen were not present at the first part of the proceedings that day, much to their regret, but he had sent a telegram which explained that he and Lady Aberdeen would arrive a little late. Continuing, Lord Aberdeen said that they would remember that the official and correct designation of golf was the “ Royal and Ancient Game,” – Royal, no doubt, because the game was patronised by members of the royal family from time to time, and also because of its premier position amongst the games in Scotland. ( Applause.)
They must now allow their southern friends to forget that golf was a distinctly Scottish game ( Applause. ) When he ( Lord Aberdeen ) was a boy he was presented with a delightful volume entitled “ The Boys Own Book,” and one of the pictures in the volume was a stalwart Scotsman in Highland dress eagerly and excitedly engaged in pursuing one small ball.
On a near eminence a piper was playing to further excite the golfer’s ardour. Under this picture was written one word – “ Golf.” He ( Lord Aberdeen ) knew better, because he had been staying at Blackheath, where there was one of the oldest golf clubs in the kingdom. ( Applause.) The game of golf was called ancient because it really was ancient. ( Applause.)
On one occasion a family had arrived at St Andrews from England. On the following morning the eldest daughter of the family desired to see something of St Andrews and its locality. With that in view she issued forth, and on her return to the family the first thing she said was –“ Dear Me :- fancy, golf has penetrated to this out-of-the-way -place.” ( Laughter )
He ( Lord Aberdeen ) thought that the new course at Aboyne would rank high among the golf courses of the country for its surrounding scenery. ( Applause )
Those who had taken such an active part in carrying the project to a successful issue deserved their best thanks. There was one important procedure to take place by a lady whom they now regarded as one of themselves – he referred to Mrs Coats of Glen tana.
Mrs Coats was to drive off the first ball, and he desired to tender her in advance their most heartfelt thanks for coming with them in order to carry out that duty. ( Applause.)
He had pleasure in declaring the course open. ( Applause.) He trusted that many pleasant games would be enjoyed over the course. ( Applause.)
The chairman then called upon Mrs Coats to drive the first ball off the tee.
Mrs Coats, amidst much enthusiasm, drove off the first ball with a club which was presented to her by the committee of Management as a souvenir of the interesting occasion.
At the conclusion of the ceremonial proceedings a match was played over the course between teams representing the Royal Aberdeen club and the Aboyne Club. The play ended in a win for Aberdeen by 38 holes to 1 for Aboyne. Results :-
Royal Aberdeen Aboyne
Wm. Davidson …… …. …….. ….. 0 J. Williams ….. …………… …. … 1
James Pau 1st …………. ….. ……. 2 Captain S. Farquhar, R.N. …….. ….. .. 0
Dr Alexander ………… . …………. 2 J. Jeffrey …………. ….. …………. 0
T.L. Adam ……………… . … …… 6 E. Heaven ………… …. …………. . 0
H.R. Lumsden …………. … .. ……. 1 Capt. R. Heaven ….. .. ………… … 0
F. Macrae …………. ….. ………….. 10 W.R. Farquhar …………. . ………… 0
W.L. Foggo …………… . … …….. 3 J. Milne …… … ………….. ………. 0
A. Walker ……………………. .. 3 F.C. Waters ……… .. ……….. ….. 0
R.D. Leslie ………. …. …. ………. 2 Dr Macintosh …………….. …….. 0
H.J. Jopp ……………. …. ……. … 4 A. Sandison …………….. ………… 0
Mr Paul at the eighth, holed out in one with his tee shot.
Above, The new 1905 Layout of the course
Scotsman October October 20th, 1905
At a meeting of the members on Wednesday, it was reported that the money subscribed for the new course amounted to £478.10s. The course had been completed, a handsome new pavilion erected, and there was still a balance on the right side. The following were appointed office bearers for the ensuing year :- Mr Ean Cecil of Cragendinnie ; Vice President, Mr Eustace Heavens, Forest of Birse ; Captain, Mr James Willaims ; Vice Captain, Mr James Milne, Aboyne. Captain Tillard, R.N., and Captain R. Heaven were added to the committee.
Aberdeen Journal September 28th, 1908
Aboyne Golf Course
Speech by Lord Aberdeen
There was a very interesting ceremony at Aboyne on Saturday afternoon, when an addition to the beautifully-situated golf course was opened with fitting ceremony by his Excellency the Earl of Aberdeen in presence of a large and influential company of ladies and gentlemen from Aboyne and the surrounding district.
The weather, unfortunately, was dull and showery in the forenoon, and not very promising for the success of an outside function, and that probably kept away several who would otherwise have been present ; but about the time of the ceremony the rain ceased, the mist cleared from the hills, and the afternoon though not so bright as might have been desirable, was good. Since it was opened three years ago, the nine-holes course has been a source of great attraction to both residenters and visitors, the latter especially being delighted with its picturesque situation by the side of the loch of Aboyne extending Westwards.
So great was its popularity that the necessity of an extension to a regular eighteen holes course was proposed and heartily taken up by the committee of the Aboyne golf club, and especially by Mr James Williams, Dakota, chairman of the club, and Mr R. Smith, Postmaster, the efficient and enthusiastic secretary. Largely through the efforts of the latter, the funds for the extension and for paying off the debt on the original nine-holes course and the neat clubhouse were secured.
Archie Simpson, greenkeeper, and professional to the Royal Aberdeen golf club, was engaged to lay out the extension to the South and West of the nine-holes course on land leased on moderate terms to the club by the proprietor, Mr Ean Cecil.
The extension has been admirably completed, and may be seen to advantage by passengers on trains of the Great North of Scotland Railway company’s line which runs alongside part of it. Several artificial bunkers have been provided, and, added to several natural hazards make an excellent sporting course, which is likely to be appreciated by residenters and visitors alike.
There was a large attendance of ladies and gentlemen at the opening ceremony, which took place in front of the neat and convenient clubhouse, situated on rising ground overlooking the loch of Aboyne – a clubhouse designed and erected from plans prepared by Mr G. Bennet Mitchell, Architect, Aberdeen, who has his summer residence at Caen-on-coil, Aboyne. The following is the list of invitations, and most of those invited were present :-
Lord and Lady Aberdeen, Mr J.R. Heaven, Forset of Birse, and party ; Mr G. Coats and Mrs Coats, of Glen Tana and party ; Mr W.E. Nicol, of Ballogie and party ; Lady Brooks, The Neuk ; Major Davidson of Dess ; Messrs J.C. Barclay-Harvey of Dinnet ; James Williams, Dakota ; Harvey Hall, Deeside Lodge ; A. Sandyson, Aboyne ; Robert Williams, Birsemohr Lodge ; Ewan Cecil, Craigendinnie ; James Ledingham, Kincardine O’Neil ; J.F. Cochran, of Balfour ; James Duguid, Millbank ; James Wright, The Birches ; Hon. Mrs St John, Drumnagesk ; Mrs Pickering of Kincardine ; Mrs Davidson, Altdinnie Tower ; Admiral Sir C. Fare, K.C.B., Balnacoil ; Dr Farquharson, M.P. ; Dr William Gordon, Town Clerk of Aberdeen ; Messrs Genise Morgan, R.A. Springfield ; J. Dyce Nicol, Bank of England, Hull ; W. Bullouch, Kincardine O’Neil ; H.O. Davidson, Birchbank ; G. Bennet Mitchell, Cae-na-coil ; Henry Ross, Craigmore ; Dr W. Brodie Brown, Rosslyn ; Messrs A.G. Anderson, Bank House ; John Coutts, Homewood ; James Cruikshank, Schoolhouse ; Robert Milne, Bona Vista ; A. Grant, Pine Villa ; W.S. Milne, Aboyne ; John Troup, Aboyne ; A. Henderson, Pine Villa ; Gordon Smart, James Milne, Aboyne ; A. Fletcher, Vulcan Cottage ; G.H. Cowie, Thistle Bank ; John Davidson, Aboyne ; F.C. Waters, Falcon Cottage ; R.G. Nicol, of Ballogie ; A.H. Stephen, Tigh-na-Gaeld ; D.M.M. Milligan, Advocate, Aberdeen ; Mrs C. Farquhar,Craiglurch ; Messrs W. Farquhar of Carlogie ; Peter Stewart, Aberdeen ; Captain Farquhar, R.N.C.V.O., Mr Kildane ; C. Robinson, The Vicrage, Hunstanton ; Dr Mackintosh, Camden ; Messrs R. Smith, Viewfield ; C.C. Smith, Post Office ; Alexander Wright, Springfield ; Alec Watt, Springfield ; A. Carnegie, Birsemohr Lodge ; Admiral Sir Aurthur Farquhar, K.C.B., Mrs King, Dalry ; Messrs A. Littlejohn, Builder ; Surgeon-General Spencer, C.B., Mrs E. Duncan, Preasmohr ; Miss Ross, Maneos House ; Rev. J.D. Mackenzie, The Manse ; Rev. A.W. Wishart, Aboyne ; Rev. J. Thomson, St Margarets, Aboyne ; Messrs John Grant, ( Watt and Grant ) ; A.T. Curr, Linton Cottage ; David Calder, Norwood ; James Clubb, Lily Vale, Aboyne ; James Stewart, Salisbury House ; Andrew Black, St Lesmo Tower ; T.A. MacKintosh, St Catherine’s ; Mrs Methven, Bletsoe ; Dr J. Inglis, Misses J.and M. Crombie, Station Square ; Miss Farquharson, May Villa ; Sir John Clark of Tillypronie ; Colonel R.F. Caldwell, Inneshewan ; Messrs Joseph Farquharson, R.A., Moubray Farquhar, Drumnasgesk ; Commander Stuart Farquhar, R.N., Messrs Aurhur Robertson, Aboyner ; James Gibb, Aboyne ; Captain Ewen, Mrs Maxwell, Balfour House ; Mr and Mrs Graham, Granville Lodge ; Messrs George Coutts, Earn Bank ; A. Langebrink, Birchwood ; Lady Francis Cecil, Fasnadairoch ; Mrs Thornycroft, Miss A. Dugdale, Mrs Moggath, Glenalloch ; Miss Garnt, Luton Cottage ; Mrs Robertson, Kincardine O’Neil ; Messrs R.P. Robertson, Glasgow ; J. Russell Middleton, Altdinnie ; J.P. Hardie, Gavin Coutts, Birchwood ; H.H. Tory, Stanley Cottage ; A. Buchan, Bridgend ; F. Middleton, Galindo ; Alexander Mackay, Aberdeen ; F. Birss, Boddomend ; J.G. Henderson, Stanley Cottage ; John Henderson, St Eunaus ; Georg Allan, Station Agent, Aboyne ; J. Bremner, Tarland ; Miss Fraser, Lodge Cottage ; Messrs J. Stewart Watt, Advocate, Aberdeen ; G. Barclay, Edinburgh ; J. Harper, Bridg-end ; Hon Mr Pennt, Tigh-no-gaeld ; Mrs Drake, Graiglarach ; Mr Willoughby Brown, Auchintarf ; Rev. Cecil Nash, Mrs McNair, Mrs Davidson, Altdinnie ; Miss Ogg, East Rosebank ; Miss Hyde, Auchentarf ; Mr J.F. Gaskell, Cambus O’May ; Lieutenant E. St John, R.A., Drumnagask ; Rev. Dr Dunn, The Manse, Birse ; Rev. A. Mackenzie, The Manse, Coull ; Messrs J.F. Bush, Huntly Arms ; A. McKenzie, Dunmail, Cults ; Inspector Allan, Police Station ; Messrs W. Ewen, Station Square ; W. Todd, Do ; Ex Provost Grant, Ballater ; Mr J. Anderson Titaboutie ; Messrs W. Shiach, Aboyne ; John Watson, The Hall ; Mrs Thomson, Aboyne ; Mrs Grant, Aboyne ; Mrs Thain, Viewmount ; Mrs Wadd, Victoria Cottage ; Messrs David Mearns Westwood ; Duncan Calder, James Smith, Cameratta ; H. McWilliam, W. Duncan, Dee Cstle ; James Duguid, Ballater ; A. Henderson Jun, John Middleton, Huntly Cottage ; Robert Dinnie, Birsbeg ; Miss Murray, Schoolhouse ; Miss Farquharson, The Firs ; Miss Stewart, Bridge View ; Mr C. Smith, Primrose Cottage ; Miss Lindsay, Clifton Cottage ; Messrs Hendry, Kinaldie, Tarland ; A. Davie, Huntly Cottage ; and John Farquhar, Granville Lodge. Etc, etc,
The Opening Ceremony
Mr James Williams, Captain of the club, who presided, was accompanied to the clubhouse verandah by Lord Aberdeen, Mrs Coats of Glen Taner ; Me W.E. Nicol, of Ballogie ; and Mr Smith, secretary of the club.
The Captain of the club said they had met that afternoon to have a little ceremony in connection with the opening of the extension of the Aboyne golf course. The committee and the secretary of the club were very pleased to see that they had arrived at such a stage in the clubs career, as people generally could have no conception of the amount of work required for the laying out of a golf course, and having it opened for play. He was not to go into details, but he might mention that the course had cost them something like £1,000, and it was satisfactory to know that the money had all been raised, so that they would open the extended course absolutely free of debt. ( Applause.) He was not to say the course was the finest in the country, because if he did so his friend Archie Simpson might laugh at him, but he would say it was one of the finest inland he had played upon. ( Applause.)
He had not played on the extension to the course, but he thought all would admit that the course as a whole, was one of the most picturesque they could find in the country. ( Applause.)
They were glad to have Lord Aberdeen with them to perform the opening ceremony, and Mrs Coats of Glen Taner to play off the first ball. ( Applause.) He had pleasure in calling on Lord Aberdeen to address them. ( Loud Applause.)
Lord Aberdeen’s Speech
Lord Aberdeen, who was very heartily received, said – It seems to be recognised that on the occasion of the opening or extension of a golf course, the proceedings must include at least two items – namely, a speech of some sort, and, more essential a ceremonial first drive. ( Applause.)
Of course, the great object, both in the case of the speech and the ball, is to hit it off. ( Laughter ) With regard to the ball on this occasion, I have no doubt there will be a satisfactory and graceful performance ( Applause.) As to the speech, that is more uncertain. ( Laughter.) But, at any rate, one can keep to the short game – ( Laughter ) – and the more so because, in these days, to deliver an exhortation upon the merits and advantages of golf would be a superfluity ( Laughter and Applause.)
Probably all here are convinced, and thus the matter is so clear as to be, according to an old Scottish saying, a “ a teed ball,” ( Laughter and Applause.)
Some people, however, alas ! have discovered that it is possible to miss the point in the case even of so obvious, a thing as a “ teed ball” ( Laughter.) and, by the way, having quoted that phrase, as we have the pleasure of seeing amongst this assemblage some who do not claim to be of Scottish Nationality, it may be remarked that the fact of a sort of Scottish proverb being based on golf is sufficient proof – if such were needed – that the origin and fountain head of this celebrated game is in Scotland. ( Applause.) Of course, to scots who have played with, or seen, Morris, Park, or Robertson – not to speak of subsequent celebrities – the matter of the birth-place of golf goes without saying ; but possibly future generations may not always be so well informed. ( Applause.) And so the utterances on this occasion will rather be those of hearty congratulation to be exchanged, amongst the residents, temporary or permanent, in Aboyne, and their friends, neighbours and well-wishers. That is a comprehensive list, and it is well represented here to-day, and some who could not possibly be present send their hearty greetings and good wishes. ( Applause.) May I say that amongst those, Lady Aberdeen much regrets that she could not accept the cordial invitation of the committee to take part in these proceedings.
The fact is, she was previously engaged to open a sale of work at Tarland, and, of course, one must begin at home, though, indeed, we are made to feel very much at home at Aboyne – this delightsome locality where, with beautiful scenery, a noble river, and splendid air, there is everything to charm and attract. ( Applause.)
Truly, it is a gem of a place, and the setting has been completed by the provision of a most picturesque and admirable golf course, which has already proved to be a great success, and is this day, to be enlarged to authorised dimensions. ( Applause.) After seeing this attained, I suppose I shall be expected to go back to Tarland and its modest course feeling somewhat crestfallen. Well, I am not sure about that, the course there seems to be giving satisfaction, and is well patronised, and if there are those who find the course at Aboyne too much blocked with players, they may as well try a turn at Tarland. ( Applause and Laughter.)
Now the only drawback here to-day is the deplorable weather.
Bad enough in its effects on this gathering, though just now brighter, the effect of the weather here is a very small matter in comparison with the anxiety and concern caused by this prolonged spell of wet and mist in regard to the harvest. ( Applause.)
It is most serious and depressing, and we can only hope that the change may yet come in time, and that, as has sometime happened, a dry spell may make much reparation. ( Applause.)
And now we come to what I have already described as the essential element – namely, the inaugural stroke. I think it is a stroke of good fortune that you should have secured Mrs George Coats to perform this ceremony. ( Applause.)
Mrs Coats has proved herself to be a true friend and helper in the most sympathetic and effective manner regarding this addition to the attractions and welfare of Aboyne, and this is only characteristic of what Mrs Coats and her husband are ever ready to do in promoting the wellbeing and happiness of those with whom they associated in their Northern home. ( Applause.)
I am sure, therefore, that we shall give the warmest welcome to Mrs Coats, and I have now pleasure in asking her to symbolise the opening of the extended course. ( Loud Applause.)
Votes Of Thanks
Mr W.E. Nicol, of Blallogie, said that before they proceeded to have an exhibition of golf by Mrs Coats and others, they ought to accord a vote of thanks to Lord Aberdeen for coming there that afternoon, in inclement weather, to open the extended course. ( Applause.)
They were all delighted with the course, and were under a deep debt of gratitude to those who had arranged and provided so excellent an amusement for the inhabitants of Aboyne. ( Applause )
He ought to refer to one gentlemen in particular, and that was their excellent secretary. ( Hear, Hear, and Applause.) Mr Smith, he thought, deserved the most sincere thanks of them all. ( Hear, Hear, and Applause.) They knew perfectly well that when it was proposed to extend the course, their chancellor of the Exchequer began to trouble. ( Laughter ), However, a few “tenners” came in, and he was delighted, and after that ten “ tenners” in a jump were received, and there was no holding Mr Smith. ( Laughter and Applause,) in fact, it was fortunate that the post office authorities enlarged the post office or he could not have been held. ( Renewed laughter and applause.) As secretary of the committee, he had done really excellent work. ( Applause.) Then there was one gentleman who had had the matter of the extended course on his mind day and night – Sandy Grant. ( Applause.) It was currently reported that a ghost was to be seen in the middle of the night surveying the course, and at last arriving at “ Spion Kop” where he could look round on his handywork, he returned, it was believed, to a place called Pine Villa, the costume being what was generally supposed to be between the sheets. ( Laughter and Applause.)
Theybwere also under a deep debt of gratitude to Mr Sandison, Huntly Arms Hotel, who had kindly given them a large donation in kind, he having very generously allowed the horse work to be done almost entirely free of cost, so that they owed him mant thanks. ( Applause.)
Most important of all, they were greatly indebted to Mr Ean Cecil, the proprietor of the ground for his very great kindness in leasing the land at a very moderate rent, which would not bear heavily on the club’s finances. ( Applause.) Mr Nicol concluded by again asking the company to give Lord Aberdeen a hearty vote of thanks for opening the course that day. ( Loud Applause.)
The vote of thanks having been awarded with great cordiality, Mrs Coats was presented with a club with which to strike off the first ball from the tee near the clubhouse. This she did in a very graceful manner amidst the heartiest applause of the large crowd of ladies and gentlemen, while piper Charles Thomson played “ Lord Panmure” and “ Glendaruel Highlanders” on the bag pipes, and the successful formal opening proceedings terminated.
Thereafter an exhibition match was played over the course, the players being, Mr J. Heaven, Forest of Birse ; Archie Simpson, professional to the Royal Aberdeen Golf Club ;Cyril Hughes, professional to the Chester golf club ; and Robbie Mearns, a well-known Aberdeen professional, who accompanied Simpson.
A large crowd of ladies and gentlemen followed the players round the course, and were greatly interested in the play, which was of a high order of merit. The course was found in capital order, considering part of it was played on for the first time. The greens, it is true, were found somewhat heavy on account of having been so recently laid down and prepared, and also on account of the rain which had fallen heavily in the course of the forenoon. Fortunately, while the game was in progress, the rain had ceased, and the weather though, for the most part dull, was not against an exhibition of first class golf. It was agreed to play four balls, the result to be determined by the best individual score returned. Archie Simpson’s driving was magnificent, he easily proving his great superiority in the long game – a notable instance being at the longest hole on the old course, where he reached the green with his second stroke. On the putting green, however, he was not so good, the somewhat rougher nature of the turf as compared with the fine seaside turf to which he is accustomed on Balgownie course, evidently troubling him somewhat. He missed four comparatively short putts of a yard or so, but on the whole his play was good, as indicated by his excellent score of . This was excelled, however, by the English professional who returned the magnificently low score of 67 – a record for the course, which it is expected will stand for a considerable time unshaken.
Hughes was very steady in his play, for although his driving was outdistanced by Simpson, he was definite and deadly with his approaching and putting, and threw nothing away. His performance gave great satisfaction to the spectators. He has been resident at Aboyne for a week or two, and had been familiarising himself with the course, and that, added to his uniformly consistent play throughout, gave him what was regarded as a most popular and excellent victory.
The other two players, though playing a fairly good steady game did not attain any of the brilliancy of the former two players. Mr Heavens score was 76, and that of Merans 79.
In the course of the afternoon, tea was served to the company in a large marquee erected to the West of the clubhouse, Mr Sandison, Huntly Arms Hotel, being the purveyor.
An opportunity was also afforded visitors of seeing through the clubhouse, which it is now considered will require to be enlarged to provide accommodation for the increased membership which will accrue from the provision of the extended course, and the fact that, even at present, the accommodation is found to be limited.
When first erected, it was considered the clubhouse was too large, but the popularity of golf at Aboyne has been exceptional during the last year or so.
Scotsman June 8th, 1914
Vardon and Ray to Open New Course
The Thirty second annual meeting was held, when Mr William Ewen Laurerlbank, who was present at the first meeting of the club on its formation in 1883, presided. The secretary ( Mr C.C. Smith ) stated the total income, including a sum of £69 brought forward, amounted to £592. During the winter the extension scheme planned by Mr H.L. Curtis, of Bournmouth, had been completed, and it was proposed to open the extended course on 15th July, when matches between Harry Vardon and Edward Ray would be played. The expenditure in connection with the alterations had been entirely paid off. The office bearers for the ensuing year are as follows :- President, Mr Ean Cecil ; Vice President, Mr J. Herbert Tayler ; Captain, Mr Eustace Heaven ; Vice Captain, Dr D.D. Mackintosh.
Aberdeen Press and Journal July 16th, 1914
Vardon and Ray at
Opening of the altered
Champions Round of 64
Than the construction and rapid development of inland courses, nothing bears greater testimony to the remarkable popularity which golf has attained in recent years. A further impetus was given to the game on upper Deeside yesterday when Harry Vardon, the British Open Champion, and Edward Ray, British Open Champion of 1912, engaged in two exhibition games to mark the opening of the extended course at Aboyne. The players had a round under match conditions, in which Ray was victorious by 2 holes ; and the other round, which was by medal play, was won by Vardon with a brilliant score of 64, which will stand as the record for the extended course.
What Vardon Said
Ten years have elapsed since Aboyne was equipped with a course which was limited to nine holes. Such was the advance in the game in public estimation, however, that five years ago the course was extended to eighteen holes.
With a general improvement in the standard of play, the committee have for some time been considering the advisability of enhancing the sporting qualities of the course, and so providing a better test of golf. Yesterday’s proceedings were the outcome of the action taken by the committee of the club, and surveying their work they must be satisfied that their foresight is fully justified.
The course in its reconstructed state is well worthy of a holiday resort enjoying the popularity which Aboyne has attained, and if it does not supply a difficult test of golf to such as the scratch and plus men, it is sufficiently good a test as to fully satisfy the class of player who will be most frequently seen upon it. In Harry Vardon’s words “ it is a compact little course, something above the average of ordinary inland courses, and if it might be improved it would be by the provision of several more bunkers,”
By the alterations fully a thousand yards have been added to the length of the course. Several holes have been entirely disgarded, and have been supplanted by others of a more sporting character. The length of the third hole has been increased by fully 100 yards, and the sixth hole is new entirely. The hole is located on a plateau which it is intended to set amid a surrounding of “ Alps,” The twelfth is also a splendid new hole set down on the most sporting part of the course. Over £100 has been spent on improving the fairway, a huge quantity of boulders having been removed. The thirteenth green has been retained, but the approach has undergone considerable change, and, from an easy “Bogey 4,” the hole is now difficult in that figure. The total length of the course is 5010 yards, and the bogey score is 74.
Ray Finishes 2 Up
Ideal weather favoured the visit of the crack professionals. The burning rays of the sun were tempered by a cooling breeze, which, however, was not sufficiently strong to affect the play. The attendance numbered about 500, which, while falling a little short of expectations, was quite creditable. The spectators, furnished with a brilliant exposition of the game, and especially in the medal round, were not slow to show their appreciation of the executed shots. Probably on account of unfamiliarity with the course, the play in the match round was not maintained at the same high standard which characterised that under medal conditions. The keenness of the game by match play is reflected in the fact that at only four holes were decisive results registered. At the start there was a brilliant succession of 4’s, and the first outstanding piece of play in the match was recorded at the sixth, where Vardon with his second left Ray a dead stymie two yards from the hole, with Vardon’s ball lying midway. Ray very cleverly lofted his ball and holed out. The initial break in a long succession of halved holes came at the eighth, where ray, after being in the rough off the tee, had a lovely second and run up, and with Vardon requiring three to reach the green and two putts, Ray took the lead in 4 to 5.
Both holed putts of three yards for brilliant two’s at the ninth, Ray going out in 32 to Vardon’s 33, and turning one up. Good halves in 4s followed to the sixteenth, where Vardon got on equal terms.
He had a lovely drive on to the green, but the ball kicked and ran off into the hollow below. He pitched to within 4 feet of the disc, and got down in a brilliant 3. Ray pulled on to a ridge above the green, and then played too strongly, and was over and into the hollow with his next and then was short with his pitch back, and gave up the hole. Ray might have snatched a 2 at the seventeenth, where he putted weakly, but this indifference was eclipsed by Vardon, who missed an effort of two feet for a half. Another display of weak putting cost Vardon the home hole in 4 to 3, and the game finished with Ray 2 up.
The approximate details of the round are as follows :-
Vardon – Out – 4,4,4,4,4,3,3,5,2 – 33
In – 4,4,4,4,4,4,3,4,4 – 35 – 68
Ray - Out - 4,4,4,4,4,3,3,4,2 – 32
In – 4,4,4,4,4,4,5,3,3 – 35 – 67
Ray always drove the longer ball , but was inclined to hook. Vardon was the most accurate in his approaching, but gave away strokes on the greens.
Vardon’s Record Round
In the medal round, Vardon turned the tables, as going round in the magnificent score of 64, he was four strokes better than Ray, and was no fewer than ten strokes up on bogey. He kept a wonderful line throughout, and his putting was more dependable than it had been in the earlier round. He was slightly at fault on the first green, where he required three putts, but that was about his only mistake on the round. At the third, Ray lipped the hole from five yards. Vardon had a brilliant three at the sixth, where after being short of the green from the tee, he pitched on two yards from the hole, and got down his putt. At the seventh, Ray lipped the hole with a four yards putt for a 3. The Oxhey professional putted badly at the ninth, as after being on from the tee, he took 4, and turned in 34 to Vardon’s 33.
Vardon was in his Cruden Bay form on the homeward journey, which he accomplished in 31. He had a weak approach to the tenth, and missing a seven feet putt, required 5, but had hard luck in not getting down in 3 from the edge on the green at the next. Probably the best play of the day was seen at the thirteenth, which was halved in 3. Both followed up brilliant drives by finely judged pitches, and each holed a long putt of five yards.
At the fourteenth Vardon lying fifteen yards short, lipped the hole for a 2. Ray sliced his drive below the green at the sixteenth, and taking three to get on he required 5 to Vardon’s 4. A brilliant 2 was registered by Vardon at the seventeenth, where he holed a putt of eight yards and Ray, who was over the green and in the rough from the tee, required 4. At the home hole Ray found the bunker for the first time during the afternoon. He got out in brilliant style, but putted badly, and Vardon laying his run-up dead, holed out in 3, to finish in a brilliant 64.
The details of their scores are :-
Vardon – Out – 4,4,4,3,4,3,4,4,3 – 33
Home - 5,4,4,3,3,3,4,2,3 – 31 – 64
Ray – Out – 3,4,4,3,4,4,4,4,4 – 34
Home – 4,4,4,3,3,3,5,4,4 – 34 – 68
At the close both players got a great ovation from the crowd, who were delighted with the standard of the play.
Arran and Bute
Rothesay 1 Golf Club
1st course was Westland
Braemar Golf Club
Played on a temporary nine hole course from 1901 to 1903, they then moved to their existing site.
Huntly Golf Club
1st course in 1892
Inch Golf Club.
1st course was at Dunnideer Hill in 1906.
2nd course was opened in 1912 at the Recreation Grounds. Club re-opened in 1923 to 1940.
The club have been at their present site since 1982.
Aberdeen Journal June 1st, 1906
Insch Golf Course
First Course. “The new golf course at Insch was formally opened yesterday in presence of a good attendance of ladies and gentlemen. The course – one of nine holes – is situated about three-quarters of a mile to the north-east of the village. It is laid out to the best advantage on two pasture fields at the foot of Dunnydeer Hill, the property of Mr George Cooper, who is honorary president of the club. The first teeing ground is at the top of what is known as the Belts. The longest and best hole is close to the railway, and the driving is in the direction of the mill of Dunnydeer. For an inland course, golfers – especially the less experienced – will find that it provides ample sporting qualities. The greens are at present in a somewhat primitive state, but if they are well looked after for some time they will soon improve. The officials of the club may be relied upon to do everything in the way of improving the course. The membership of the club numbers about fifty – a most encouraging start – and there are indications that that number will be considerably increased. The president of the club is Provost Dawson, and the vice-president Dr Davidson, Mr W A Macdonald is captain, and Mr A A Middleton should prove an excellent secretary.
Provost Dawson was thankful that at last they had been able to formally open the new course as the original date had to be foregone because of bad weather. The club had been fortunate in getting a good and interesting course.The old castle of Dunnydeer stood on the hill behind, and overlooked the grounds; a very fine view of Insch and the surrounding district was obtainable. He hoped the course would be well patronised and tat it would be the means of bringing visitors to Insch. Mr Cooper, who had kindly placed the the grounds at the disposal of the club, was to have opened the course on the original date, but was now unable to attend as he was away on business. In his place was Mr Smith, of Pittodrie, who identified himself with all good institutions in the district. Mr Smith had kindly agreed to become a patron of the club, and had subscribed handsomely to the funds. Mr Smith then declared the course open and called on Mrs Cooper to drive the first ball. Mr Ironside presented her with a Driver as a souvenir of the occasion. Dr Davidson called for a vote of thanks to the ladies who had thoughtfully provided tea and cake, which were much appreciated.” (AJ 1.6.1906)
Scotsman July 5th 1912
The new golf course and recreation grounds at Insch, Aberdeenshire,were formally opened yesterday afternoon by the Hon. Mrs Leith Hay of Leith Hall who was accompanied by Mr Leith Hay. There was a large attendance. The ground measures twenty-nine acres, 12 ½ of which are old commontry gifted to the feuars by the superior, Mr C.E.N. Leith Hay with 16 ½ acres added from the adjacent arable land in order to complete the golf course. This latter portion is leased for a period of fourteen years from Mr Leith Hay by the committee of feuars at an annual rental of £24. For the fencing and improvement of the grounds public subscriptions amount to £250. including a donation of £50 from Mr Leith Hay, and a similar sum from Colonel J.F.Beattie, Emerald Bank. The grounds, which have been well fenced and nicely laid off abound with natural hazards and make a splendid nine hole sporting course.
Kirriemuir Golf Club.
Golf has been played at Kirriemuir as early as 1864 according to newspaper reports, although the club has its formation date as 1884. 1st course was at at Hill Of Kirriemuir.
The club has occupied their present site since April 26th, 1909.
Glasgow Evening Times May 5th 1897
Proposed new course at Kirriemuir
The annual general meeting of the Kirriemuir golf club was held on Monday evening. Provost Ogilvy was re-elected President ; Mr A.D. Donald, Vice President ; Mr Stewart Lindsay of Crawford Park, Secretary and treasurer ; and Mr George Kyd, match secretary. It was agreed with a view of securing a site for a new course, to negotiate for the purchase or lease of several acres of ground at East Hillbank, or the area of wood at Muirhouses farm, the property of Sir Leonard Lyell, M.P., Bart of Kinnordy.
Keith Golf Club.
1st course at Drum Burn in 1901 ( Included in this site )
Club has been at present site since 1963.
Lumphanan Golf Club
The club was playing at a course in the village in 1914 ( Aberdeen Evening Express July 11th 1914 ) albeit somewhat rough, however, their first proper course emerged in 1923 at the South of the village. The club folded in 1967 but managed however, to re-group, reform and open their present course in 2000. ( See Main Site )
Peterhead Golf Club
Alyth Golf Club
1st course opened in 1894 on ground belonging to the Rev. John Ross, Balloch and Captain Clayhills Henderson of Invergowrie.
2nd course opened in 1896 at Pitcrocknie Muir.
Club was resuscitated in 1903, we have the file etc.
Alyth Golf Course. 1894.
Perthshire Advertiser August 29th 1894
Alyth is not to be behind it’s neighbours any longer in the matter of that much to be desired recreative adjunct – Viz, a golf course. Following on the report of the recently appointed committee, which gave in a list of 68 intending members, along with satisfactory terms regarding the lease of the ground, it was agreed at a meeting held lsat week, that a club be formed, to be called the Alyth Golf Club ; The following office bearers being thereafter appointed :- Hon. Presidents, Rev. John Ross, Balloch, and Captain Clayhills Henderson ( The proprietor of the course ) ; Captain, Dr McPherson, Ruthven ; Sub Captain, Rev. J.R. McLaren, Alyth ; Secretary and treasurer, Mr D.S. Kidd, Solicitor ; Committee of Management : - Messrs J. Reid, A.M. Ferguson, Solicitor ; Mr W. A Thoms and Mr F.T. Garden. It was remitted to the committee to draft rules to be submitted to a general meeting of members.
The fees were fixed as follows : - Gentlemen 10s 6d , with an entrance fee of 10s 6d, Ladies 10s 6d. It was left to the committee to have the course laid out and procure the assistance of a practical golfer, if need be. This ended the business.
Perthshire Advertiser September 21st 1894.
The new golf course at Alyth was formally opened on Wednesday, when a large and distinguished company of ladies and gentlemen assembled on the grounds to witness the proceedings. Amongst those present were :- Rev. Dr McPherson, Ruthven ; Archdeacon Aglen, The Parsonage ; Rev. J.R. McLaren, Alyth ; Rev. P.G. Gilruth ; Major Robertson ; Mr John Reid ; Dr Bremner ; Mr Tom Morris , St Andrews ; Mr Tom Clark, Alyth ; Mr A.M. Ferguson, Provost Orchar ; Mr W.H. Thoms ; Mr F.T. Garden ; Mr James Japp ; Mr Herbert J. Japp ; Mr T. McMurray ; Mr Alex Clark ; Mr John Smith ; Mr Munroe ; Rev. G.B. Lunan, Newtyle ; Rev. William Wilson, Airlie ; Mr Jas Hill ; Mr A.B. Fenton, Kingoldrum ; Mr Richmond, Loyal ; Mr A.G. Primrose, Dundee ; Mr Robert Bruce ; Mr W. Graham ; Mr J.M. Tawes ; Mr D.S. Panton ; Mr Alex Hay ; Mr Robert Crabbe ; Mr John F. Craik and Miss Hood, Forfar ; Letters of Apoligy had been received from Sir John Kinloch M.P. ; Sir James Ramsay Bart, Banff ; Professor Ramsay, Drumore ; and Captain Hunter, Drumnacree.
Rev. D. McPherson said they had met for the very interesting object of opening a golf course in the neighborhood of Alyth. It was well known to golfers that a golf boom had set in all over the world, and it would scarcely do for a town like Alyth to be behind the age. In the spring of the year, Rev. Mr McLaren, the parish minister, an enthusiast of the purest type, had aroused from the lethargy which for some years he had fallen into, and had asked him to do something for golf.
They accordingly set themselves to try to stir up a little enthusiasm to get a club started. It was only about six weeks since they had had their first meeting, and all negotiations had been carried out since that time.
They had met with some opposition which which rather damped them, but on the other hand they had received such kindness that they were encouraged to go on. Dr McPherson then called upon Miss Isabella Jane Ross, Daughter of the Rev John Ross, Balloch, to strike the first ball, and this having been gracefully accomplished by the young lady, the course was formally declared open. The first match played was a foursome consiting of the Rev Dr McPherson and Rev. J.A. Mclaren against Provost Orchay and MrTom Morris. Provost Orchay and Tom Morris were the winners by one hole. The match was followed with interest by a considerable number of spectators.
Scotscraig Golf Club
1st course at Garpit Links
Inverary Golf Club
Formation Of Club
Inverary.- Golf- At a meeting of influential gentlemen connected with the district held on Friday last, it was resolved to form a golf club for Inveraray, the stable Park, opposite Inveraray ~Castle, being intended to furnish the course, for which it is considered very suitable.
June 10th 1893 Oban Times
Golf.- The newly-formed golf club for the Inveraray district has already made a good start, with a membership of thirty-six. At a meeting held last week for the election of office-bearers, Provost MacArthur was appointed president; Mr J. C. Maclullich, vice-president; Sheriff Shairp, captain; and Mr John Gilmour, secretary and treasurer; with the following committee- Messrs Jas. Wylie, chamberlain of Argyll; Archd. Henderson, town clerk; B.M. Wright, bank agent; J. Rose, Post-office; C.M. Guthrie, National Bank; and R.Dawson, Union Bank. The club has been fortunate in obtaining the use of an excellent course over the meadows, extending from the mouth of the river Aray to the foot of Duniquaich. It is a nine-hole course, measuring in all 2,190. Play goes on daily, and three prizes have been offered for competition, two of them by the Marquis of Lorne.
June 17th 1893 Oban Times
Inverary- Golf Incident. - The other day during practice on the Inveraray course, a somewhat unusual stroke of luck fell to the hands of one of the players. The golf ball, while being sent a long shot over a mound by Mr MacTaggart, Achadunan, struck a rabbit sitting near the mouth of its hole, and turned it over quite dead.
April 7th 1894 Oban Times
Golf.- A tournament was held during the past month by members of the Inveraray Golf Club, and the result was announced last week, Sheriff Shairp tying with Mr Ernest Smith for first place, and handsomely retiring in favour of the junior player, who had been allowed four points off each round. The latter was accordingly handed a complete set of fine clubs by the secretary, Mr John Gilmour. ‘Another competition takes place during the present month for two prizes presented by the Marquis of Lorne. This club continues to flourish, and much interest is taken by the members in the daily practice.
June 16th 1894 Oban Times
GOLF CLUB- The annual business meeting of the Inveraray Golf Club was held on Wednesday evening in the Argyll Arms Hotel-Mr Wyllie, chamberlain of Argyll, presiding. The Secretary Mr John Gilmour, handed in his report, which showed that the season had been a highly successful one, a steadily increasing interest having been manifested in the sport. The meeting fixed the entry money at 10s6d, and the annual subscription of members at 7s6d, of ladies and boys at 5s. The office-bearers having been re-elected, the chairman handed the following prizes to the winners for the past season (several others having already been distributed):- The Marquis of Lorns’s prizes-(1) A silver pepper box, in the shape of a golf club, to Mr John Rose; a handsome binocular glass presented by Mr Hugh Buchanan, won by Mr. B.M.Wright.
June 23rd 1894 Oban Times
Golf- The following is a complete list of the prizes and prize-winners on the Inveraray golf course during the past season:- The captains’ prize, Mr R.S. Munro; club prizes-Messrs Archd. Gilmour and Ernest Smith, golf clubs; the Marquis of Lorne’s prizes- (l)a silver pepper box in the shape of a golf ball, Mr Ernest Smith;(2) a silver pencil case in the shape of a golf club,Mr John Rose;binocular glass presented by Mr Hugh Buchanan, won by Mr B.M.Wright.
Inverary. – Golf Match
November 10th 1894 Oban Times
A game between teams representing the Inverary and Lochgilphead Golf Clubs will be played on the Inverary Golf Course on Saturday, 10th inst.
November 17th 1894 Oban Times
Golf Match – A golf match between teams representing Inveraray and Lochgilphead, was played on the Inverary course on Saturday last, when Lochgilphead won by 4 holes. The following are scores;-
D.Menzies 4 H.Smith 0
D.MacNicol 0 Sheriff-hairp 4
A.MacBrayne 0 J.H.Rose 7
D.Cam,pbell 3 J.Gilmour 0
J.Mitchell 8 B.M.Wright 0
June 1st 1895 Oban Times
Golf Tournament.- The Inveraray Golf Club held a handicap tournament (18holes) on Wednesday for prizes presented by the Marquis of Lorne. The following are the prize-winners;- 1, Archd. Gilmour, 101-18=83; 2, John H.Rose. 103-15=88; 3, Ernest Smith, 99-7=92; 4, Robert S. Munro, 114- 20=94.
May 30th 1896 Oban Times
Golf – Oban v Inveraray.- On Friday last eight members of the Oban golf Club played a match with eight of the Inverary club on the ground of the latter with the following results:-
Sheriff Shairp 1 Mr.C.Rankin 0
Mr.J.H.Rose 1 Mr.W.L.Menzies 0
Mr.Chas.MacArthur 0 Mr.MacNeill 5
Mr Wm.Stewart 1 Mr.John MacColl 0
Mr.Ernest Smith 9 Mr.H.MacDonald 0
Mr.Alastair MaCarthur10 Mr W.Smith 0
Mr Arch. Gilmour 2 Mr.J.Menzies 0
Mr.John Gilmour 5 Mr.MacDougall 0
June 27th 1896 Oban Times
Golf Club- the annual general meeting of the Inveraray Golf Club was held in the Argyll Arms Hotel on Tuesday last- Sheriff Shairp in the chair. Mr John Gilmour, secretary and treasurer, submitted his annual statement, which showed a balance of £8 to the credit of the Club. The monthly gold medal was presented to Mr John H. Rose, who had won it in five out of the twelve competitions. For the ensuing season it was resolved to offer two medals for competition one in handicap matches and the other in scratch. All the office-bearers were re-elected;and, on the motion of the captain (Sheriff Shairp), a special vote of thanks was accorded to Mr Gilmour for his very efficient services to the Club.
June 19th 1897 Oban Times
Inveraray Golf Club
Golf Club:- The annual business meeting of the Inveraray Golf club was held in the Argyll Arms Hotel on Thursday, when the secretary and treasurer, Mr John Gilmour, gave in his report for the past year, and received a vote of thanks for his services. The monthly competition medals were presented to the respective winners, namely, in the scratch competition, Mr Charles MacArthur; and in the handicap, Mr Gideon Scott. The following office-bearers were appointed for the year:- President, Mr William Douglas vice-president. Mr James Wyllie;captain, Sheriff Shairp; secretary and treasurer, Mr John Gilmour.
May 18th 1901 Oban News
Inverary Golf Club
At the annual general meeting of the Inveraray Golf club, held in the Argyll Arms Hotel on Tuesday- Mr Dickson, P.F., in the chair the financial statement for the past year was presented by the secretary, Mr John Gilmour, showing a balance of £4 in favour of the Club. Mr Gilmour received a cordial vote of thanks for his services, and he was unanimously appointed an honorary member of the Club. The meeting resolved that the handsome silver cup presented by Mr E.A.Lawson-Johnston be played for monthly under handicap conditions the cup to become the property of the member winning it oftenest during the season. The Club agreed to play a match with the Dunoon Golf Club at Dunoon on Wednesday, 22nd inst. While congratulating Sheriff Shairp on his promotion, the meeting recorded regret at the loss sustained by the Club through his removal to Ayr.
May 6th 1905 Oban Times
Golf:- In the weekly competition on Wednesday last for the Inveraray Club medal, the best scores were :-
Duncan Sinclair (sec) 82
Wm. Mitchell 102-12 =90
Lochgilphead Golf Course 1892.
1st Course opened in 1892 to the West of the village at Bank Park
Oban Times June 11th, 1892
Golf Competition.- Great interest has been taken in a golf competition which has taken place on the Lochgilphead course during the past week for a set of golf clubs presented by Dr Fraser, Falkirk. Some weeks ago, on account of the club and course having been recently formed, a competition took place among the members, in order to enable the committee to fix the handicaps, which ranged from scratch to 25 points. About a dozen of the members played Saturday for Dr Fraser’s prize, and a similar number on Thursday evening, both days being wet and stormy- indeed, so much rain has fallen of late that the putting greens were very soft, and almost unfit for play. Mr C. D. MacKenzie was scratch, and was quite unable to play against the handicaps allowed. The clubs were won by Mr A. MacBrayne with a score of 89 for the 18 holes, after deducting the 21 points which had been allowed him. It has been intimated that gold and silver medals will be competed for at the end of the summer.
Oban Times August 6th, 1892
Golf Competition.- The second of six monthly competitions for a silver medal, presented by Mr D MacCubbin, was played on the Lochgilphead course on Saturday afternoon, in suitable weather. Dr James Hunter, who took the first position last month, again secured the same position on Saturday with the total score for the 18 holes of 100 ; Mr A. MacBrayne coming second with 110, On Saturday only nine players turned out, and it is likely even this number will decrease as it becomes more evident who the winner is to be.
Rothesay Golf Club
Now on their 2nd course
1st course was at Westland Farm from 1892 to 1908.
They moved to their existing course at Eastlands in 1908, taking over part of the old Glenburn Hydro course. ( Glenburn Hydro is covered in the main menu. )
Tarbert Golf Club
Now on their 3rd course
1st course at Barfad Farm in 1898
2nd course in town between the pier and the village in 1908
Moved to their existing site in 1924
Tighnabruaich Golf Club
Now on their 2nd course
1st course from 1894 to 1901 was at roughly the same location
Tobermory Golf Club
Now on their 3rd course
1st course was at Erray in 1897
2nd course was at in 1907
Course existed here prior to the 1904 layout.
Ardeer Golf Club
Ayrshires 4th oldest club. 1st course laid out on the Stevenston Shore in 1880.
The club moved to a new location at Ardeer in 1905 where they stayed until the sixties, however, the ground was owned by the I.C.I. Company who required the ground back to build a factory, therefore the club had to once again move to a new location. They have been at their present location ( Lochend ) since 1965.
Beith Golf Club
1st Course at Grangehill from 1896 to 1907
Brodick Golf Club,
Isle Of Arran
1st course laid out on the high ground in 1897.
The club moved to its present site in 1913.
Cumbrae Golf Club
The Cumbrae club laid out an additional course due to congestion in 1914, however, this course only lasted till 1924.
Kilmarnock Municipal 18 holes
Kilmarnock Municipal Releif nine holes
Muirkirk Golf Club
1st course located at Auldhouseburn Farm from 1910. ( Also in Main site )
New Cumnock Golf Club
1st course in 1896
Present location since 1902
Stranraer Golf Club
1st course East of Stranraer at Bishop Burn Bridge from 1905 to 1940. This course was taken over by the war dept in 1940 and used as a transit camp. The club have been at their present site at Creachmore since 1952.
Skelmorlie Golf Club
1891 find course
Dunns Golf Club
1st course laid out at Castleknowes in 1894.
Dumfries & Galloway golf club
are on their second course
1st course at the Kerse where they played alongside other clubs ie, The Dumfries Mechanics, The Queen Of The South club etc, which are included in this site.
Lockerbie Golf Club ( Annandale ).
1st course laid out by Bob Ferguson ( Musselburgh ) in August 1889 on Lockerbie Hill.
The club moved to Broomhouses Farm in 1898 which was nearer to the town. They eventually moved back again up to Lockerbie Hill in 1907.
Moffat Golf Club
1st course at Chapel Farm from 1884 to 1905. Club moved to its present location at Coats Hill in 1905.
Wigtown Golf Club
1st course at Borrowness in 1894
Wigtown Golf Club was re – constituted in 1914 at their present site.
Edinburgh and District
Craigmillar Park Golf Club 1895 to 1907
1st course at Craigmillar Park in 1895 and moved to its present site in 1907.
Dalkeith & Newbattle Golf Club 1896 to 1934
The old Dalkeith Golf Club ( Formed in 1880 ) did not have a course of their own until 1896 when the Name changed to Dalkeith & Newbattle golf club, and a course laid out on the Kings Lines. The club then moved to their present location in 1934 and changed name again to Newbattle Golf Club Ltd.
Portobello Golf Club
Lochend Golf Club 1891 to 1908
1st course at old Leith Links and now playing at Craigentinny. Now celebrating their 125th year with a book written by Harry Ward.
Lufness Old Being researched at present
Balbirnie Park Golf Course
Burntisland Golf Club
Golf has been played on the foreshore at Burntisland since the late 1700s.
The Burntisland golf club moved up the hill to Dodhead in 1896.
Canmore Golf Club, Dunfermline
1st course at Bainbridge 1898 to 1902
Crail Golf Club
Sauchope Links Course 1
Sauchope Municipal Links 1928
Cupar Golf Club
1st course at Tailabout Farm from 1855 to 1876. They then played at Ladybank until 1896 when they amalgamated with the Hilltarvit golf club.
Dollar Golf Club
1. Market Park 1890 to 1906
Dunfermline Club Golf Courses
Leven Golf Club
The Innerleven golfing society began on Dubbieside Links in 1820, however, this course would eventually be out of favour by 1867.
Lochgelly Golf Club.
Several courses ( To be typed )
Thornton Golf Club
1st Course in 1921
Club moved in 1925
Glasgow and District
East Kilbride Golf Club
East Kilbride golf club’s first course was at Show Park from 1900 to 1910.
2nd course at Blacklaw from 1910 to 1923.
The club moved to Nerston in 1967.
Glasgow Golf Club.
1st course at Glasgow Green.
2nd course at Queens Park.
3rd course at Alexandra Park.
4th course at Blackhill.
Present site at Killermont since
Also have course at Gailes, Ayrshire.
Kilsyth Golf Club
1st course was at Balmalloch from 1899 to 1905
The club moved to its present location in 1905
Inverness Golf Club
1. Muir of Ord ( To be typed )
2. Longman ( To be typed )
Braehead Golf Club
( Formerly, Alloa, ) Played their early golf at Arnsbrae from 1891.
Re-located to their present site in 1926
Tulliallan Golf Club
First course was on opposit side of road ( Still to research )
Airdrie Golf Club
1. Drumbathie Farm 1876 to 1878
2. Old Race Course 1878 to ?
Biggar Golf Club
Celebrated their centenary in 1995 with a book by Alfie and Harry Ward ( Biggar golf club, A History ).
are now on their 3rd course. The club’s previous sites were :-
1. Langlees 1895,
2. Heavyside 1901 ( Tom Morris )
The club have occupied their present site at the Public Park since 1907
Opening Of Langlees Golf Course 1895
Golf Course – The golf course at Langlees was formally opened for play on Tuesday afternoon. Miss Thomson of Huntfield drove off the first ball in presence of a large gathering of ladies and gentlemen. Thereafter, Provost Lindsay, in name of the members of the club, thanked Miss Thomson for her kindness in taking part in the opening ceremony, and presented her with a silver mounted cleek as a souvenir of the occasion. The course, which is a nine hole one, is pleasantly situated , and commands a magnificent view of the clyde valley. It is well laid off, and will, we are certain, prove a great attraction to the many visitors who during the summer months reside in our little town.
Some time ago, a movement was set afoot, with the result that on the Heavyside grounds belonging to one of Biggars greatest benefactors – Mr J.L.Murray – an admiral course in every way has been laid out. The course, though only extending to nine holes, takes one over many historic parts, and the golfer, though he may be the greatest enthusiast, cannot but feel the effects of walking over one of natures beauty gardens. A stylish and thoroughly up to date golfhouse has been erected in which one might after a round, rest and survey the beauties of the surrounding country, or refresh oneself with the more creature comforts.
There was a large and fashionable attendance at the opening ceremony on Saturday, and the number of golfers present augered well for the future success of the course.
Mr R.G.Murray, in calling upon Tom Morris of St Andrews, said the game of golf was pre-emminently a scotch game. It had been played in Scotland for hundreds of years, and it was only within recent years it had been introduced to other countries. He was proud therefore, to have the honour of calling upon, and they as a club were proud of having such a man as Tom Morris as their guest to open their new golf course.
Mr Morris then stepped forward and teeing his ball drove off for the first hole amid loud applause-the length of the drive showing that old toms hand had not yet lost its cunning.
Carluke Golf Club
are now on their 3rd course. Previous sites were :-
1. Belstane Farm 1893
2. Langshaw Farm 1895
The club have occupied their present site at Hallcraig since 1910
Hamilton Golf Club.
1st course at racecourse
Leadhills Golf Club
are now on their 3rd course. Previous sites were :-
1. Broadlaw 1891
2. Wetbush 1927
The club have occupied their present site at Broadlane Park since 1935
Larkhall Golf Club
Were resuscitated etc
Wishaw Golf Club.
1st course at Waterloo and Greenhead Road in 1894 although the club have its institutuion date as 1897.
2nd course was at Gateside Road which was to the West of their existing site which they have occupied since the 1930s.
Fauldhouse golf club
( Greenburn ) 2nd course
1st course at Fallowhill
Forres Golf Club
1st course at Findhorn Links
Orkney & Shetland
Shetland Golf Club
Peebles Golf Club
Now on their second course at Kirkland Street, now a municipal course, however, the club's first course was at Morning Hill on the South side of town.
Peebles Advertiser March 4th 1893
We have much pleasure in recording that this club has made a capital start, and now has a large membership. At a meeting of the committee the other night, three beautiful medals were handed to the secretary, Mr Wm. Lyon, solicitor, to be competed for during the season. One of these is a large and most artistically designed silver medal, which will be competed for under handicap rules, but the precise terms of the competition for it have not as yet been determined. Another of these medals is of gold, and is intended for competition by the lady members of the club, the most successful competitor during the season being the holder.
Then there is a finely got-up silver cross, which will be competed for once a month by the boy members, under handicap rules, and will become the property of the most successful competitor for the season. These handsome medals should prove a great incentive to competitors to do their utmost in the competitions for the coming season.
We understand that arrangements are being made for the erection of a suitable pavilion on the course, which will prove a great boon to the members.
Peebles Golf Course ( Morning Hill ) 1893.
Southern Reporter, April 20th 1893.
Opening of New Golf Course.
The formal opening of the new golf course and club-house at Peebles took place on Saturday week in beautiful weather.
There was a large attendance of players and the general public, and the Provost, Magistrates, and Town Council were also present. The Captain of the club, Mr Henry Ballantyne of Minden, said he was glad to see so many present, which he thought went to show that this latest addition to the attractions of Peebles was a great success.
He called on Mr Walter Thorburn M.P. to declare the course open. Mr Thorburn said he had to congratulate those who had been engaged in the formation of the club and the town of Peebles in at last being in possession of a ground which was second to none of any of the inland courses of Scotland.
This is a dream course for guys like us with remains of greens and tees everywhere
A similar modern view as above. Sheep are on the 8th green
8th tee in corner next to fence and 7th green before it just over the ditch and rushes
Perth & Kinross
Dunning Golf Club
( Still to be typed )
Strathtay Golf Club
Birnam golf course
Still to be typed
Greenock Golf Club.
Greenocks first course was at Bow Farm from 1873 to 1876
Paisley Golf Club
Existing course at Gleniffer Braes since 1946
1st course was at the Bushes from 1896 to 1945
Ross & Cromarty
Bonar Bridge Golf Course
Invergordon Golf Club.
1st course at Rosskeen, field of Balblair, adjoining the Castle in 1893
2nd course at Joss Street in 1921.
The club have been at their present location since 1996.
Portmahomack Golf Club
1st course behind the school in 1894
2nd and present course started in 1909
Kelso Golf Club
1st course at Friar’s Haugh in 1887
The club have played at Berrymoss since 1913 with various course layout changes over the years.
Balfron Golf Club.
Balfron originally tried to form a golf club as far back as 1896, but without success. It would be 1905 before their efforts to secure ground for a course became successful, however, the club's first course was duly opened at Park quarry Farm on September 15th 1905. The club then folded in 1939 and have been at their present site since
Callander Golf Club,
are now on their 2nd course. The club's previous site was at Muir Of Gart from 1889. They have been at their present site since 1893.
Lybster Golf Club.
Ulapool Golf Club
Now on their 2nd course ( Included in site )